shape
carat
color
clarity

Interior redecorating -- hold my hand, help with ideas, share your interiors and experiences

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the process of lining up a few interior designers to meet with for a total redo of furniture and paint in living room, dining room, and office -- maybe master bedroom if I don't lose my mind. Comfort and durability are at the top of the list. Sunbrella makes fabrics for indoor furniture and I'm considering using it on a few pieces or maybe all the new stuff. My cats are getting older and will no doubt choose to have accidents on the furniture rather than the bare floors so water and stain resistance is important. I want maximum comfort with a minimum number of pieces.

When I was young, I saw something, liked it, bought it and it worked. Now I'm wishy washy about everything. I have to use a decorator because I'm lousy at scale and when I try to do stuff myself, I either end up with giant pieces that barely fit thru the front door of the house or pieces that would look better in a kid's dollhouse. Sigh.

My method the last time I did this was to save photos of pieces and rooms I liked to show the designer. When she asked me for a theme that I liked I said art deco/contemporary/nature and she came up with a plan that I loved. Thirteen years later and after the cats destroyed a lot of it, I'm tired of what's left.

What I'm most attracted to now are: Minimalist, Scandinavian, Hollywood Glam, Urban Modern. I used to hate white walls but now I'm thinking they're not so bad. I love jewel tones on walls but have lived with them so long that I need a change. I like clean lines but not severity and while I want to minimize the pieces, I don't want the place to look austere. I want to feel as though I'm being hugged by my house, yanno, like when you walk through the front door and all your cares drop away and you just want to snuggle into the place. I want timeless rather than trendy.

If you've read this far and are still awake, thank you very much. Please share your ideas and experiences and pitfalls. I've learned a lot about making wiser choices this time around but still tend to follow my heart and lose sight of practicality.

Hollywood Glam examples. I like the cozy feel but need less stuff.
glam 1.png glam 2.png

Urban Modern, Minimalist, Scandinavian have a lot in common, differences being in how much wood vs metal vs pure industrial elements are used. I like the airy feel but miss the cozy.
Scandinavian.png urban modern 1.png Minimalist.png

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's too bad my sister could help you. She's an artist, has worked both her own business as a painter (murals, faux finishes). She also worked for a (high end) interior designer. Mostly she just has a good eye. She can look at a room and even if it is cluttered or broken up, see what needs to be done. Proportions, sizes, placement. Everytime she has given me advice I have benefitted. And times I hadn't, regretted it.

Right now I am redoing a couple rooms in my house. I'm being boring (safe) and painting the rooms either off white or very subtle shades. I'm basically on a 0 budget so I will be essentially thrifting pieces.

Judging what you wrote I would say probably go for a Scandinavian feel with wood accents. You can cozy up the place with textiles like rug, hangings, etc. Make it feel more welcome by greenery (house plants). If you want to inject old world glamour in the rooms, I would do it minimally (1 piece like a light fixture or 1 piece of furniture), or focus on one room that is the most intimate (office, master bedroom).

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Urban Modern, Minimalist, Scandinavian have a lot in common, differences being in how much wood vs metal vs pure industrial elements are used. I like the airy feel but miss the cozy.

My style hovers around this general area and I have the same issue if I let things get too stark/simple.

I've found that adding texture will visually cozy it up. So, a knobbly textured throw or pillows or rug. Natural baskets. Plants (real or not) do wonders.You could tie in the glam by chosing gold or bronze for some of your metals.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a similar aesthetic and love minimalist, Scandinavian, and retro modern. Yes to @elizabethess ‘s suggestion re texture warming things up just enough. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts come to life.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this. Not the color but the lines.

Figura sofa.png

mjr1

Rough_Rock
I recently re-did the front 6 rooms in my house. I used to just pick things I liked and hoped it would work. What I found was I was too matchy and my proportions were always off. It looked ok but rough around the edges. This time I used a decorator and her architect. I am so happy with the results. Everything flows and is in scale to the room as well as the house. It is not matchy but the colors are complimentary and don't compete. She introduced texture and helped me source things that I liked and asked for but couldn't find on my own. I explained my vision to her and she put together suggestions. She sourced various materials for furniture/window treatments and even went shopping with me. I did ask her to pick the paint colors- all the walls are a grey/beige(more gray) and the trim/ moldings are a darker gray. We kept some of my furniture, added a few new pieces -it is now a place that when I come through the door I actually sigh. Its just that relaxing. She was worth every penny. She actually saved me money by finding a few pieces that were very similar to ones I had seen but were less expensive... She also kept me from making some mistakes that could of been costly and/or ugly. When looking for bedding, she introduced designers I had never heard of but loved. Its things like that-expertise and experience- that she brought to the table. Interview a few designers and let them propose their interpretations your vision. Just remember it is a dynamic fluid process and your first vision will probably not be the exact finished job.....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our beach house couches are Scandinavian style. We added the shag rugs to warm it up with texture and added color using pillows. Our console is also swedish style but I don't have a good photo of it. You can sort of see it in the photo below.

After (with shag rugs)
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 9.32.53 AM.png

Look at the difference before we got the shag rugs. IMO it's a huge difference in feel of the room.

Before:
The coffee table there is from before we redecorated (from Restoration Hardware and more of a traditional style) and it doesn't belong there.
ikeacouchesbeachlivingroom.jpg

IRL it is a more dramatic difference

Love this. Not the color but the lines.

Figura sofa.png

I love this couch and had one very similar to it in white in my old apartment when I was single. My apartment was decorated mid century modern.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A professional will save you money in the long run. Interiors are my hobby and I help lots of friends. I have seen so many expensive mistakes. Scale is a huge part of making it all work together. I have a friend who literally bought a new house so that an oversize sofa would fit in the door!! Also be sure to find a designer that has the style you want. The designers that do multiple styles aren't usually as good. Good luck!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently re-did the front 6 rooms in my house.

We need pictures!!

Look at the difference before we got the shag rugs. IMO it's a huge difference in feel of the room.

Lovely room missy. Those precious cat beds lined up by the hearth made me smile.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I forgot to mention is that I have to take the cats into consideration, especially Atticus. For example, I like tufted furniture as well as nailhead trim but can't have either because he'll pull off the buttons and nailheads. My dining room chairs are wrapped in bath towels to keep the darn buttons intact. I had the chairs before I got the cat. The buttons and piping on the chairs matches the dining room ceiling color which also used to match the custom made window coverings in the dining and living rooms that I no longer have because the darn cat pulled them down.

Here's the current set up.

dining 1.jpg dining 2.jpg living 1.jpg living 2.jpg

I don't want a sectional sofa, never did particularly like them. Everything needs to be lightened up because we don't get a lot of natural light. I don't like looking at a TV when it's not in use and had that large TV cabinet built. For the redo, I really like this hidden vision TV wall mount https://www.hvtvmounts.com/

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for fun, there are some iconic pieces that I've loved since I was a teenager. While my tastes wildly changed throughout my life, these 3 pieces have stood the test of time.

Isamu Noguchi coffee table
Isamuy Noguchi coffee table.png

Eileen Gray's adjustable side table
Eileen Gray adjustable side table.png

Ludiwig Mies van der Rohe Barcelona Chair
Ludiwg Mies van der Rohe Barcelona Chair.png

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe talk to your decorator about "hygge" style - scandinavian but more cozy, less stark

+1 on the precious row of cat beds in your photo, missy! too cute.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Neutrals help lend a hand to a minimalist, cozy, yet luxurious aesthetic. Clean white walls can also look very nice when the room is properly decorated! Layering pillows, throws, decors in 3s (3 items together), flowers/plants, and wall art/mirrors/framed photos also really make a room come together. Also, much better to put pieces that "go together" vs. match. Excited to see your before/after pics!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, much better to put pieces that "go together" vs. match.

Totally agree. For inspiration, I took a look at sothebysreality.com and luxuryrealestate.com to see what people with unlimited budgets do. Ugh. Way too much all white interiors with matching chairs/tables/sofas. I need color.

Well above $150 million for this place. Boring.
white.png

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking as a woman who in 1997 designed a Texas/Western tile floor through out the whole kitchen and family room and with French provincial eggplant colored tile on the walls it was a mess.. my last house I hired a wonderful woman and I was so happy with the results, I just to not have an eye for flow.. good luck and cannot wait to see pictures for your changes if you can post them :)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking as a woman who in 1997 designed a Texas/Western tile floor through out the whole kitchen and family room and with French provincial eggplant colored tile on the walls it was a mess.

Oh my. But it was a great learning experience :)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't contribute any recommendations for hiring an interior designer as I never had one but I remember a show on HGTV many years ago that had homeowners interviewing 3 designers for their project. They presented swatches, layout, materials, etc. I thought it would be so much fun to be able to do that one day.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me say how much I love the layout of your house.

Your cats come first so, why not have a custom cat tree that works with your house more? You've got a ton of space for it

Just an idea spur, its pretty out there for the price! https://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/2762/This-Is-The-Greatest-Cat-Tree-I-ve-Ever-Seen

some of these might be more reasonable... https://www.catastrophicreations.com

and these seem to be pretty contemporary https://ultramodernpet.com/unique-cat-furniture

Do you use your fireplace? What type is it? You might want to consider going more rustic modern on the mantle and using a 3d Tile to give texture to the room.

something like this (and I like the wall color too!) https://www.houzz.com/photos/whitley-contemporary-living-room-raleigh-phvw-vp~52711672

Because you've got the high ceilings, don't be afraid to go with a deeper color on the walls, just don't do a stark white on the ceiling which to me always makes aleady high ceilings a bit much... Its really all about the right type of lighting and then layering the lights around your area.

My furniture choices are....lol not yours. I have a custom sectional which will probably be buried with me...lol (it was expensive!) But I love it because its a more neutral brown and worked in the house I purchased for and this house too. I would do a custom slipcover(s) if you loved your furniture or just weren't ready to replace but wanted to switch it up.

Also have you tried uploading your images to somewhere like sherwin williams to get an idea what colors you want on your walls? You can paint your own rooms there.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, you've mentioned a few things that are on my radar. Thank you heaps for your ideas.

I've lusted after this for a couple of years but didn't think hubby would go for it. I just showed him the pic and he thinks it's a good idea. I'd have to talk to the maker about durability because the materials used don't seem sturdy enough to hold up to Atticus's attention. His claws are almost 2 inches long and he's very very strong and I'd have to be sure he wouldn't destroy the tree sharpening his claws.

Do you use your fireplace? What type is it? You might want to consider going more rustic modern on the mantle and using a 3d Tile to give texture to the room.

It's gas and we do use it. I think I want floor to ceiling tile without a mantle and perhaps without a raised hearth. The 3D tiles are a great idea.

As far as wall color, we can't go dark unless it's a feature wall because we don't get enough natural light in the house. Even the current light sand color is too dark at different times during the day. I was thinking of getting light tubes in the living room ceiling to bring in more light which would give us more wall color options.

I've done the Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore thing but it's more effective for me to schmear samples at different locations on the actual walls so I can see how the color changes throughout the day.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking of getting light tubes in the living room ceiling to bring in more light which would give us more wall color options.

We did try this and the system we picked is a miss...
A decorator should have good advice which system to use...

Threadjack and rant ahead:
At my place it's another expensive mistake. We bought a system where the LED runs in a crown molding.

Problem was that they don't deliver the length we needed in one piece. So there are parts that needed to be glued . We had a professional paint company, who did try this according to their specs and painted afterwards. With time (drying out of the material) the glued bits became visible (like a straight crack). Drives me totally bonkers. Like, bugs me every day when I look at it. Since it was a pita and expensive to install and we'd have to do major changes in our living room, and I'm still renovating other parts of my house ($$$$) and terrace, I need to live with it for a while.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Check out a designer called Kelly Hoppen, photo attached. Her interiors are beautiful, quite neutral with lots of layering and texture. I have cats and a messy 8 old (and husband :lol-2: ) so removable washable sofa covers have been a godsend!
I also have a slightly dark house so use Silk paint, as opposed to Matt paint as it does help lighten rooms. I love sneaky storage and have a L shape sofa with lift up seats for storage. th.jpeg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love George Nelson lamps and pendants, which might be a fit with the style you are considering.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niffler75 and @Jimmianne thanks for the recommendations.

@kipari I have the same issue with some crown moulding in my office. Those little cracks are all I can see when I'm in the room, lol.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I've done the Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore thing but it's more effective for me to schmear samples at different locations on the actual walls so I can see how the color changes throughout the day.

I paint a large piece of foamboard in each of the possible colors. Easy to move around to check in different rooms at different times of the day. Also can but it next to various furniture pieces or different types of flooring. And you can cut a piece off to take with you when you look at furniture or flooring.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been 8 months since I started this and progress has been slower than a snail's pace. I'm don't love the stuff the designer (ML) is showing me. I like it, could live with it, but don't love it. I like the concept she's going for -- comfy contemporary -- which is what I wanted but some of the stuff I've found on my own includes pieces that lean toward eclectic and transitional.

Saga of the Sofa

The sofas ML showed me were nice but there was always something I didn't like -- legs too chunky, arms too bulky, or the vendor didn't offer the heavy duty performance fabric I want.

I was searching through photos on Houzz and found my dream sofa. It's midcentury modern. The photo had no provenance. I accidentally discovered images.google.com which turned up a few places that sell the sofa. All of those places had limited fabric options and colors and none had the heavy duty fabric. Today I did another image search and a new vendor came up and listed the name of the furniture company that makes the sofa. On that company's website I could search for retailers. Lo and behold, there's a store 2.5 hrs north of me. Emailed them today and we're driving up this coming weekend to take a look. I can get my heavy duty performance fabric and the sofa I want.

The entire sofa search has taken 3 months. Whew. Imo, the sofa is the keystone piece to the room and now I feel better about moving forward with the rest of the pieces.

Here's the sofa.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 1.51.46 PM.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the fixture I want for the foyer.

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 6.48.27 PM.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two problems I'm having: I'm over thinking everything. I'm feeling guilty for being able to afford to do this while there are millions of Americans who are losing or have lost their jobs and businesses. While we are generous with our donations and time, it doesn't ease the guilt.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dining room chair candidates:

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 6.57.43 PM.png solid wood .png

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMHO the couch, the foyer fixture, and the dining room sets are all items that you would find in furniture stores that would label themselves "Contemporary". You would have the best chance on the dining room sets at a store that also labels itself "Danish". If there is a market in your part of the world for contemporary furniture, there will be stores that stock it. You just have to find them, Google is your friend.

There are lots of localities in the USA where there is absolutely no demand for this type of stuff, so you have to find the nearest city where there is a demand. I think we have the only home in the entire California Central Valley furnished in a contemporary style. Tradesmen stop in their tracks when we open the front door! :)

We have to shop in LA, although we found our couch at a store in Santa Barbara. FWIW the Palm Springs area is the Mecca of contemporary furniture, even the consignment stores are full of it.

PS. I love all your choices, you definitely have an eye for beauty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results