shape
carat
color
clarity

interested in a colored stone asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been looking at some posts and I think that some of the ones I''ve seen posted are lovely. I''m in the very early stages of thinking about this, but I would like either a yellow or a pink stone of some kind, hard enough to put into a ring and wear, not every day, but fairly often without having to baby it, and cheap enough to get one on the larger size. About the size of a 4 or 5 carat diamond. Do you guys have any suggestions about what sort of stone, who is the best cutter and so on? what is the turnaround time usually? would it be realistic to hope to spend around $300 or should it be more for what I have in mind?

(I''ve seen a watermelon tourmaline asscher also that I like a whole lot, I forget whose it is. Was that a one of a kind thing and was it very expensive?)

If this was too many questions for one post forgive me--I have a kind of scattered mind.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Berry has been cutting some nice stones. Click here

I have more suggestions, but my cat just spilled water on my leather portfolio

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
wow, that one looks nice. Look forward to more suggestions, thanx.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
check with Gene at Precisiongem.com and Gary Braun at http://www.finewatergems.com/ and Peter Torraca http://torraca.net/gems/ there have been quite a few stunning asschers cut by them also Jeff White at http://www.whitesgems.com/index.htm . If you don''t see any, I would just drop them a line on a stone color and see whether they have any roughs to cut for you. your budget seems pretty doable. in Colored stone, I dont know carats very well ...lol i just go by size I''m looking for
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to consider a chrysoberyl and scapolite for the yellow, and a tourmaline for the pink. Even then, I doubt you can get one around 9 mm for under $300. When I inquired about getting a 5 ct pink asscher tourmaline, the price quoted was close to $1000.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to mention, that Barry at acstones.com would cut you a nice asscher modify colored gem, I know he cut my 7mm for I think $180 and I passed up on a couple that was even larger but still it was about $250 or slightly less... but they were pink tourmalines though.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I just received my asscher today, and this was my first gemcutting experience. I emailed both Peter Torraca and Gary Braun and both were incredibly informative and willing to talk out the pros and cons of different stones and cuts and give plenty of expert recommendations. Both of them were incredibly friendly and eager -- you could tell they really enjoyed what they do, so going in with what you''ve posted here will certainly get you started.

I''m thinking that tourmaline would be more than $300 . . . but they''ll certainly be able to give you general estimates. Gary''s estimate turned out to be more than the final cost, so there were no surprises there, except for a pleasant "woohoo, under budget!" one. :)

I''d establish what size you want, in millimeters instead of carats. Asschers are tricky b/c they''re so deep. But again, opening up a convo with either/both of these guys will help you solidify your direction.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Morganite is also a nice option for a light pink stone, especially if you''re looking for a larger stone (and you are). And when it comes to yellows I''d also consider yellow beryl, yellow zircon and of course citrine.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2009 3:00:34 AM
Author: ma re
Morganite is also a nice option for a light pink stone, especially if you''re looking for a larger stone (and you are). And when it comes to yellows I''d also consider yellow beryl, yellow zircon and of course citrine.

Good suggestions for less expensive stones, ma re!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a good idea for the morganite - a nice light pink that costs very little.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results