shape
carat
color
clarity

"investment" grade diamonds???????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

caltron

Rough_Rock
I've read that a diamond that is

-ideal cut
-D,E,F in color
-and/or VV1,VV2 or better in clarity

is an "investment" grade diamond and too fine for everyday wear. The book I read analogized it to having a fine coin collection.

Is this true? If so, that would make things a lot simpler for me!! Thanks.

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Buying a diamond for "investment" is not a wise choice. Over time, diamond prices have actually degraded rather than risen. Buy a diamond to enjoy and wear and love. Leave money market, IRA, real estate, etc, for investments.

:)

biscuit

Rough_Rock
Bingbongbug!

I agree with you 110%!

:praise:

Derek

Rough_Rock
I agree, not a wise investment. The real trouble is that the diamond trade is not a free, commodity type market. The entire distribution channel is controlled by DeBeers (so is the price).
Their site is down for some reason but here is a great article I ran across:
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/82feb/8202diamond1.htm

-D

caltron

Rough_Rock
This helps out quite a bit. Basically, I should get a good diamond to wear and not worry about whether I'm ruining an investment, is what I'm getting. I'd read a book by some guy who felt that it was a waste for ordinary people to purchase the D, IF, etc. diamonds because they weren't investing.

Thanks all!

Derek

Rough_Rock
Personally I would agree. A D FL/IF is going to cost a lot. Of course though if you have the money and it makes you (and her) happy by all means get it. I don't have unlimited resources so I am happy with eye clean, I've seen down to SI2 and H and above (just to be safe).
Good luck!
-D

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Lets put it in a nutshell

Diamonds are an excellent investment ----- For diamond dealers

The best investment is the fast sellers-------- Whatever that is for your market
:twirl:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I never view my diamond stock as an investment, because it does not go up in value over time - if it is slow to sell - I mark it down after a year - not up!

The exception is pink diamonds because they are rare and getting rarer as demand increases.

A bank or a fund will declare their margin, maybe 8% if you borrow from them and 4% if you loan money to them - margin is 8-4=4%

I do not know anyone who can sell anything other than pure gold on those sort of margins.

wndrful

Rough_Rock
Hmmm... Caltron are you asking

"is there any advantage (in terms of looks or performance) in buying D-E-F IF-VVS diamonds for day-to-day use over other diamonds of lower color and clarity?"

These guys have answered your questions already. About color though your preference could be from F to H for colorless. You have to see diamonds with your owns eyes to decide what you like.

Also there are some who like the looking of colored, say I-J with a strong fluro. Thats again something you will have to see with your own eyes and decide.

:))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results