shape
carat
color
clarity

Internal Window Pane Implosion

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! So seemingly this is a super rare phenomenon & I thought I'd share.

Yesterday mid-morning, whilst I was putting my boots on, the high window in my hallway exploded. I crapped myself, and then got a bit stressed a Buzzard may have hit it, which happens every few months, so went outside to check. No Buzzard, no broken glass. On inspection it turned out it was ONLY the inside pane of double glazing which had broken inwards, all over my stairs. Freaky, right??! So now my brain is going wild about Poltergeist's and the Mothman. Called an emergency repair company, who came within the hour to remove the broken pane & board it up.

So here's the interesting part. When the outside temp suddenly drops, which it did from 11c the day before to -3c overnight, and the heating cranks up, it can cause something funky to happen to the argon gas inside the 2 panes, putting pressure on the warmer pane only. Then the sun hits the outside (south facing window) This causes the warmer pane into implode! The glazers have only seen it once before, so were super excited. And today, right on time they returned with my new window, so the last picture shows it fully back to normal.

Thought I'd share in case this ever happens to you, so you won't start ghost hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_120205.jpg
    IMG_20200120_120205.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 116
  • received_160946935230980.jpeg
    received_160946935230980.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20200120_174453.jpg
    IMG_20200120_174453.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200121_143601.jpg
    IMG_20200121_143601.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 108

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness how scary. Thankful you’re safe and sound @Alex T ❤️

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness how scary. Thankful you’re safe and sound @Alex T

I know, right?! It was just so bizarre! I even thought maybe the farmer had completely mis-fired with his rifle or something, as I'd seen him out in the fields across from the house about an hour before :razz:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if thats all that rare honestly! I had that happen when I lived in Massachusetts and also only to 1 window. That particular window (from what the installer said) would always be at risk for it because of how the sun settles on it and its proximity to the vent. Scared me half to death when it happened because your mind isn't thinking its something minor like that, you're wondering wtf just hit my house!

Thankfully the window was covered under warranty and they sent someone out to pop in the new one.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freaky! Glad to hear OP was OK, and no animal was harmed etc.!

When I read the bit about a bird hitting the window, and I had the image from Hitchcock's "The Birds" in my brain as it was one of the scary moments in that film!

DK :))

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
:eek2: Alex T, don't mention the Mothman. That film totally freaked me out. Glad you are ok.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes @Alex T I can well imagine how bizarre that would’ve been. Thank goodness no one was standing near it when it happened.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes!so scary. Our window guys specifically warned us because of the orientation of some of our windows..I thought to myself:" well no need to Worry about it, it's super rare"... And KaBOOM it happens at your house.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2: Alex T, don't mention the Mothman. That film totally freaked me out. Glad you are ok.

My brother, sister in law & I all watched that movie together whilst living in NZ, and oh.... my.... god..... Everytime anything weird or sinister happens, he just messages me that one word. We were all totally scared to even go to bed for weeks, and we were in our late 20's!! :eek2:

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
My brother, sister in law & I all watched that movie together whilst living in NZ, and oh.... my.... god..... Everytime anything weird or sinister happens, he just messages me that one word. We were all totally scared to even go to bed for weeks, and we were in our late 20's!! :eek2:

:lol: Glad it's not just me and my husband. He is a hulking 6ft 3 bloke, loves the film but refuses to watch it on his own! .......then the phone rings!:eek2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Glad it's not just me and my husband. He is a hulking 6ft 3 bloke, loves the film but refuses to watch it on his own! .......then the phone rings!:eek2:

Stop. Right now. It's bed time here in the UK :lol:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is bizarre, but the explanation makes sense. Every once in a while we get a bird flying into our window in the kitchen and it makes a big bang. But living out in horse country it seems I'm used to odd things happening.

If this Mothman film is creepy I'll have to watch it. I love a scary story.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The (largely south-facing) windows in our house are in enough danger from over-enthusiastic but under-precision use of footballs and cricket balls. All I need is science ganging up on them as well as my kids...

Glad it was an easy fix and no one was hurt!

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is bizarre, but the explanation makes sense. Every once in a while we get a bird flying into our window in the kitchen and it makes a big bang. But living out in horse country it seems I'm used to odd things happening.

If this Mothman film is creepy I'll have to watch it. I love a scary story.

The film is called The Mothman Prophercy & honestly, watch at your own peril. It is terrifying! My husband wants to know what all the fuss is about & thinks I should watch it with him, but I'd rather eat my own eyeballs that sit through that film again :lol:

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
:lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: Alex T, eat your eyeballs. I just nearly choked on my coffee! Let your husband watch it and see how long he lasts!

@doberman you have to watch it. It's one of those films that is not at all gory but is extremely creepy at the same time. :eek2: Brill acting from Richard Gere.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: Alex T, eat your eyeballs. I just nearly choked on my coffee! Let your husband watch it and see how long he lasts!

@doberman you have to watch it. It's one of those films that is not at all gory but is extremely creepy at the same time. :eek2: Brill acting from Richard Gere.

I agree. Psychologically terrifying!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had something like this happen while living in Austin years ago. We had a pool in the backyard and a patio attached to the pool. Any window that was near the pool had to be safety glass, one window was so it was replaced with the better, safer glass years later we were in the house and we hear a bang in the kitchen my younger son tells me it's a window near the patio exploded, we had to have it replaced with new and better safety glass, so my safest window exploded glass all around my kitchen and my windows next to them didn't. The window replacement man said it was heat and cold and also the window was just a bit smaller than the other 4 near it and the window was sort of bowed and that was what caused the blowout.. We had the next window made specifically with the windows specs. It's a scary sound for sure. Glad everyone was Aok in your home @Alex T .

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had something like this happen while living in Austin years ago. We had a pool in the backyard and a patio attached to the pool. Any window that was near the pool had to be safety glass, one window was so it was replaced with the better, safer glass years later we were in the house and we hear a bang in the kitchen my younger son tells me it's a window near the patio exploded, we had to have it replaced with new and better safety glass, so my safest window exploded glass all around my kitchen and my windows next to them didn't. The window replacement man said it was heat and cold and also the window was just a bit smaller than the other 4 near it and the window was sort of bowed and that was what caused the blowout.. We had the next window made specifically with the windows specs. It's a scary sound for sure. Glad everyone was Aok in your home @Alex T .

That must have been terrifying for you all! It's absolutely something I have never heard of before, so I'm glad I'm not alone & other people have heard of it. I really was thinking Poltergeist by the way, even though I don't believe in anything like that :lol:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok I'm definitely going to check it out.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The film is called The Mothman Prophercy & honestly, watch at your own peril. It is terrifying! My husband wants to know what all the fuss is about & thinks I should watch it with him, but I'd rather eat my own eyeballs that sit through that film again :lol:

Eat your own eyeballs! :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

super lololols except for the whole psychological AND eat your eye ball thingie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results