shape
carat
color
clarity

Intepreting idealscope for VS1

Dee-Y

Rough_Rock
Hi

In addition to PS being a fantastic place to self-educate, I was hoping someone would be able to assist me in interpreting the attached idealscope image.

I'm looking, with a budget of <$5k, for a round diamond with the following characteristics:

Cut: excellent
Carat: 0.9ct+
Colour: I or better
Clarity: VS1 or better

I've also been working with targeted table/depth/crown/pavilion values to try and find a well-performing diamond. I've identified this diamond thats:

0.9ct - I - VS1 - excellent cut
L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 61.70
TABLE %: 58.00
CROWN: 35.50 deg
PAVILION: 40.60 deg

This was outside of my targeted crown/pavilion range, but I understand that this crown/pavilion combination can work. The inclusion listed was 'cloud' and this is presumably what gives rise to the light leakage in the attached idealscope image. Bearing in mind that it looks eye-clean (at least with online pics) is this light leakage significant enough to avoid this diamond and keep looking elsewhere, or should I go ahead with this one?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to comment!

_38631.jpg

Dee-Y

Rough_Rock
And a pic...

_38632.jpg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Dee-Y,

Well done on all your research so far.

You have a healthy budget for a well cut 0.9I diamond. There is about 3 clock hours of leakage on that diamond which I personally would pass on, as I think you can do better with your budget.

The clouds from a VS1 are nothing to do with the leakage you can see on the idealscope, this is to do with lack of symmetry in the cut.

The angles you found are quite capable of presenting beautiful diamonds, if they are cut well. 35.5 is an average of all 8 crown angles, and 40.6 is an average of all 8 pavilion angles. What you don' t know is how varied those numbers are.

You don't NEED a VS1 to have a beautiful sparkly eye clean diamond, a well cut eye clean SI1 is more sparkly than a poorly cut VS1. I think if you consider dropping to a VS2 you would open many more options.

When choosing a vendor, keep into account whether you would like to ugprade in the future as they have different policies. B2C usually has excellent value but not as decent an upgrade policy as WF (which is also excellent value for super ideal cuts).
Here are some options for you:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6956911-0.90-carat-Round-diamond-H-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8888329-0.91-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-VS2-clarity.aspx this looks decent as well (if you request the idealscope / ASET from b2c).

Your diamond that you posted I believe is an H not an I, which I was about to recommend but you already have the images which aren't the best you could get. This emphasises the importance of idealscopes/ASETS. It's certainly not an ugly diamond but with your budget why settle?

WF also has a lovely selection. Could not find ACA within budget but their expert selection has some amazing stones that only miss out on ACA standard for minor details

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3751793.htm

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what's the price?

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
for that stone above initially posted it's $4790

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gm89uk|1480116156|4102625 said:
for that stone above initially posted it's $4790
keep shopping...
may be around at 4k.. but NO at 4.8k.. At that price, we are talking 1.0c I VS2/SI1 or 0.9c G VS2

Dee-Y

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your kind advice, and for the helpful directions. WF's expert range looks to be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results