shape
carat
color
clarity

Input on a Moonstone/Opal Ring

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I found this 14k ring interesting and wanted some input. The reputable seller tested the middle stone as opal and the surrounding stones as rainbow moonstone (white laboradite). He has free returns and offered a good deal so I’m thinking about it. I’d love everyone’s thoughts. The side view pictures show a blue illumination on the surrounding stones like typical moonstone but they are also quite opaque like opal. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 48E60B5F-62AC-4E05-97C1-06CC7E695717.png
    48E60B5F-62AC-4E05-97C1-06CC7E695717.png
    839.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 7B002B57-9DEC-4AFA-981E-A368324CC318.png
    7B002B57-9DEC-4AFA-981E-A368324CC318.png
    946.2 KB · Views: 12

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I'd probably skip --

(a) there are a lot of prongs there and itd be easy for one to catch on something and come lose.

(b) I somewhat doubt they're actually as described as I don't see a lot of indication that the surrounding stones are different from the center one. For the record blue sheen moonstone (orthoclase), labradorite and feldspar in general can all be subtly different. While blue sheen moonstone can have a whitish body colour I personally cant see much (or any really) blue sheen in the photos. My guess would have been at cheap opal, synthetic opal (seems unlikely), or an opal doublet or triplet (also seems unlikely but youd need to see the stones from the back).

Edit -- I just read that you are taking it as labradorite (possible but then would stop looking for the blue sheen characteristic of orthoclase. Also labradorite is a huge group of stones, again itd be pushing it to say this had any of the characteristics you should be looking for in rainbow moonstone. Look at mayer and watt for what you should actually be expecting in a good rainbow moonstone. Again as I look at the pictures I am still not convinced its labradorite either... although this stuff is cheap if it is poor quality so I can't see why they would have put in an immitation).

(c) setting doesn't look like especially high quality work. Personally I don't exactly like how high its sitting and the rustic look is convenient given what looks like a general lack of uniformity in how the prongs and various parts of the setting align -- ok its finish is rustic, but really if they'd gone for anything else I'd be face palming over the lack of symmetry in how the prongs are positioned etc and I know that this'd eventually eat at me anyway.

So overall definitely would buy something else. If you're interested in genuine blue sheen moonstone then have you looked at hearts of water gems?

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think all the gems are crystal opal, low quality crystal opal, some are backed with potch or are doublets.
The ring looks about 5 minutes old and the setting not particularly well made.
I’d ask for a photo from underneath. The gems could be glued in as well.
If you love it, why not, but I wouldn’t pay more than $200 for it. Under $120 would be a good buy.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I should trust my gut more. I suspected all of this so thanks to both of you for confirming. I’m still learning but wasn’t in love with setting either. Candidly, the ring I adore is on Etsy and way outside my budget (ugh). I’m going to keep searching... I’ll check out hearts of water. Thanks for the recommendation and all the input!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this 14k ring interesting and wanted some input. The reputable seller tested the middle stone as opal and the surrounding stones as rainbow moonstone (white laboradite). He has free returns and offered a good deal so I’m thinking about it. I’d love everyone’s thoughts. The side view pictures show a blue illumination on the surrounding stones like typical moonstone but they are also quite opaque like opal. Any ideas?

My thoughts on this ring would require knowing a ballpark asking price for the ring is.
I don’t feel anything I could say would be fair or applicable otherwise to you, whether it’d be a good deal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results