shape
carat
color
clarity

"Inspired by": Antique ring mashed with a Mege basket question

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
First off, I hope I am not committing a huge faux pas, and I want to do the right thing, so PLEASE tell me if I'm even allowed to do this. I saved a picture of a Leon Mege ring 8 years ago (Nov 4, 2011!!! LOL) that i LOVE the head/basket on, LOVE. It's SUPER unique though. Since I wouldn't be using anything but the head design I think I'm well within that "more than 20% design change" but because it's SO incredibly unique, if anyone feels it's not ok to use it, PLEASE feel free to figuratively post-slap me.

I found a "sold" antique ring I love the shank on "estate diamond jewelry" website, but I hate the basket/head. I emailed them and it was an antique and like I said it's sold anyway. So I would like to use the shank from the antique ring and if it's not considered 'stealing', I'd like to use the head/basket from the Mege ring.

So, assuming it's ok to use the Mege head/basket, my question is, I feel like the Leon Mege head is very "modern" since it's polished, and the shank on the ring I love is obviously very antique looking. Do you think it would look weird to have the "wheat" looking pattern that is after the shoulders on the antique ring etched into the modern Mege head? Or does anyone have any other ideas on how to make the Mege head look more "antiquey"?

Thank you for helping a newbie navigate the complicated world of making a setting! I have a 2.27 "L" colored OMC.

basket.jpg 0shankbasketangle.jpg 0shankfront.jpg 0shankside.jpg

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you would have trouble cutting off the basket of the Leon ring and trying to merge it with the sides of the second Antique ring and I agree the two styles don't seem to be at first glance something I'd join together.

You could probably get someone to design and make you a new ring combining the two styles but I don't think it is as easy as cutting the basket/head off one ring and attempting to put that neatly onto the second ring you have selected.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I understand completely I would be having someone "create" a new design to make it work. If I wasn't clear, i dont own that Leon Mege ring, I just saved a picture of it, so it's not like I am cutting the head off it, I would have a designer merge these two designs.

Im asking how to make that Mege basket look more antiquey looking, and is it OK to use that basket design from Mege or is it too unique

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For that type of detail, and design help, I'd reach out to Caysie of CvB Inspired Design. This is firmly in her wheelhouse.

Some may recommend David Klass and he has a great quality product, but I think you need to know what you want with him. I think there's a lesser focus on design v production.

With the pave work, you might consider Maytal Hannah too.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that type of detail, and design help, I'd reach out to Caysie of CvB Inspired Design. This is firmly in her wheelhouse.

Some may recommend David Klass and he has a great quality product, but I think you need to know what you want with him. I think there's a lesser focus on design v production.

This!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case I agree with the others you need someone like Caysie or another designer that is capable of merging both styles successfully without it looking weird.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just add milgrain kidding :)

Softening the "w" shape to more of a crescent could help give it a less modern and less "mege" look. Maybe take a look at erika winters' settings, i think there are a couple with swoopy baskets and hers do look a bit antiquey. .

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely reach out to Caysie and show her what inspires your ideas. To even get the wheat pattern you won’t be able to use the rounded look of the metal on the Leon head. Caysie will be able to help.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can totally see these two merged.

Something like the Erika Winters head could work if it used the same shape as the top of the shoulder.

1571831450573.png

1571831393268.png

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Art of Platinum has done that shank once upon a time (I recall a sapphire ring that is no longer on display), so they might suggest a great way to do a you wish.

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Just add milgrain kidding :)

Softening the "w" shape to more of a crescent could help give it a less modern and less "mege" look. Maybe take a look at erika winters' settings, i think there are a couple with swoopy baskets and hers do look a bit antiquey. .

Is there a joke Im missing since I'm a newbie about adding milgrain??!! I love that suggestion! That might look less 'busy' than doing the 'wheat' engraving on the head/prongs.

I also agree that softening it a little so it's a little less swoopy would be good. THANK YOU!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I can totally see these two merged.

Something like the Erika Winters head could work if it used the same shape as the top of the shoulder.

1571831450573.png

1571831393268.png
Oh, I love this 'lotus' look, maybe instead of the hidden sapphire put something like this shape there and then it would tie the sides in really nicely! Thank you!!

It's not at all about who I would use, it was a question of just ideas of what might look good. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a joke Im missing since I'm a newbie about adding milgrain??!! I love that suggestion! That might look less 'busy' than doing the 'wheat' engraving on the head/prongs.

I also agree that softening it a little so it's a little less swoopy would be good. THANK YOU!

Oh no, just being a little cheeky b/c i think adding milgrain instantly gives a puece an antique vibe. :) like, just add water

I think you're changing the design enough not to worry btw, good luck with the project!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Art of Platinum has done that shank once upon a time (I recall a sapphire ring that is no longer on display), so they might suggest a great way to do a you wish.
I will check out their site, thank you for the suggestion!

Reactions: AV_

Inked

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much for the resources! I will check them out!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, just being a little cheeky b/c i think adding milgrain instantly gives a puece an antique vibe. :) like, just add water

I think you're changing the design enough not to worry btw, good luck with the project!
LOL! Thank you, you know when you overthink a design too much?? I feel like I was doing that so when you were like "just add milgrain" I was like "Duh, of course!"

I actually really love the ring in your avatar, the pic is small but it looks like you can see the gold of the cup peeking out from the edges, I really love how that looks!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
In that case I agree with the others you need someone like Caysie or another designer that is capable of merging both styles successfully without it looking weird.
Thank you!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring by TheGemstoneProject would be another approach way, but maybe not swoopy enough. These prongs could have the wheat engraved to tie to the shank.

1571843862587.png
1571843876837.png

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
This ring by TheGemstoneProject would be another approach way, but maybe not swoopy enough. These prongs could have the wheat engraved to tie to the shank.

1571843862587.png
1571843876837.png
Oh, this is pretty cool looking! I love the details! I love that little embellishment above the diamond on the side and all the engraving.

One other thing I was wondering, and this ring has a 'heavier' basket so it made me think of it, do I need to worry about light return using a basket that might be more 'filled in' with metal?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! Thank you, you know when you overthink a design too much?? I feel like I was doing that so when you were like "just add milgrain" I was like "Duh, of course!"

I actually really love the ring in your avatar, the pic is small but it looks like you can see the gold of the cup peeking out from the edges, I really love how that looks!

thank you! mine was also an overthought mashup =) i feel your pain!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is pretty cool looking! I love the details! I love that little embellishment above the diamond on the side and all the engraving.

One other thing I was wondering, and this ring has a 'heavier' basket so it made me think of it, do I need to worry about light return using a basket that might be more 'filled in' with metal?
No. Diamonds accept light from the table, and if older or has cutting issues, the girdle. The sides are all about what you want to see.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
No. Diamonds accept light from the table, and if older or has cutting issues, the girdle. The sides are all about what you want to see.
Awesome - thank you! I didnt know that.

I bought the diamond from Love Affair Diamonds and I love it and it makes me happy and i can't return it. I had been looking for a few months on Parks Fine, Old World, Jewels by Grace, but I kept coming back to this one. I don't actually know if it's "cut well" from the perspective of I didn't do any of the 'tests' on it checking the percentages and all that, but it's pretty and I love it, so thats all that matters in the end right? LOL!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome - thank you! I didnt know that.

I bought the diamond from Love Affair Diamonds and I love it and it makes me happy and i can't return it. I had been looking for a few months on Parks Fine, Old World, Jewels by Grace, but I kept coming back to this one. I don't actually know if it's "cut well" from the perspective of I didn't do any of the 'tests' on it checking the percentages and all that, but it's pretty and I love it, so thats all that matters in the end right? LOL!
That is ALL that matters. Your eyes and your love of it. Now, you get to design her lovely
setting.

One question to ponder is if you intend to stack rings with this setting? If so, that may influence some of the design elements and width of the shank. The vintage ring you posted would have been worn alone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My really strong advice here:
Consumers - even experienced consumers - who try to meld settings usually wind up with Frankenrings. That’s because what makes a ring really isn’t the big, obvious elements - it’s the nuances of how those details are chosen and intertwined.

You’ve heard of McMansions? Houses with elements of a hodgepodge of eras - gothic columns, stone patios, stone facade fronts and vinyl siding and brick chimneys, Dutch gables and ultra-modern asymmetry... all those elements can be independently attractive but forcing them together yields an anachronistic house that just looks confused. A house no architect would ever come up with.

Rings suffer the same. I’ll be honest: there are a number of McMansion rings here on PS. Trellis baskets combined with architectural deco galleries. Fishtail pave next to wheat engraving with milgrain edging. Angular step cuts in curvy, fluid, liquid-metal settings. Dramatic Victorian heads on pipe cut shanks... Merging of independently attractive representations of different times and techonologies that results in a ring that’s got an identity crisis. A ring no designer would ever come up with.

I think what you’re doing right now - looking at different jewellers works, finding elements you like and dislike - is a fantastic way to start your setting project!! I caution you to stop before getting to the point of trying to meld details yourself though. Choose a designer whose overall aesthetic matches what you’re looking for, send him or her your inspiration pictures, explain what you like and dislike, and let your designer create a period-appropriate piece that highlights the best that your chosen look and feel has to offer ❤ It won’t have all the elements you like - but trust me, you don’t ever want a single piece that does!!

I have had wonderful experiences with Caysie van Bebber, Erika Winters, and Leon Mege, and can wholeheartedly recommend any of them. All are designers first and foremost, and all have exceptional benches.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love this 'lotus' look, maybe instead of the hidden sapphire put something like this shape there and then it would tie the sides in really nicely! Thank you!!

It's not at all about who I would use, it was a question of just ideas of what might look good. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

I do hope you will consider very carefully who you will choose because it very much IS about who you will use. Right now all you have are aspects of certain rings that you like. The smartest way forward is to work with an artist that can incorporate as many aspects as possible without it looking like a frankenring and who will tell it to you straight. That is why many suggested Caysie as her aesthetic is very much in line with what you like, but she’s an experienced artisan. Erika winters does amazing work and so does Leon Mege. Be ready to hear what you may not like though. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a beautiful piece.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d agree with what the last two ladies said and just have one thing to add. If you want to avoid the mix of wring elements, try to look for antique rings from the same era to find complementary elements. The ring you are looking at may be from the Edwardian era (not claiming any expertise in that!) so look through more Edwardian rings. However, in my many times of working with Caysie, I have come to her with general ideas and every single time she has improved the design because she’s a gifted designer. Off hand, I can’t think of anyone else I’d recommend for this particular style ring. Well, Singlestone is the other but much higher in price. Just understand that sometimes it takes a little longer for a project with her, and always when specialty cut stones are involved. But I have found her work (and bench) to be the best at antique and unique designs.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I do hope you will consider very carefully who you will choose because it very much IS about who you will use. Right now all you have are aspects of certain rings that you like. The smartest way forward is to work with an artist that can incorporate as many aspects as possible without it looking like a frankenring and who will tell it to you straight. That is why many suggested Caysie as her aesthetic is very much in line with what you like, but she’s an experienced artisan. Erika winters does amazing work and so does Leon Mege. Be ready to hear what you may not like though. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a beautiful piece.
I had said that only because I already chose who I was using, but i just figured let me throw it out to the community and see if anyone else had something cool to add... and also to make sure I wasnt committing a faux pas or 'stealing' because I want to use this Mege basket, I am heavily tattooed and I have had people "steal" my tattoos, and I personally couldnt care less, truly, I'm flattered, but it's a big deal to some artists, so i wanted to be aware of that.

So it' was WAY more about making sure it was OK to use that head/basket design and how to make it more 'antique' looking, and thanks to my "just add milgrain!" friend I am super happy with that idea!

The thing is, I am commissioning a piece, I am wearing it, so if *I* love it, isnt that all that matters? Lets go back to the tattoo analogy, that is a piece of art permanently on my body, so I don't care at all if (the artist) doesn't like it, your job is technical skill, if you dont like the content then you can choose to not do the tattoo and I'll respect that and move on, but their job is not to judge my taste in art or talk me into something they just like better, it's not on their body! I walk out and they never see it again, and I see it every day.

I actually tried to work with a popular designer and yeah, they kept saying "no" about things I wanted, and they talked me into something else.... And so I let them talk me into it. Thats my fault. Thats on me, thats not them at all, i am not mad at them, they did exactly what i agreed to.... but I have been disappointed with it every single day since I got engaged.

I sincerely hope that doesnt come across as rude, but I got talked into something that maybe all the jewelry experts would like because it's 'technically' right... and Im unhappy.

It's like mullets, we all know mullets are wrong, we all snicker at mullets and secretly make fun of mullets with our friends, or take pics when we see one in real life, but that guy is confidently loving his party in the back!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
My really strong advice here:
Consumers - even experienced consumers - who try to meld settings usually wind up with Frankenrings. That’s because what makes a ring really isn’t the big, obvious elements - it’s the nuances of how those details are chosen and intertwined.

You’ve heard of McMansions? Houses with elements of a hodgepodge of eras - gothic columns, stone patios, stone facade fronts and vinyl siding and brick chimneys, Dutch gables and ultra-modern asymmetry... all those elements can be independently attractive but forcing them together yields an anachronistic house that just looks confused. A house no architect would ever come up with.

Rings suffer the same. I’ll be honest: there are a number of McMansion rings here on PS. Trellis baskets combined with architectural deco galleries. Fishtail pave next to wheat engraving with milgrain edging. Angular step cuts in curvy, fluid, liquid-metal settings. Dramatic Victorian heads on pipe cut shanks... Merging of independently attractive representations of different times and techonologies that results in a ring that’s got an identity crisis. A ring no designer would ever come up with.

I think what you’re doing right now - looking at different jewellers works, finding elements you like and dislike - is a fantastic way to start your setting project!! I caution you to stop before getting to the point of trying to meld details yourself though. Choose a designer whose overall aesthetic matches what you’re looking for, send him or her your inspiration pictures, explain what you like and dislike, and let your designer create a period-appropriate piece that highlights the best that your chosen look and feel has to offer ❤ It won’t have all the elements you like - but trust me, you don’t ever want a single piece that does!!

I have had wonderful experiences with Caysie van Bebber, Erika Winters, and Leon Mege, and can wholeheartedly recommend any of them. All are designers first and foremost, and all have exceptional benches.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I read though it (twice) and agree with you - and I truly feel honored to be part of this community of experts that really takes their time to explain things so thoroughly and thoughtfully. Especially to someone new!

I ACTUALLY CALL IT FRANKENRING!! I photoshopped a sample and literally named the JPG "frankenring" Hahahaha!!

So, I put a response above along these same lines, I understand that the ring will definitely NOT be everyone's taste, just like me being covered in tattoos is definitely not everyone's taste, but I am the one wearing it, and only I need to love it. Like the people in McMansions, you're right, they are AWFUL and I might totally side eye the residents of them and think they're so tacky or gaudy or whatever, but hey, if they're happy, who am i to judge them?

I totally get it, for the people here, you guys are literally experts, I hear you, you're trying to gently and tactfully tell me "DONT DO IT!" and I do appreciate it, but I promise, I won't go mass producing my "monstrosity", i wont even post it! I'm just sad about the ring I have now and want to love it and be happy as I should be when I see it.

I just want to love my ring, and the gorgeous, technically perfect, extremely well crafted ring I am wearing at the moment doesn't make my heart sing the way "frankenring" will hopefully do!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, in skimming the thread, I missed that you are already working with a ring designer! They should certainly be able to get the design the way you want! I'll look forward to seeing it!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, in skimming the thread, I missed that you are already working with a ring designer! They should certainly be able to get the design the way you want! I'll look forward to seeing it!
Oh my gosh no worries, I really didn't mention it to be honest, because I hadnt really decided when I set out with my question.... and rightfully the members here were saying "well, you're not a jeweler, get an expert and let them make something correct and beautiful for you!" That is an accurate, thoughtful and valid answer.... but I do want to make it myself. It will probably be a technical mess, but i know me, and I will love it more because it's MY mess. *I* am a mess, now my ring will match my personality.... LOL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results