shape
carat
color
clarity

Interesting read about pearls (Death of a pearl necklace)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: Interesting read about pearls (Death of a pearl necklace

Sorry, but as far as I know that is a load of old toot, along with pining to death and other such Victorian melodrama maladies. I've never heard of pearls as jewellery getting sick from skin.
Discoloured pearls from that era have probably been swapped out for imitiations, which will discolour. And as for dunking them in the sea for three months to get better. Probably the pawn was redeemed.
More of a case for Sherlock HOlmes?

Oh shucks! :oops: But, it DID make for a good tale.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

Pearlescence|1464805506|4038989 said:
Sorry, but as far as I know that is a load of old toot, along with pining to death and other such Victorian melodrama maladies. I've never heard of pearls as jewellery getting sick from skin.

Ah, but this part is true: "For the same reason, there are some women who cannot wear turquoises. The most brilliant blue turquoise will speedily turn a dark and soapy green." Natural, untreated turquoise will absorb oils and change color. Most natural turquoise sold today has been stabilized to preserve the color. Very old turquoise will tend to be green.

There is many a tale of a piece of turquoise ruined by salad dressing.

I did enjoy the bit about immersing the pearls in the sea. Rrrriiiiiiiight.

skep.gif

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock

Turquoise turns color just by washing your hands in soapy water. The stabilized stones are OK, but untreated turquoise is more likely change color from washing your hands rather than touching your skin.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock

Well, they got one thing right. "... pearls are mysterious things. Legends crowd around them." :lol: Thanks for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results