shape
carat
color
clarity

Interesting Photo of a Chipped Girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the girlde of a diamond is to thin it is more likely to chip or nick. This type of girdle fault often occurs under the prong of a setting. Depending on the nature of the chip, this problem can be corrected by repolishing which should result in a minimal loss of overall weight. If there are numerous chips the entire girdle can be repolished which might affect the overall value of the stone...Depending on the finished girdle on a particular diamond there are settings which can minimize damage like a bezel setting which covers the entire perimeter of the stone.../idealbb/images/smilies/wavey.gif

ggg.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice one Josh - did you take it?

It looks like a very thin girdle and a very shallow crown angle.
HCA give a breakage warning if the girdle is thin and the total of the crown and pavilion angle is low - say below 70 degrees.

chipping risk.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Kewl pic Josh!
eek.gif

When I was shopping, I came across 2 or 3 diamonds that the HCA kicked out a warning on. Thanks, Garry, for such a useful tool!
9.gif
I wouldn't have wanted to pic above to be my diamond!
errrr.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
How does a fault like that occur UNDER a prong?? Wouldn't the prong protect it?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
would have needed to have had 16 prongs for them all to be under prongs

more likeley they were set under a prong - or happened while being set - it is rare for a stone to chip under a prong with normal wear.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yipes, that pic made me nervous - in an empowering, edifying kind of way.
6.gif

My e-ring diamond didn't get rejected by the HCA, but it has a girdle that is Extremely Thin to Medium. That's what disqualified the stone from an "Ideal" rating from AGS - because of said girdle, the proportions were only "Good." I worried about it a great deal, but Rich Sherwood assured me that it was just fine, and it is - I think.
1.gif
I am going to be louping it carefully from now on and checking for any nicks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
CG just get it insured. Our appraiser told us every diamond gets nicks and chips in it on the girdle over time from wear and tear (worn in an exposed setting), my stone is thin-med and with the shallow crown it is more prone to chipping, but we just got it insured and as you know I wear it for *everything*!
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Mr. CG insured it through Chubb. Wasn't aware of their exceptional valuable articles policies until I encountered this forum, and read one of your posts on the that very subject.

Your butt's lovely from up close, by the way.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait you mean I was....helpful? Imagine that! And I don't even get paid!
rodent.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No Garry I did not take it..

I have it archived with many other close up quality photo's which represent damage and particular flaws in diamonds..

Often we discuss in legnth the characteristics and nature of certain particulars surrounding diamonds and flaws...It's nice to see a close up quality representation...
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 12/1/2003 6:59:09 PM Mara wrote:

CG just get it insured. Our appraiser told us every diamond gets nicks and chips in it on the girdle over time from wear and tear (worn in an exposed setting), my stone is thin-med and with the shallow crown it is more prone to chipping, but we just got it insured and as you know I wear it for *everything*!
1.gif

----------------

Oh my exotic imagination
angryfire.gif

"as you know I wear it for *everything*!"

he he he he
lickout.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm willing to wager she doesn't wear it for that. She might put out Greg's, uh, eye with that thing.

Canadiangrrl, liberally swilling the Wolf Blass
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
LOL!!!!!!
9.gif

Josh, could you show us more? These pics are always very helpful!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHHA
naughty.gif
Actually the ring can be quite 'dangerous' at times...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results