shape
carat
color
clarity

Insuring Center Stone Only?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Prufrock

Rough_Rock
Will insurance comapanies insure just the diamond (=center stone)?

I am looking into the option of having just my 1 carat center stone appraised and insured since it is approx 85% of the total value of the engagement ring.

Also, what is the typical rate for insuring a diamond jewelry? On another thread, I read $200/yr for $10,000 ring. So is around 2% of the appraised value per year typical?

frugal

Rough_Rock
Also, what is the typical rate for insuring a diamond jewelry? On another thread, I read $200/yr for $10,000 ring. So is around 2% of the appraised value per year typical?

I can tell you that to figure "typical", it depends WHERE you live. I live in the Seattle area, and it is about $27 for a rider for $2000 ring (1.35%). I would not be surprised if places like New Orleans would be a lot HIGHER (because of Crime Rate).

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will not be able to insure the stone only without the mounting. You possibly can take a deductible that reduces the cost of insurance and leaves you partially responsible for the first $250, $500 or $1000 of any replacement or damage claim. In Philadelphia you can pay as high as 3% per year for coverage of high value items. The norm is more like 1.5% for regular jewelry and semi-suburban living situations.

One thing to avoid is an overly high appraisal which far exceeds the acutual cost of a very recent purchase. A new item may be insured right near actual cost unless it was such a special price that a replacement could never be obtained at that price. A very rare circumstance no matter what a seller might have told you to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results