shape
carat
color
clarity

Introducing myself as a new LIW

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
:wavey: Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on the LIW boards for awhile now, so I thought it only fair to introduce myself. I've been posting a teeny bit in the CS boards, but am not the most active PS-er.

I've been with my SO for about 2.5 years now, and formalities aside, we are practically engaged. We're juggling 5 cities between us for work, grad school and families these days which makes making time for each other more of a challenge, but it's amazing how "normal" we're able to keep our relationship despite that. Between the distance, crazy schedule, an upcoming year-long-international-research-leave for me and some cultural expectations for SO's brother and his GF, we're not too sure when the formalities (aka ring and engagement) will actually happen but we're excited nonetheless! I think he's more eager to get to the marriage and kids part of the journey than me, which I think is pretty adorable.

We met in a bar when I was out partying for my room-mate's birthday, and he was out with friends from work. TBH, I didn't think it would really go anywhere after the first date, but we seem to keep falling even harder for each other as time goes on ::) . Luckily the more complicated parts of our relationship seem to have happened when we were at least in the same city, so now it's mostly logistical challenges that creep up from time to time.

As far as the ring goes, we know we want to go with a coloured center stone, but the stone stats and setting ideas keep changing, so in a way it's a good thing that there's probably a long wait on the list in store for me :naughty:.

In any case, it's nice to know there are other particular and sometimes impatient ladies out there like me, and I'm excited to join the group :) !

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: welcome! I hear you on the setting battle. I think I've changed my mind a million times!!!

What settings have you been looking at, and what kind of stone do you want set? :Up_to_something:

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Welcome! I am officially not last on the list anymore! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
nicstx
My latest plan is to have a round medium blue/violet sapphire or spinel in a plat setting with diamond pear sides in BDG's Grace 3-stone setting, or a Leon (contingent on budget and some recent concerns about the structural integrity of his settings). My current dream set would be to have a matching round plain band, and diamond pave eternity so I could wear the bands as a pair when I want something low profile (my work sometimes requires nitrile gloves and getting messy, but I'd still like to wear at least some of my rings).

I've also considered an E-W oval in a custom Cathy Waterman-esque setting (pave oak-leaf shoulders), a cushion double-row halo on a plain shank, a solitaire in one of JBEG's settings or a 3-stone in their Astin (which is least likely now since I don't think we'll be ready before they stop doing custom work ;( ), a cushion with graduated french cuts... pretty much anything and everything, I've been in love with it :rolleyes: I also went through a phase of intense infatuation with a James Meyer, but unfortunately the stones he has aren't what I'm looking for and he no longer sets customer stones.

SO is on board about the colour, and prefers a more simple look (he'd go with a plain solitaire if he had his way) so in that sense, I think my current 3-stone idea is least fussy but still gives me more bling than a solitaire.

Do you have a ring/setting picked out?

Phdecorate
Heheh, glad to have relieved you of the position! Now we just need to lure more lurkers... :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY!! Fresh meat :wink2: Welcome!!! :wavey:

We've all been there with the millions of choices of what we'd like to do for our e-rings. I like leaf motifs. Do you have a photo of that one you're describing with the leaf?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
welcome!!!!!!!!!!! :wavey: :wavey:

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
madelise|1336090670|3187010 said:

We've all been there with the millions of choices of what we'd like to do for our e-rings. I like leaf motifs. Do you have a photo of that one you're describing with the leaf?

Cathy Waterman does a few different leaf motifs, but this is my favourite:

I really like this design, so I'm considering having a violet oval spinel I have set EW as a RHR (but with polished basket and prongs rather than rustic all over). SO thinks it's too fussy, and I want him to have SOME say in the e-ring so we compromised :naughty:

CW ring.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
petit_bijou|1336089222|3186985 said:
nicstx
My latest plan is to have a round medium blue/violet sapphire or spinel in a plat setting with diamond pear sides in BDG's Grace 3-stone setting, or a Leon (contingent on budget and some recent concerns about the structural integrity of his settings). My current dream set would be to have a matching round plain band, and diamond pave eternity so I could wear the bands as a pair when I want something low profile (my work sometimes requires nitrile gloves and getting messy, but I'd still like to wear at least some of my rings).

I've also considered an E-W oval in a custom Cathy Waterman-esque setting (pave oak-leaf shoulders), a cushion double-row halo on a plain shank, a solitaire in one of JBEG's settings or a 3-stone in their Astin (which is least likely now since I don't think we'll be ready before they stop doing custom work ;( ), a cushion with graduated french cuts... pretty much anything and everything, I've been in love with it :rolleyes: I also went through a phase of intense infatuation with a James Meyer, but unfortunately the stones he has aren't what I'm looking for and he no longer sets customer stones.

SO is on board about the colour, and prefers a more simple look (he'd go with a plain solitaire if he had his way) so in that sense, I think my current 3-stone idea is least fussy but still gives me more bling than a solitaire.

Do you have a ring/setting picked out?

1. if only you knew the different styles of rings i went through to eventually decide on the most simple setting ;-)
2. PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!!

I am allll about colored stones when we can afford them in the future, post some pictures! :appl:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
petit_bijou|1336092996|3187038 said:
madelise|1336090670|3187010 said:

Cathy Waterman does a few different leaf motifs, but this is my favourite:

I really like this design, so I'm considering having a violet oval spinel I have set EW as a RHR (but with polished basket and prongs rather than rustic all over). SO thinks it's too fussy, and I want him to have SOME say in the e-ring so we compromised :naughty:

Oh that is so pretty!! I like your compromise.. Then you get 2 rings! :D I think I'm going to steal this logic.. I have a whole list of settings I'd love!! If I can get em all with CS, Id be one happy gal!!

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
Welcome :wavey:

Oh I love the detail!

dandyandi

Rough_Rock
Welcome to our community! I loooove that setting you posted, it is beautiful!! Also, props to you and your SO for being to juggle distance on top of everything else. That's a sign of a strong commitment, so congratulations. Hopefully your stay here won't be too long! But in the meantime... more pics of settings (if you've been looking at others)! Can't get enough!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Hooray for colored center stones and pear side stones!

I love the idea of a plain band and a pave band, but I wouldn't wear anything pave under a nitrile or any medical/scientific glove. Have you seen bead set channel bands? They have the same look (to a point) but are much more protective of the tiny stones!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome!! Your ring ideas sound lovely!!! I like ye EW set oval idea.... I think if I were considering another ring I might have opted for an Oval instead of a round- :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! :wavey:

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for such a warm welcome! I think joining the list before the summer wedding season starts was a good idea for my sanity! SO and I have 3 weddings in 3 different provinces between now and July... and there is bound to be plenty of "so when is it your turn" type interrogation from friends and family!

madelise
Knowing I can have lots of alternate RHRs that can sub in as e-rings helps my anxiety about choosing "THE" setting! A girl's got to have options with a CS e-ring to match different outfits and stuff, right? :naughty:

dandyandi
Thanks for the vote of confidence. The distance is definitely challenging for more than just logistics, but luckily 4 of our 5 "destinations" are within a 4 hour drive of one another so it's do-able for now. We're definitely looking forward to streamlining in the near future, and are really thankful for things like skype and facetime!

maebelle
Thanks for the heads up about pave. I'm not committed to a particular style yet, I just know I will want some sparkle! My practical side will probably end up with a channel set or something super secure. BTW I LOVE the stones you've collected so far, and can't wait to see your sapphire (and your gorgeous stacking stones) set!!

Amys Bling
Thanks! I like the added finger coverage but minimal length that EW ovals add. Luckily I have long fingers (sometimes "affectionately" referred to as ET fingers) so I can afford not to take advantage of the lengthening effect of NS ovals.

redsoxgrl, Magpie09, and audball
Thanks for the warm welcome :D

I'm on a big time crunch to get my LAST term paper EVER written for my PhD (so excited to be done with coursework!), so I'll be back periodically during my "breaks" to post pictures of my inspiration settings and the colours I'm considering for the stone. I'd LOVE to get some feedback from you ladies, SO just thinks everything is pretty :lol:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
petit_bijou|1336145174|3187468 said:
Thank you all for such a warm welcome! I think joining the list before the summer wedding season starts was a good idea for my sanity! SO and I have 3 weddings in 3 different provinces between now and July... and there is bound to be plenty of "so when is it your turn" type interrogation from friends and family!

madelise
Knowing I can have lots of alternate RHRs that can sub in as e-rings helps my anxiety about choosing "THE" setting! A girl's got to have options with a CS e-ring to match different outfits and stuff, right? :naughty:

dandyandi
Thanks for the vote of confidence. The distance is definitely challenging for more than just logistics, but luckily 4 of our 5 "destinations" are within a 4 hour drive of one another so it's do-able for now. We're definitely looking forward to streamlining in the near future, and are really thankful for things like skype and facetime!

maebelle
Thanks for the heads up about pave. I'm not committed to a particular style yet, I just know I will want some sparkle! My practical side will probably end up with a channel set or something super secure. BTW I LOVE the stones you've collected so far, and can't wait to see your sapphire (and your gorgeous stacking stones) set!!

Amys Bling
Thanks! I like the added finger coverage but minimal length that EW ovals add. Luckily I have long fingers (sometimes "affectionately" referred to as ET fingers) so I can afford not to take advantage of the lengthening effect of NS ovals.

redsoxgrl, Magpie09, and audball
Thanks for the warm welcome :D

I'm on a big time crunch to get my LAST term paper EVER written for my PhD (so excited to be done with coursework!), so I'll be back periodically during my "breaks" to post pictures of my inspiration settings and the colours I'm considering for the stone. I'd LOVE to get some feedback from you ladies, SO just thinks everything is pretty :lol:

Oh, you collect a huge ol' folder of all your favorite settings.. and choose your absolute favorite for the e-ring ;-) the rest gets every color of the rainbow!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!! You sound like you have a lot of good research done already, and best of luck to you as you finish your PhD!! And definitely agreed, you should have multiple options in terms of CS to match each and every outfit, and also to explore all those multiple settings you love!!!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
madelise
I know! The trick will be choosing the favourite.. at least this way I can go with something simple and classic that I LOVE and indulge my more intricate setting ideas with less sentimental pieces where it won't matter as much if it's more a "phase"...

pandabee
Thanks! We have known we were each others' "one" for awhile now, so I've had some time to research. It's also a fantastic procrastination tool from getting my school work done :twirl: . We have done some shopping together, and asked a local jeweler to call a few stones in, but we're taking things slow since there are some factors out of our hands that are causing us to wait. I WISH I was almost done my PhD, but this is just the end of "phase 1" really. I'm excited to get the course work over with, so I can focus on my own research now. Also a bit scary since now I'm more or less on my own :errrr: . My supervisors are great though, so I really shouldn't be too scared.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
petit_bijou|1336158002|3187666 said:
madelise
I know! The trick will be choosing the favourite.. at least this way I can go with something simple and classic that I LOVE and indulge my more intricate setting ideas with less sentimental pieces where it won't matter as much if it's more a "phase"...

pandabee
Thanks! We have known we were each others' "one" for awhile now, so I've had some time to research. It's also a fantastic procrastination tool from getting my school work done :twirl: . We have done some shopping together, and asked a local jeweler to call a few stones in, but we're taking things slow since there are some factors out of our hands that are causing us to wait. I WISH I was almost done my PhD, but this is just the end of "phase 1" really. I'm excited to get the course work over with, so I can focus on my own research now. Also a bit scary since now I'm more or less on my own :errrr: . My supervisors are great though, so I really shouldn't be too scared.

aww. well at least you are almost done with coursework!! that's where I am with my professional degree...rotations all next year so my didactic work is 4 weeks til the end!! shiny searching is definitely a good distraction :D

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!! :wavey:

The more the merrier here, and this is a fab group of ladies and I know you'll enjoy your stay! LOVE that setting you posted, it is completely gorgeous. :love: I'm a fan of old cuts and think that setting would be TDF with a huge OEC. (Yes, I'm already planning my future upgrade, don't tell SO. Hah!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results