shape
carat
color
clarity

Introducing Reena''s Rite Hand (OEC?) Family Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reena

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been meaning to post pics of my right hand ring for a while now, so here it is . . . this ring was handed down to me by my mother, who received the ring from her uncle when she was about my age. Apparently, her uncle created the ring for his wife (who was deceased by the time he passed the ring down to my mom) using the diamond from his mother''s and his father''s rings. Thus the stones are fairly old and have been in my family for a long time.
1.gif

Pricescoper''s nightmare: I don''t have the faintest idea of the specs on the stones.
6.gif
I suppose I could have it appraised, but I''ve never gotten around to it. Maybe some day. In truth, I''m not even 100% positive what cut the two stones are--my mom told me she thought they were OMC, but I think I''ve heard that OMCs are not usually round, so I''m guessing OEC. It''s a little hard to tell, though. Maybe you experts out there can give me your opinions! As you may be able to tell from the pics, the band of the ring is gold, but the scrolls on the face of the ring are white gold.

I really really love this ring because, although the design is a little "unusual" and not something I would have selected on my own, I know that the reason for that was 100% sentimental (i.e., my uncle wanted to create something special for his wife that incorporated both of his parents'' stones into a single ring). Which I think is cool. In addition, the diamonds are FAR from perfect--one has a chipped girdle, and both have visible inclusions (I looked at it under a loupe once--woah
rodent.gif
), but they''re still beautiful. I like having a little reminder on my finger that, despite our (my!) obsession with things like carat weight and color and pavillion angles, those things don''t ALWAYS have to matter.
1.gif
love.gif
21.gif

RHR3a.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
A few more . . .

RHRcollage1.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
And a few more.

RHRcollage2.JPG

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Your ring is pretty cool. Always nice to have a gorgeous diamond ring passed down to you
2.gif

OMCs are round. One way to tell if your ring has omc's set into it is that the crowns will be quite a bit smaller than average. I'm not sure how else to tell, but have looked at a few antique rings and noticed that both had smaller crowns and steeper angles that raise up between the girdle and crowns. They're fun stones because they're a bit different.
9.gif

Michelle

reena

Ideal_Rock
And, hey, just for kicks, here's what the ring looks like on the Velter.
naughty.gif
(Can't you tell it's a BIG HARD-PARTYING FRIDAY NIGHT here at my house!?!?!)

VeltRHR12.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thats very pretty. So it goes back two generations, very cool
1.gif

I think one thing that might also help you determine if it's an OEC is if it has the open culet on the bottom.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The dog looks good with the ring. She/he is very cute.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
What a great ring Reena!

It's amazing what a little sentimentality will do to your judgement of beauty! I have a couple of pieces (nothing as great as that ring tho) that I would never pickout for myself, but the fact that they have so much meaning makes them just beautiful, and fun to wear.

Thanks for sharing.
9.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
thanks! that's my little buddy roosevelt, and i'll be sure to tell him that you think he's handsome. it will make his night.
3.gif

it's hard to tell re: the culet since the stone is mounted, but i think the culet is pointed, not flat. The stones also have fairly small tables i think, but then again i haven't looked closely enough at the tables on regular RBs to be able to compare.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
There are also transitional cuts and early round brilliants so it could be something like that too. There have been a lot of postings on the subject.

p.s. Is your pup pomeranian?

reena

Ideal_Rock
yes, you're right, it could definitely be something in-between.

my pup is a papillon but you were VERY close; the two breeds look a lot alike.
1.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reena, that is a very pretty ring. I really like the design of it.
We may see you in CA yet
1.gif

Websailor moved from NY to CA after high school and really enjoys it out here.

Really cute dog by the way.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Your RHR is very nice, and I think when you know the story behind it, it's 10x nicer still.

Roosevelt looks like he's a bit bored by it and is just anxiously waiting for the upcoming work of art from Leon.

BTW, Reena did I read the other day that you grew up in Rochester? I did to. But in Chicago now. About the only things I really miss on a consistent basis are Wegmans and Abbotts.

sparkler29

Shiny_Rock
Reena!!! Beautiful family heirloom! You're very lucky to have such a cool piece of your family history. I think it's beautiful, and your puppy seems to agree!! Enjoy it.

I have a few nice pieces from my family, including a brooch I just inherited from my grandmother encrusted with 20-something small and beautiful diamonds. She gave it to me for my engagement, but it's almost too fabulous to actually wear. As soon as I master my camera skills I'll post my treasures!

reena

Ideal_Rock
thanks guys!

with respect to the geographical comments:

cflutist--CA is almost 90% for sure now! we're really excited as we have grown to hate the city.
sad.gif

lindsal--YOU DID? that's a pretty big coincidence! whereabouts did you grow up? my mom lives in penfield and my dad lives in greece. you pretty much hit the nail on the head there with the wegmans
love.gif
and abbotts
love.gif
! especially weggie's--THE best grocery store on the planet!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
reena, that is a beautiful and special ring...
1.gif
I have been tempted by a couple very similar ones at Fay Cullen. I love the two diamond vintage look.

PS you need to give it a name--like the "Good, bad, ugly" thread but a cute, cool funky good name.
2.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
That ring is soo cool! REALLY nice big stones for having been in the family so long.. And I just love the way they are set next to each other like that. Seems like everyone has a lot of family jewelery.. I wish I had a family ring but at the same time I am getting a nice family DIAMOND which is gorgeous.. so I guess I can be happy with that..

And oh my gosh your dog is so cute. What is his name? I want a little bitty dog like that. I have wanted a papillion since there was that allergy commercial a couple years ago with the papillion named rufus.. and she carried him in her purse. Do you carry him in your purse? My bf knows I want a dog to carry in my purse and we saw these little stuffed toys that are a chiuhaua in a little pink bag and if you press its ear it barks and wags its taill and he bought it for me on one the days I was moping cuz I don't have my e-ring yet..

reena

Ideal_Rock
lol, you are all so funny. MS, his name is roosevelt and i also have a female papillon named sophia. (BAD reena for not posting pics of sophie, too.) they are the most wonderful, loving, happy, friendly, loyal little creatures on the planet.
1.gif
i absolutely adore them.

i sometimes used to carry sophia in my purse because she's small enough (6 lbs) but the velter is a mega-man (13 lbs) so he's way too big. but i've stopped doing that because (1) my BF refuses to walk down the street with me when i'm carrying animals in my purse
2.gif
(2) we got both dogs in law school, and i went to harvard, so when i would carry soph around in my bag i would get one two many "legally blonde" comments for my taste!
2.gif
1.gif
i cut that out in a hurry!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
That's a beauty Reena- how special

Patty

Ideal_Rock
The ring is beautiful Reena and how lucky you are to have a family heirloom!

The pup is cute but I had no idea that it was so small based on the picture! You know how we always ask for pictures of rings on the hand to get perspective? I think that dogs should be in their owners arms or standing next to them for us to see how big they are (or aren't)!

reena

Ideal_Rock
yes, it's a litte tough to tell from the picture on my avatar cause there's nothing else there for reference. that picture was taken when the velter was just a little pup--he was 3 pounds when we got him and he probably weighed about 4 pounds there. now he's up to about 13! big for a pap but small as dogs in general go. soph was the runt of the litter--she was 2 pounds when we got her and she only grew to be 6 pounds. not a very drastic difference! she's "petite". i'm feeling guilty so i'm going to post a picture of her, too.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Reena,

I think your RHR is just gorgeous! It's a beauty by itself, but when you add in the wonderful history and the love and care your great-uncle put into it, WOW!
eek.gif

My cousin has a papillon, his name is Tucker. Not as brown as Roosevelt is though. And certainly not as big - 13 lbs for a papi!! That's as big as my fat-cat (Katie), who's twice the size of Tucker! My other kitty (Sammy) is 7 pounds though, so I've got a feline version of Sophie too.
1.gif

JCJD

reena

Ideal_Rock
tucker! that's a great name for a pap. i'm sure he's a total lover.

here's pics of my little soph. (guess i should also post these on that other thread that's on DH right now.)

Soph1.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
here's another one of the velt that i just couldn't resist. we think that he just has such a regal air about him! like he's a prince or something.

if you look realllly closely you'll note that R has some ice too, on his collar! okay they're rhinestones but whatever. i tried but i couldn't resist getting "R" and "S" rhinestone initial pendants for their collars. (my BF is mortified . . .)

Velt.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock

reena

Ideal_Rock
oops it didn't work the last time but here are the two little munchkins together.
love.gif

sophieandvelter.JPG

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
They are so totally cute!!!! I like that they have some bling-bling too...makes them feel right at home with their owner (wink wink, big grin).

Yor ring is neat too, especially the history and sentiment behind it. That counts a lot! Wear it with great joy!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
oh reena!!!! your doggies are ADORABLE!!!!

and your RHR is gorgeous
love.gif
thank you for sharing the story behind it
1.gif

do you wear it every day?

reena

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, for the compliments on the RHR and especially the doggies! Yes, I do wear the ring every day . . . but I think when I finally get my e-ring I might have to retire it, at least for a little while.
sad.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did I miss this one! These two stone rings do it for me every time.

Lucky you Reena for the ring with a story
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results