shape
carat
color
clarity

Interesting B&M experiences

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Me & the b/f went to several B&Ms to try diff. settings, see variations of diamonds, etc. At one store the person was great & seemed to know diamonds. I told her I was willing to go low on color and clarity (thanks to my PS edu
2.gif
) there were only 3-4 diamonds she had to show me. Most of what they had were all D-F, VS1 & up. I know for some, thats what they want for various reasons, but all I could think about were those that have been told thats the *only* way to go, anything less is crap and pay all that extra $$! She did say that if we gave her specs, she could bring in stones. So good exp., but know how much cheaper diamonds are on PS!

At another store, the person was... WHOA!!! First thing she said was “I see you shop here a lot, youve got a lot of our great items.” Insulted! The two items I had on were both custom-made by a small store where I grew up & included my grandmothers opal!!! After asking what size diamond I wanted (.8-1 ct) she said, “oh, thats WAY too small. We''ll make him buy a big one!" Insulted! Then when I turned one of the diamonds to the side to check color (it faced up white, but the side was pretty yellow) she accused me of looking at the price & said it wasnt my business to know the price! Insulted! Hated it, will NEVER go back!!!

Just sharing some Friday humor!
9.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of my bad experiences came from B&M stores. Ive had good experiences in ONE SPECIFIC B&M to date. The rest either start out bad and go downhill fast or start out ok and go down hill faster.

I love the scare tactics.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
NJC, sorry you did not find better experiences at a store. Although the store that caters to nice quality diamonds is much like having dinner at a fine place. I would rather pay a little extra for good food and good service, than eat at a buffet for $5. Wallmart is the #1 seller of diamonds in the US. What does that say for what Americans like? Keep in mind, there are many types of jewelers. Some good, some not. Some are mainly a store front, with some internet, some don't even own a computer. Some compete very well, some don't. Also, some internet companies also have an office so you can meet someone, some are just a guy with a computer who buys from other places and sells to you. Some internet companies bash all B&Ms, some B&Ms bash all internet companies. Some internet companies compete very well on diamonds and rip you on mountings, some jewelers do a great job on mountings and rip you on a diamond. Very hard to find someone who is good at everything. Best to do your homework, keep an open mind, find a good appraiser.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Feydakin,

Sure. Actually, I think it would be helpful for people to see that this is a two sided issue. I'm sure the e-tailers have some stories to tell as well.
1.gif

By the way, Ame, who was that store that made you happy? I'm confident that they would love your endorsement and it sounds like they disserve some kudos.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to hear stories from the other side as well.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/10/2004 11:45:20 AM Feydakin wrote:

Can those of us in B&M stores tell stories about some of the customers we have come through here?? :D

Steve
----------------

I would love to hear those stories too. I have great ones from when i worked in retail clothing stores!

I just find it hilarious that the woman wouldnt listen to what i was saying and to assume someones jewelry is from your store, brazing. Just found the difference between the stores amazing. One woman doing everything to make us happy and the other doing what she could to get a BIG sale!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/10/2004 11:45:20 AM Feydakin wrote:

Can those of us in B&M stores tell stories about some of the customers we have come through here?? :D
----------------

Yes!

Too many consumers fail to take responsibility for the consequences of their decisions, and fail to understand what the services of a store actually cost.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Specifically?

Examples would be more helpful to me than blanket statements...

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/10/2004 2:01:59 PM quaeritur wrote:

Specifically?

Examples would be more helpful to me than blanket statements...
----------------

Having just bought a nice chain for a pendant we had made, a jeweler explained that chains are expensive for them over the long run because they tend to have more problems than other pieces, and folks that abuse them come back in and expect a brand new one even if they caused the problem through negligence.

My custom guy complains that foks want him to remake pieces gratis when although it's exactly what they ordered they simply changed their mind.

I see on these message boards all the time where someone has several three carat stones brought in to look at and buys from someone else or the internet. Just the shipping costs can run in the hundreds of dollars for this.

More, more...
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first example is clearly vendor abuse by the customer. It's just down right rude and inconsiderate.

I see both sides of the picture for the second example. Sometimes it is very hard for the customer to visually see the final result in their mind's eye. If it isn't done exactly as promised, then yes, the vendor should alter it to the customer's satisfaction at their cost. On the other hand, if the customer simply changes their mind, the vendor should be paid for his work and compensated for the additional work to change it to suit the customer's new taste. Sadly, I admit to being one of these "fickle minded" customers but I'm sorry I'm very poor at envisioning the final result. I know it costs the vendor in terms of time and money. Wink is making alterations on my ring, trying his very best to please me and I feel so guilt-racked. Since I've sorta changed my mind, I feel that it is my responsibility to pay for the alteration.

Wink, if you are reading this, I proclaim you the God of Patience for working with me.

As for the last example, if the 3 carat stone or whatever carat size isn't exactly what the customer is looking for, why should they buy something they don't want? I see no reason why they can't keep looking until they find the right one via B&M or internet.

Edited to add: Wacky also pointed out in a different thread that there are a lot of internet vendors that have a physical B&M presence as well. So if a customer orders from an internet vendor, he/she might be ordering from a B&M as well, except the store might be very far away.

reena

Ideal_Rock
e.
w.

i feel for ya!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/10/2004 11:50:15 AM denverappraiser wrote:

By the way, Ame, who was that store that made you happy? I'm confident that they would love your endorsement and it sounds like they disserve some kudos.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA

Independent Appraisals in Denver----------------

wavey.gif

Sure Ill give my glowing review! Patty will know of this shop because she is local.

The store that has blown me away is Michael Genovese Diamonds. The store that we bought my stone from and had it set by just bugs me now. Its almost like they got my money and want me to go away. Well at least our salesman anyway, the other people there accomodate my obsessiveness well. It took two tries to get it set without looking weird. The first round was atrocious, lopsided and almost like the setting melted or something. I had to have prongs pushed down 5 times by them and I really suspect the last three they didn't do jack squat, because I still had issues with the same 4 prongs. We had another ring made by them with glowing service and quality so I was a little disappointed this time.

Well we went to look at Bands at Michael Genovese and they cleaned and checked my stone for chips and scratches, and fixed the prongs, even rounded them off better so that they wouldn't catch on anything else, and polished it all up FREE. Without me even ASKING for it. I haven't had a single problem since. They have fawned over how great my cut is every time Im there, and I have never heard them do that to anyone else in there. They custom make pieces often, and will make my wedding band and my fiancee's titanium band. They made his mom and sister's rings, both custom 8 prong heads. We might have a new head made for this the same way. They are attentive, never pushy, and so nice.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, I can add some stories - not specifically jewelry related. This one takes the cake though.

I had a women plop down in a chair which was for sale in my booth at a show. She proceeds to wip out her breast & start breast feeding her baby. Well, needless to say this isn't the most inviting of situation for people to come view your stuff. I was stunned. I asked her very nicely if she wanted to borrow the rocker in the ladies room. I didn't know what to do. I *really* thought this was very gracious of me to offer. I know new mothers can have a problem. She became all huffy & basically called me a child hater. Then, the next day someone from her laleche (sp?) society came in & cussed me out. Didn't I know this was all natural? All of them were boycotting me. I finally had enough & said "So, you think it is O.K. (this was a somewhat toney show)to come into my place of business which I am paying rent for, use a chair that I have for sale & proceed without asking to do something that may not be the most inviting of situations for someone to enter my booth. Well, call me crazy, it's wasn't the best for business."

Or the person who insisted they return something they thought was gold. I clearly told them it was *not* gold. It was vermiel. They thought they were smarter. When it didn't turn out to be the very thing I told them it was not, they wanted a refund. The receipt even stated "Vermiel - gold wash over sterling". Yet, I was the one who misrepresented something. I don't even carry gold.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
F&I--That is some story....I feel the same way.

As for breastfeeding in public--it IS natural and normal and nothing to be ashamed about--but it is also a rather private act. Once, my self-centered aunt "whipped it out"
6.gif
at the breakfast table in a crowded restaurant in from of my five-year old brother who was very confused by the whole thing...this was years ago on a family vacation. Not only was my brother confused and my 70-yr old grandfather embarrassed, but she did not show any regard for anyone else at the table.

I have strong opinions on this ever since.

In addition to this, though, in your story, there were other issues as to the impropriety of her actions at your place of business.

No--I am NOT a child hater but I would like to remind the universe that children are no different than the rest of us--we all deserve consideration and common courtesy.
2.gif
1.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Funny with the breastfeeding thing. I breastfed all three of my children for well over a year. I'm all for it- but discreetly and not in the public eye. I once left my grocery cart half full of groceries to go into the bathroom and feed my nearly hysterical newborn. The only place to discreetly sit down was on the toilet. I put the lid down and did so. When I exited the stall I was chewed out by a breastfeeding Nazi for "hiding in shame" while I breastfed. Shame on me for sitting in a dirty stall she said. (Stall wasn't dirty BTW) In some cultures whipping it out in public and nursing is the social norm. This culture isn't one of them. Just the way it is here.

As far as dealing with customers, I'm a dental hygienist by trade and I've had some real doozies over the years. The best ones are the ones who tell me "I didn't brush since I knew you'd be cleaning my teeth anyway." Gee Thanks!!
rolleyes.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/10/2004 2:23:25 PM chrono wrote:

As for the last example, if the 3 carat stone or whatever carat size isn't exactly what the customer is looking for, why should they buy something they don't want? I see no reason why they can't keep looking until they find the right one via B&M or internet.

---

This happened to me. My sentimental nature made me want to give our jeweler that sold us my first diamond a chance. I told him Blue Fluor, size, GH VS2-Si very good make (would consider an I with much blue). I drove 3 hours to view an E VS2 that was very deep & an I VVS1 - neither w/ any blue fluor. I didn't ask to see the stones he brought in. Same happened at another store. I don't feel guilty about *any* costs they incurred.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/11/2004 11:18:10 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
On 9/10/2004 2:23:25 PM chrono wrote:

---

This happened to me. My sentimental nature made me want to give our jeweler that sold us my first diamond a chance. I told him Blue Fluor, size, GH VS2-Si very good make (would consider an I with much blue). I drove 3 hours to view an E VS2 that was very deep & an I VVS1 - neither w/ any blue fluor. I didn't ask to see the stones he brought in. Same happened at another store. I don't feel guilty about *any* costs they incurred. ----------------

There are both sides here tho. When I was shopping for my stone, I would have loved to have someone local show me several side by side. However, I knew I wouldn't be buying from them (my local jewelers are very high priced), so I didn't think it was right to ask them to bring in stones for me to look at, even tho they volunteered. The difference is that you were a viable, potential customer, I, most likely was not.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm referring to what lop is talking about i.e. where the dealer incurs significant expense but never really has a fair chance at a sale, as well as where many first-timers don't realize that this is a two way street i.e. cost of bringing in stones to view. If you've communicated clearly what is wanted and that's not what comes back, by all means ask for another or move on, with no regrets. Just sent two color items back last week since they weren't really as represented...not in a deceptive way, but it's funny to me when there's no lab report involved let's just say there's more room for difference of opinion on color
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I had a similar situation. I went to a local jeweler, they were great, I told them what I wanted: excellent make .75-.80 D-E SI1 or SI2 (eye clean), medium-strong blue fluor a must. I also told them up front that I was also shopping online, but that I wanted to give local businesses a chance if they could find what I wanted, and for a reasonable price (I figured a few percentage points above online prices).

They brought in a 1 ct. G VVS or VS... it did have strong fluor.

And when I went back to talk about a custom pendant setting, they reamed me for having them bring in all these stones, and none were good enough for me.

Whatever. Needless to say, they won't be setting diddly squat for me.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
One day, before I started seriously ring shopping, I wandered into a mall store with my boyfriend. The saleswoman there was honestly the stupidest person I ever met.
I would ask her really simple questions, like the size of diamonds in different 3 stone settings, because that was what I was really interested in at that point, was just seeing the different proportions.. and she would tell me "I don't know.. read the tag."

then she showed me this other ring, that had a princess center stone in a band with more princesses, and informed me that it was indeed a ROUND center stone with princess cuts in the band.. Or maybe it was reverse.. regardless.... I then left and will never even buy cheap jewelery from that store.

Melissa

TLS

Shiny_Rock
we had a horrible experience at a local jeweler... had gone there to look at some diamonds. None of the diamonds had certs (or at least we weren't shown any) and most were extremely included, some with what looked like giant cracks under the table. anyway this was back about a year ago when i didn't know quite as much as I do today (thanks in a large part to pricescope). after we had been there for a little while the jeweler was putting some heavy pressure on my boyfriend for a sale. We told him we needed just a couple days to think about it and he flipped out on us and basically yelled at us for wasting his time. He implied that we basically had a lot of nerve having him set aside time to look at diamonds if we weren't prepared to buy one immediately! Strange... I thought that part of the business is being available to show people what you have and they aren't obligated to buy something that moment (or at all for that matter).

Anyway after this outburst we pretty much ran to our car glad that we saw the "other" personality. the only thing I regret now is not giving him a piece of my mind! I think I was in such absolute shock that I didn't know what to say. I can't even believe that this is how someone would treat a potential customer. Up until this outburst we were considering doing business with him (thankfully I have learned a lot more about diamonds since and know better).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results