shape
carat
color
clarity

Insurance advice greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oliviob

Rough_Rock
Happy Holiday''s Pricescopers!

Quick question. Can anyone recommend coverage for my new e-ring. Already have it appraised, Jennifer Thornton is amazing, btw. Wondering if anybody could shoot me a few suggestions, cost effective, etc etc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do a search here for Chubb and for Jeweler''s Mutual.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have my jewelry insured through writers on my homeowner''s policy with USAA (limited to military people, but other companies provide this service also.) One of the keys IMO to insurance is to insure it for an actual replacement value -- the kind of value that you paid for it, maybe with a small pad for price increases. Some appraisals give a "retail" value, which is much higher than what you paid. That just means that the insurer will pay less than you did (with their buying power) but charge you premiums for the much higher value. There''s no need to do that.

Most insurance companies write the policies where they have the option to replace or refund at their discretion. Chubb is the exception as far as I now. They write refund only policies which some people prefer. If you get the first kind, make sure they have all the detailed info from your appraisal so that if it comes to it you can make sure you get something comparable at least to what you are insuring. With a detailed appraisal, you should be ok either way.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I also use a rider on my homeowner''s policy (Nationwide).

But recently, we''ve also heard good things about State Farm''s Stand alone valuable articles policy. They''d provide the (possible) advantages of a) a person to sign up with who is local, b) dirt cheap pricing, and c) maybe a cash out in the case of a loss.

Consistency of data collection, presentation, & evaluation in this area is very bad and too highly variable.

Regards,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''ve used homeowner''s for years, but I am thinking about changing to Chubb for a few items since they will write a check for the insured amount and homeowner''s usually does not.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
I have mine insured through my homeowners and just recently had to place a claim for my center stone that chipped. They had my independent appraisal and cashed me out with little or no problem for that amount.

It was amazingly very easy.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I just insured my ring through Chubb about an hour ago. Flather & Perkins, Georgia Moschonas, 202-466-8888. She is located in DC and wrote me a policy for Maryland. I don''t know where you live, you''ll have to call and see if she can write a policy for your state.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results