shape
carat
color
clarity

Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oneskot

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a loose stone from an internet site. I have looked at BlueNile, DirtCheap.., others. Although BlueNile is far from the least expensive, is anyone aware of insurance I can purchase to hedge against the possibility of not getting what I expect - or have PERSONAL experience (the good kind) with a particular site? I am even considering flying to Antwerp if I can make it worth my while - any thoughts? I am in the market for somewhere between a 1.75 and 2.25 stone.....thanks in advance, I am learning a lot here from you pros.

wndrful

Rough_Rock
I suppose, the word you are looking for is "assuarance" not "insurance"

For that you can have diamond of interest shipped to an independent appraiser directly rather than shipping the stone to you. The independent appraiser will then look at the stone, and tell you that
1. you are getting your moneys worth (in other words, diamond and cert match)
2. you are getting your moneys worth(in terms of cut quality, visual performance etc)

Once thats done, you are satisfied, you can then send the money to the vendor and appraiser would ship stone to you.

If having the appraiser at a third place bothers you, then you can try to find an independent appraiser in your town so you will be able to see the diamond in person and make a personal decision.

In the whole thing, you will have to put a trust on someone, otherwise it is not going to work, whether in your town, or on internet or in antwerp.

Hope this helps

wndrful

Rough_Rock
Pardon my analogy: But going to Antwerp for diamond shopping just might be like going to Florida to buy the best orange a money can buy. :))

Just going to Florida might not help. You need to know the right growing region and also the right farmer who will sell it to you. You also should know orange breed/type you want and also the expertise to recoginse it.

After all that you might find that the best ones are shipped to the gourmet grocery store thats couple blocks down the street from where you live. ;))

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wonderful analogy :)

You could also consider a second and third order question.

If you are a guy buying a diamond for someone who you find attractive - and she accepts you and your diamond - you may find the honey is not as sweet as you thought it might be?

Then she has the beautiful diamond and you have a broken heart and bank balance.

Ooohhh life can be cruel. On the other hand many beutiful relationships have been consumated with inferioir quality diamonds that have been gifted with great love and become family heirlooms.

I guess I had a glass of wine :) over dinner.

oneskot

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/17/2002 6:03:14 PM

I suppose, the word you are looking for is "assuarance" not "insurance"

For that you can have diamond of interest shipped to an independent appraiser directly rather than shipping the stone to you. The independent appraiser will then look at the stone, and tell you that
1. you are getting your moneys worth (in other words, diamond and cert match)
2. you are getting your moneys worth(in terms of cut quality, visual performance etc)

Once thats done, you are satisfied, you can then send the money to the vendor and appraiser would ship stone to you.

If having the appraiser at a third place bothers you, then you can try to find an independent appraiser in your town so you will be able to see the diamond in person and make a personal decision.

In the whole thing, you will have to put a trust on someone, otherwise it is not going to work, whether in your town, or on internet or in antwerp.

Hope this helps
----------------

Thanks, I understand what you are saying - I was unaware of the how the appraiser works. That sounds like a good solution.

oneskot

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/17/2002 6:10:11 PM

Pardon my analogy: But going to Antwerp for diamond shopping just might be like going to Florida to buy the best orange a money can buy. :))

Just going to Florida might not help. You need to know the right growing region and also the right farmer who will sell it to you. You also should know orange breed/type you want and also the expertise to recoginse it.

After all that you might find that the best ones are shipped to the gourmet grocery store thats couple blocks down the street from where you live. ;))
----------------

Well - it's not just about the quality of the "Orange"...the question is: is the price at the grocery store down the street gonna cost me more than the trip to Florida? And don't forget, FL can be fun to visit while you are there :devil:

oneskot

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/18/2002 6:47:53 AM

Wonderful analogy :)

You could also consider a second and third order question.

If you are a guy buying a diamond for someone who you find attractive - and she accepts you and your diamond - you may find the honey is not as sweet as you thought it might be?

Then she has the beautiful diamond and you have a broken heart and bank balance.

Ooohhh life can be cruel. On the other hand many beutiful relationships have been consumated with inferioir quality diamonds that have been gifted with great love and become family heirlooms.

I guess I had a glass of wine :) over dinner.
----------------

I think you are in the wrong forum, your reply belongs at the Vous Et Nul Autre side of the house. LOL, I'm pretty sure I was not asking for advice in matters of the heart, just the financial.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results