shape
carat
color
clarity

internet buying and prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simonnessen

Rough_Rock
Are the prices on most of the internet sites such as abazias, and goodoldgold negotiable, or are they the final prices. Also, after searching for H&A diamonds on the pricescope search, there are some which have good listed for symmetry. Is this possible, and how will good symetry affect the visual of a diamond, once set, assuming it is an AGSO. Thanks.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are AGS0s and AGS0s. If a diamond has a GIA cert with a Good symmetry and a Sarin report that says AGS0. It is not an Ideal cut. If it has an AGS cert that says Ideal cut grade it cannot have a Good symmetry. The symmetry on an Ideal cut diamond must be excellent and graded by AGS to get Ideal. GIA does not and has not every graded symmetry in the same way as AGS. It is possible to have a diamond with a good symmetry from GIA and a AGS0 from sarin and what appears to be and are called H&A by some companies and it is also possible that that diamond is very beautiful. If the polish is also good its beauty could be greatly increased if it was Excellent. This answers part of your question.

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
I only can comment on the negotiable price question. IMO, every price is negotiable. My observation is that places like GOG are in fact a brick & mortar that also has a web presence. Not a bad thing - but different than a pure internet play. Both offer competitive prices. However, remember that Internet does not equate into best price. Usually, the internet prices (especially for the pure internet sites) are lower than a local retail store. They need to do this is attract consumers & convince them to buy a traditional "in person" purchase over the internet. The best way to do this is to offer a rock bottom price (no pun intended). But there is always room for negotiation. I just witnessed this when the price on my $4450 stone was dropped to $4400. Some may say...That's not a big price drop. Yeah....I know. But when it's already low - it's a big drop for the vendor. They already have low profit margins!
No harm in asking if it's the best price.

Good luck.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I think it will also depend on what type of a consumer you are. For instance, I am a very demanding consumer. I want special attention from the vendor, more than some internet sites can offer. It takes a great deal of time to appease a consumer like me (just ask Rhino) as compared to a consumer who is willing to buy rather quickly with little extra service. That time cost money and reduces the profit for the vendor, which reduces the likelihood of negotiating.

Big Rock

Rough_Rock
You can most certainly ask, but I think you are more likely to get a price reduction on larger purchases as the profit margins are bigger. For example, on a $5k stone, an internet retailer is probably making a 10% profit, so even a $50 price reduction means something, where as a B&M probably makes 15%-25%, and T&Co. makes 60%!! As mentioned on another thread, I recently purchased a 2.5ct Emerald E/IF from a major site and received a 2% price reduction in addition to the 2% reduction for paying cash instead of credit. Always remember to ask that if only one price is listed, is it for cash (and they then gross-up the price for credit) or is it for credit (and they discount it for cash).

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/10/2003 8:58:17 AM Rook wrote:

I think it will also depend on what type of a consumer you are. For instance, I am a very demanding consumer. That time cost money and reduces the profit for the vendor, which reduces the likelihood of negotiating.
----------------

Rook, that is a very thoughtful comment.

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/10/2003 8:58:17 AM Rook wrote:
I think it will also depend on what type of a consumer you are. For instance, I am a very demanding consumer. I want special attention from the vendor, more than some internet sites can offer.
----------------

Good point BUT with my experience, I actually received BETTER service from the online vendor. I was even treated with more respect. The online vendors know they have to go the extra mile to please you. They are already working with 1 strike against them....which is selling expensive jewelery mostly sight unseen through a nedium that some still consider the wild wild web. There is much consumer hesistation and they usually need to put consumers at ease before making a sale. Therefore, I've found them to bend over backwards to appease consumers by answering questions over & over again. Some say face to face is better. Well in my experience, it was complete opposite!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results