shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog International Gemological Institute (IGI)

bcmacdonald

Staff member
International-Gemological-Institute-IGI-1024x576.png

bcmacdonald published a new blog post.
The International Gemological Institute, better known as IGI, is the world's largest independent institute for analyzing and grading gemstones and fine jewelry. It is no coincidence that IGI has been given the world's leading gemological organization status. It is through years of study, collaboration, and synergy with both industry experts and...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Their color grade on my LGD this past year was much more accurate than on my EGD 20 years ago. Have a custom cut coming in pretty soon and we will see how they do on this one.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I have had 5 IGI stones now, including my DG AVC. I am by no means an expert, suffice it to say I was happy with all but one of the stones, and that was no fault of IGI. (It was a cushion and cut way too shallow)

All 5 were graded F, and all 5 were icy white with no detectable body color against a flat white background under my 20x loupe. Non-scientific, but good enough for me. The 3 RBs were all ideal cuts, good scores on the HCA and lovely performance in person. I was happy with them.
I am over the moon with my AVC. I assume cost is the main factor that explains why Rhino has his natural diamond AVCs certified by AGS while his MMD offerings are sent thru IGI. Needless to say it didn’t matter to me.

There was a write up from an industry insider that painted a very realistic and pragmatic picture of IGI and various circumstances that affect their standing within the trade community. I wish I could remember who wrote it, I’m almost certain it was someone here..

For what any of that’s worth.

bcmacdonald

Staff member
I have had 5 IGI stones now, including my DG AVC. I am by no means an expert, suffice it to say I was happy with all but one of the stones, and that was no fault of IGI. (It was a cushion and cut way too shallow)

All 5 were graded F, and all 5 were icy white with no detectable body color against a flat white background under my 20x loupe. Non-scientific, but good enough for me. The 3 RBs were all ideal cuts, good scores on the HCA and lovely performance in person. I was happy with them.
I am over the moon with my AVC. I assume cost is the main factor that explains why Rhino has his natural diamond AVCs certified by AGS while his MMD offerings are sent thru IGI. Needless to say it didn’t matter to me.

There was a write up from an industry insider that painted a very realistic and pragmatic picture of IGI and various circumstances that affect their standing within the trade community. I wish I could remember who wrote it, I’m almost certain it was someone here..

For what any of that’s worth.

@Alybetter please feel free to share the link to the article here, should you stumble across it again.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
@Alybetter please feel free to share the link to the article here, should you stumble across it again.

Yes, I will. I’m kicking myself I didn’t bookmark it. Basically it explained that IGI wasn’t able to break into certain markets that were already ‘monopolized’ by GIA, and there wasn’t an incentive to try. There’s much more to it. I’m going to try and find it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results