shape
carat
color
clarity

Input Needed- 2 carat F color vs. 2.5 carat H color

aidenlee87

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am a longtime reader of this forum, but this is my first post. I was wondering if I could get some input between these two choices which are priced similarly around $25,000.

1) 2 carat- F color, Excellent Cut, VS2, No Florescence
2) 2.5 carat- H color, Excellent Cut, VS2, No Florescence

I think I prefer the 2.5 carat because it is quite larger than 2 carats. However, I cannot afford higher than an H color because the price seems to increase enormously starting with the G color, everything else being the same ($35,000). My budget is around $25-30,000.

My girlfriend is fairly petite and has a ring size of 3. Both carat and color are important...(actually everything is haha) so I'm not sure which I should sacrifice. I also don't know if an H color would look yellow because the diamond is larger.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll need to provide us with some more information to truly compared the stones. Who graded them? Can you tell us details of the cut? If all else were equal, I'd go for the "H", personally.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on level of color sensitivity. All else being equal, you just need to find out how white she wants. I have a girlfriend who thinks her GIA F is NOT white enough, and feels like she sees color in it. Or maybe your girlfriend would be entirely happy with an H.

I think you should involve her in this process. It's a big difference, and a lot of money. Lastly, she's the one wearing it. This "ring is a surprise" thing is overrated. As a girl, I would much rather have a say in what I'm going to have to wear, theoretically forever, than not.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I would take her to look at diamonds and see how she's likes different colours. Also how the different sizes look on her hand - 3 is a very small ring size.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also, there could be some considerable differences in the cut of each stone. Cut would be my primary priority.

GIA Excellent cut grading is not enough to know if it is well cut. Give us some more information and the experts can help. Looking very quickly at Whiteflash ACA super ideal cuts (by no means the only way to get well cut stones), 2.5 H VS2 are running in the $30k range.

Also with a size 3 finger, 2 carats is going to look quite sizeable. I also agree with the above that involving your partner in this decision is a great way to make sure everyone is thrilled.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all of the advice already given. We need more information about the current options to evaluate/compare them. Cut is king so I would prioritize that above all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results