shape
carat
color
clarity

Introducing myself, but hopefully not staying!

violette

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies -- I've been a long time lurker, especially in the colored stones forum to get ideas for designing my ering. Quick background: my SO and I have been together for almost a year and a half, we're in our late twenties, and have a family full of four-legged fur-critters already. We went ring shopping about 2 months ago and ended up having a ring custom designed. It is now in his possession, but I'm hoping to have it on my finger soon!

He's made it clear that it's coming soon (like within a week soon), because neither of us likes to play games, and it's not like it's going to be a surprise at this point. However, I'm STILL excited, stressing, anxious, and slightly obsessed with when it's actually going to happen. At this point I think I'm way more excited to see the ring than anything -- I mean, I know I love him and that he's perfect for me, so the only thing left to wonder about is what the ring ended up looking like! I'm sure it's going to be great, but I had our jeweler mesh two styles together, and I'm dying to know about some of the details, such as how much the cathedral shoulders taper in. Oh yeah, I'm just a little detail obsessed. I also went with a colored stone instead of a diamond... I'll talk more about it soon, but it's a stone I haven't seen yet. When we went to see the rings and stones the jeweler had, he had one small stone, one large one, and nothing in the middle (round, 5.5-6mm range), so I left it in his hands to find me the perfect stone. Hopefully I'll get to see it soon!

I know it's not happening today, since it would be in bad taste to propose on the 9/11 anniversary, but I guess any other day this week is fair game. Anyone else super-close?

sjm

Rough_Rock
Hi Violette!
I am totally feeling you! SO and I also went the custom route and though we had narrowed it down to our top 3 rings while ring shopping, I have no clue which way he went for the actual design. I have not at all been involved in the design portion of this and all I know is that he chose a stone and that he initially met with the designer on Aug.18. The last peice of information I was allowed to know was that the custom design process was supposed to take no more than 1 month (but it could be less - I for some reason had 3 weeks in my head from somwhere). My SO and I are sort of like you guys in the sense that we don't like games but I know he wants the proposal to be a surprise and I am working hard not to ask questions to allow him that space. BUT 3 weeks would have been this past thurday soooo I am definitely playing a waiting game. I think SO is starting to get antsy in wanting it all to be official already so I also feel like it could be any day now!

Congrats on finding the one! Can't wait for your official announcement and pics of the ring!!! I love coloured stones - I am sure it will be stunning!!! Dust to you!!

OrchidVee

Rough_Rock
Welcome!!! :wavey: Can't wait to hear your engagement story and see the beautiful pictures!!!

I am close like you!!! Well, not as close (I doubt it will be this week), but my guess is in the next month or so. My birthday is Oct 3 and our anniversary is Oct 17th, so my guess is he will do it then. We also went the custom route and the ring has been paid for and made. I BELIEVE he has it, since he has been acting odd and really protective of certain areas of the apartment and his phone (which he NEVER cares about his phone). Of course this has me even more anxious and excited (more LIW nightmares lol).

Anyway, DUST and happy soon-to-be engagement!!!!

violette

Rough_Rock
Thanks sjm and orchid! These are such exciting times!

I was not originally expecting to play such a big role in my ring selection, but my SO is completely clueless about jewelery and design and was more than happy for me to take the lead. In fact here is an example of what I mean from our ring shopping. We had a private appointment with the jeweler who brought over a few different rings that I have mentioned liking. Two were in white gold and one was in yellow gold. I tried them all on, and the only comment my SO made was that he didn't like the yellow gold ring -- because it was yellow gold. "Yes, honey, but whatever ring we get will be made in white gold. Do you like the setting itself?". Him, "I don't like the color of that one". Sigh.

We actually ended up agreeing that we both preferred pave bands over solitaires, and white gold was a given (mixed with palladium, since I don't want to risk a nickel allergy). After we decided on pave and the colored stone, I started to really like cathedral settings, so I emailed back and forth with the jeweler to see if he could tweak the design of his cathedral setting to add pave and taper the top of the shoulders a bit. I don't think these modifications required him to make a new cad, so I guess I should call the ring semi-custom. I've also seen settings similar to that before, so my ring shouldn't be "too out there" or anything, but I'm still very curious to see if it turned out like I pictured when I ordered it. Now, I say I ordered it because I did all of the email correspondence with the jeweler, and used our joint checking account for the deposit, but SO paid the balance on his own and had the ring shipped to his office (but I still got the email tracking # and the UPS box, minus the ring, is now sitting on our coffee table). He wants to plan some sort of sweet and romantic proposal (because he thinks that's what I want), but he did promise me that he wouldn't wait more than a week or so, and that was already a few days ago. Soon!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Lots of proposal dust heading your way!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome!! Can't wait for the proposal and to hear more about this ring!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Welcome!! Let's hope your stay is not long at all! The fiancee and I went the custom ring route as well and while it has made some aspects soooo much easier, it did give me some worry since I didn't get to see the ring finished, just the gold. However, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the ring turns out since we think we know how it's going to look, but not 100% sure.

**************************DUST***************************************

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results