shape
carat
color
clarity

What the........? What WAS the cutter thinking?!?!?!?!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I found this - possibly the most bizarrely cut diamond I have ever seen. :-o (Those who enjoy a cushion with a large culet look away now) :lol:

diamond-Cushion-1.04-Carat-G-VS2_4_first_.jpg

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.04-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7769466

I thought to myself "the cutter who produced this must have been having a really bad day" maybe he/she was hoping to slip it in along some other much better cut diamonds and hope not to lose money.

And then I came across this::confused:

diamond-Cushion-1.02-Carat-G-VS1_4_first_.jpg

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.02-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-7769460

And then this: :confused::shock::think:

diamond-Cushion-1.01-Carat-G-VS2_4_first_.jpg

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7769461

One stone like this would be considered a random blooper, but 3 cut in the same style????? Starts to seem like someone purposely designed these to look like this???

Last edited:

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
That first one could be used as a designer front door peephole with that window, lol! Not much use for the other two.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Off the cuff...

I suspect there are just a few more lovers of the 'portrait cut' out there & these diamonds have not met one in time. The look is something else, but did have its day once upon a time.

There is one famous stone done this way with a monogram where you expect (look at the culet of the largest diamond on WWW) & there must be piles and piles of 'Stuart crystals' - the same done in other colorless stones; another world of taste. No idea who dared the cut today!

___

The HUGE girdles of the last two, I do not get ...

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that the modern take on a rose cut??? :doh:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 I can see with a specific style mount. I get it.
#2 and #3 have the opposed bar -effect going? Trippy.
There’s something out there for everyone.
I like seeing innovative/ unique things. It’s interesting. I’d buy the cutter a beer for doing this - trying something new.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one would be nice if you set i with a little picture or monogram behind it. But it would have to be VERY little, like 4x2.5 mm or something. The other two I think have windows too small for that to work.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These diamonds hurt my eyes and brain. :doh:

I’m all about giving every sparkly its just due love and appreciation, but these really test my boundaries in that regard.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Off the cuff...

I suspect there are just a few more lovers of the 'portrait cut' out there & these diamonds have not met one in time. The look is something else, but did have its day once upon a time.
Yep I think they are kinda neat. I like them and can think of some romantic designs for them.
The last one with the black center in the video/pic might or might not look good in a pendant without the obstruction.
Remember the photos/video are about the same as looking at a diamond with one eye from 4 inches away.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
btw if they were cut just so they worked as a magnifier for what was under them.
No telling if these will but likely not.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
btw if they were cut just so they worked as a magnifier for what was under them.
No telling if these will but likely not.
So you could set a small diamond under them and have it magnified? Super cool :geek2:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's like one of those 'censored' bars to not show the inclusions because they're so obscene...

Hehe. At first glance I thought someone had put a strip of gaffer tape across the table of each one :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results