shape
carat
color
clarity

Internet Diamond Buying Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carywilliam7

Rough_Rock
This forum has been incredible. Thanks to all who post responses here I'm amazed at the instant education available at this forum!

My fiancee and I have been to several jewelers and now I'm looking through diamondscope.com at comparable diamonds to compare prices.

Do I understand that buying a diamond online with a GIA or AGS certificate with a full refund return policy (and then independently appraised here) is probably the best way to get the most in a diamond? Any comments on presenting local jewelers with prices from diamondscope as a negotiating tool?

Any comments on buying online (reliable sources, websites, etc.) will be very appreciated.

Still searching for that wonderful diamond! :))

biscuit

Rough_Rock
Hi!!

Happy we've brought you over to the dark side (lol)!

I absolutely think that AGS and/or GIA are the way to go with internet buying...maybe with any buying. To be able to use the HCA, AGS is quickest and perhaps the most accurate, but from what I hear a little more pricy.

I eventually puchased my rock from Diamond Brokers of Flordia after hours and hours of searching and studying. Jan and Brad added a lot of personal touches to a typically impersonal internet purchase. At no point did I feel pressured to buy...something I can't say for most other internet companies. They offer:
*Lowest advertised price match
*Lifetime 100% trade-in
*Inspection period
*advance Brilliancescope, Microscope, Idealscope images
Check out their following over on DiamondTalk.com - they chose not to advertise over here. Their website is DiamondBrokersOfFl.com

Other internet companies that I've had dealings with that seem as good...

USCertedDiamonds
GoodOldGold
DirtCheapDiamonds

And there are always the ever popular but somewhat overpriced BlueNile and Whiteflash.

All of the above companies are highly reccommended by most who buy from them...if you want further confidence, check out their BBB listings. Don't let anyone make you feel rushed...almost all companies will respond to you lighting-quick, but few give you the space to decide.

Have fun shopping!!! ~:praise:

BigLou

Rough_Rock
Quick question how is she your fiance with no rock on her finger? :confused: Just razzing you.

I think that using the internet to buy a diamond, especially from the sources that were already given to you, is a good alternative to over priced jewelers. I would say that most jewelers won't be able to give close to the same price that you would get on the net. If you were close enough to NYC you could search the diamond district but even there most people overpay. I do know that if you know that you can get a stone for a certain price on the net and find a good diamond seller in the city that they can come in very close to the net prices. You just need to really know your stuff and stick to your guns. If you let them sway you, you're in trouble. You also really need to know how to use the loupe. The paper knowledge is great but you need to know what you are looking at. Good Luck

carywilliam7

Rough_Rock
Thanks biscuit and BigLou for your comments. I'm still looking on and offline and my head is spinning. I have one stone under consideration locally but checking some of the websites listed here too.

:rolleyes:

rofire

Rough_Rock
Greg at www.ringdesigner.com is cool. I bought a ring from him. The diamond inventory on his website has scanned images of the certificates. You can get some of the best prices and they have a huge selection of settings.
The unfortunate thing for me is that things on my end didn't turn out as I would have liked. I'm in the process of returning the ring through his 30 day "for any reason" return policy. If all goes well with the return I can VERY confidently, and HIGHLY recommend Ringdesigner.com.

*UPDATE: All went well with the return. Thumbs up ringdesigner.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results