shape
carat
color
clarity

Inspection tmrw but need a backup plan

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
You have assessed light performance and inclusions.
To assess cloudiness, take both stones to a strong light source. Look for any scattering of light, especially in the G. Think of the difference between strong light reflected off of clean mirror and slightly dirty mirror. Also view from the side. Think of the difference betwen clean water and water with a half drop of milk.

Would direct sunlight be a good source for testing the transparency? We had a beautiful sunny day and both took on a slightly blue color. I was kind of surprised. The G has faint fluorescence and the H says negligible fluorescence. They looked identical to me. My daughter said the G looked slightly more transparent to her. Neither looked as transparent as my oval. I don’t know if that’s because of the different facet pattern or its IF clarity. It’s probably not a good idea to compare transparency of a round to an oval, right? I did not view them from the side in the sunlight. I will do that tomorrow, and look for a very clear water like appearance from the side. Thank you!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would direct sunlight be a good source for testing the transparency? We had a beautiful sunny day and both took on a slightly blue color. I was kind of surprised. The G has faint fluorescence and the H says negligible fluorescence. They looked identical to me. My daughter said the G looked slightly more transparent to her. Neither looked as transparent as my oval. I don’t know if that’s because of the different facet pattern or its IF clarity. It’s probably not a good idea to compare transparency of a round to an oval, right? I did not view them from the side in the sunlight. I will do that tomorrow, and look for a very clear water like appearance from the side. Thank you!

I personally use direct sunlight, but it is tricky and you gotta know what you look for.
I recommend daylight next to the window, which is, based on the photos, what you are already using.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty stones!!! At this point, it seems that the color or clarity will have to make your decision!

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I have tried them in practically every inch of the house, outside, in the vehicle, and at Costco. They both look great to me. I even asked to see a diamond at Costco to compare. It was a VS2, and I was so surprised at the difference in performance. The Costco diamond was considerably less fiery. I mostly wanted to compare transparency. As far as that was concerned, it looked the same as mine. So I feel both diamonds I have are transparent.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’m very happy with either, just have to figure out which one to part with, lol.

Yes, sometimes it helps to think of it as, which one would I be sad to let go of?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Yes, sometimes it helps to think of it as, which one would I be sad to let go of?

Yes, that absolutely helps with making decisions. Thanks! I’m leaning toward the G because I can see a very subtle color difference, and I can’t see the black crystal at all and I’ve tried so hard, lol. Plus, it’s cheaper, by $620. It has all the same fire and brilliance of the H. It’s just a little less valuable to pass down to my daughter but she visually prefers the G. I’m going to wait a few more days to be sure.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I personally use direct sunlight, but it is tricky and you gotta know what you look for.
I recommend daylight next to the window, which is, based on the photos, what you are already using.

I’ve been trying to find info on the scatter effect of diamonds with twinning wisps. I can’t find anything on the web, other than it being mentioned on PS.

Is this something that is quite obvious in direct light? If you see any red flags in my photos I posted, I’d rather know than not. I know it’s hard to tell by photos, especially when they are not high resolution images. Since they look the same in all lighting I’ve tried, would it be reasonable to assume that neither have transparency issues? I mean, both look a little strange in the direct sun (take on more blue than expected), and both look dark but with lots of rainbow effects.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe @MissGotRocks once had a stone with twining wisps that bothered her and she upgraded. It might be that her stone was 2 cts so the wisps were more easily seen. But I thought you might like her comments on wisps.

As much as I like G color, I think I'd have to go for the H because the G is just not clean enough for me. But since it actually is eyeclean to you, that's really all that matters!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DS you are correct. I did have a diamond that was just at the two carat mark. It had a large twining wisp across the table. I honestly could only see it with magnification but after having seen it up close, I couldn’t ‘unsee’ it. I understand why some feel that it is a good inclusion to have because it usually isn’t readily visible but they are usually large and can cause transparency issues. I traded that diamond primarily for that reason. This may or may not matter to the OP but that was my experience.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I believe @MissGotRocks once had a stone with twining wisps that bothered her and she upgraded. It might be that her stone was 2 cts so the wisps were more easily seen. But I thought you might like her comments on wisps.

As much as I like G color, I think I'd have to go for the H because the G is just not clean enough for me. But since it actually is eyeclean to you, that's really all that matters!

If you truly love both equally I would likely choose the less expensive one. I think both are very nice

I literally can’t see the wisps. Maybe because it’s only a carat. I can see the crystal but only with the loupe. Maybe I just don’t know what the wisps actually look like. I can see the color difference, mostly by a window or outside. I feel like the G is slightly brighter too, but I’m not sure if that’s due to color or something else. I see that dark triangular facet on top of the H as it rotates and it’s definitely noticeable, even from a distance. Not a huge issue but just something I’ve noticed.

I have no hesitation about spending the extra money on the H, especially if it looked better and performed better but it doesn’t, that I can tell. I’m going to spend some time looking at the G through the loupe. I would hate to wait until the return period is over and suddenly see the wisps or crystal.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Also, if I keep the G, would it be unreasonable to ask them to move the prongs so that all the arrows are visible? I hate that four are partially covered by prongs. I feel like I’ve been so picky and had so many questions and requests.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if I keep the G, would it be unreasonable to ask them to move the prongs so that all the arrows are visible? I hate that four are partially covered by prongs. I feel like I’ve been so picky and had so many questions and requests.

Not unreasonable, but you'd need to specify how you want the stone rotated. The prongs themselves would stay where they are, but the stone would be rotated. You would want to make sure you are ok with the way they rotate the stone so it doesnt look "askew" to your eyes.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Not unreasonable, but you'd need to specify how you want the stone rotated. The prongs themselves would stay where they are, but the stone would be rotated. You would want to make sure you are ok with the way they rotate the stone so it doesnt look "askew" to your eyes.

Thank you, I may request this. I’m wondering if it is typical to set a round with the 12 o’clock arrow position, with 4 arrows under prongs. I’m sure most people don’t even worry about it, lol.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
One more question, when looking directly at the diamond, should the arrows be more silver or black?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I’d like to attach a couple videos but I’m not seeing that option.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Depends on the lighting

That makes sense. The arrows seem to be darker in artificial and softer lighting and more silvery in indirect sunlight. Thank you! I have so many questions and I truly appreciate the help I’ve received here.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I may request this. I’m wondering if it is typical to set a round with the 12 o’clock arrow position, with 4 arrows under prongs. I’m sure most people don’t even worry about it, lol.

Able to read the inscription on the girdle is more important to me so that I can identify my diamond. If they can line up the arrows and still able to read the inscriptions that would be great..:dance:

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Able to read the inscription on the girdle is more important to me so that I can identify my diamond. If they can line up the arrows and still able to read the inscriptions that would be great..:dance:

Good point. I can’t even find the inscription with my 10x or 20x loupe. My poor eyes will be 43 on Friday, lol. Very good point, and I would need to find it before making that kind of request.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I’m having such a rough time with this decision. I had almost decided to keep the G SI1 when I read on a different thread about how twinning wisps always effect transparency. Is this true? My eyes are so exhausted with comparing these two diamonds. I prefer the color of the G, for sure. I think the H might have slightly better contrast. Both are very fiery and brilliant.

Can someone please comment on twinning wisps? Do they effect transparency the majority of the time?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results