shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited jewelry. Next step?

dilly07

Rough_Rock
7872F1E3-6CE3-443F-A0FD-BA19BA41387C.jpeg
I inherited jewelery from my mom 15 years ago and have finally determined which pieces I’ll never wear.

The watch is Movado.

The rings were purchased as “push presents” when my brothers were born - 1976 and 1978 (my dad got her a diamond tennis bracelet when I was born yet somehow that wasn’t left to me :confused:).

None of these have been touched since she passed and I’m at the age now where I’m pretty set in my taste and these just don’t fall into that category. How would I go about determining selling cost and any suggestions where to sell it? I live in NYC if that helps.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’ll just need to use a jewelry appraiser and get appraisals. Appraisals are often inflated, so you might only get a quarter of the appraised price, for example. Pieces that are out of style may only get gold value. You can ask your appraiser what that would be for each piece, too.

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Etsy or ebay will get you closer to retail. Toatalky different shoppers than jewelry store shoppers. Much bigger market. You can sell yo the world! Great place to check sold prices as well. You can’t go by asking prices, check the sold prices on eBay.

Maja

Rough_Rock
Premium
@dilly07 Lovely items-have you considered taking them to an auction house? Staff there would know about the current market for these things, what is the demand, how much cash to expect, and if the wait and the consignment fees are worth it to you.
You can always check sold prices on eBay or 1stdibs to see what similar pieces sell for, as @LoveRed suggested and even throw them up on LoupeT if you have appraisals and good photos. I've sold things to "cash for gold" places, when I didn't want to do repairs or wait for $$, but you don't get much more than melt value. I've sold things on eBay, too, and deliberately priced them low to attract a buyer and sell them fast. If you have time, you can list these at market value and then wait for a buyer. Appraisals cost $$, but as @diamondseeker2006 said, an appraiser can give you a lot of information about what to expect for a sale price. Good luck!

dilly07

Rough_Rock
@Maja Problem with eBay is that I have absolutely no idea what to even call these items (other than the watch)! For all I know they’re not worth anything.

I took her diamonds to get appraised for insurance purposes but didn’t realize these pieces could’ve also been appraised. Will have to do that. I’d rather not just sell for melted cost because I already have a pile of plain gold jewelry I’ll most likely just do “cash for gold”. I could potentially list the items but then I’d need to get everything appraised since I don’t know the history/value.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, if you want to sell them, appraisals mean nothing in terms of $$$ you can expect to get though handy for getting info on the gems ie type and carat weight.
I’m an eBay guru I guess (14 years and over 1500 purchases and I buy jewellery and watches).
I’d be hesitant to use an Auction house. Their fees for the seller are around 20% plus they charge the buyer another 20% or so (yeah, bit of a rip off) and it’s who is there on the day. Maybe no one,
eBay / PayPal fees will be about 13% for you, no extra fees for buyers.
Then there’s Loop Troop, free, but you don’t necessarily get enough traffic to the site and people do expect a bargain price.
So if you go with eBay.
1. The Movado watch. Is it 14kt yellow gold? The clasp and back of watch should be stamped 14kt. Weigh it. I would assume between .50 and .75 carat diamonds. Do you have the box? Current similiar Movado 14kt hold watches are for sale around $1750 and $2,000. That’s what people are wanting, but that’s too expensive in my opinion. A recent pre owned eBay sale was $699. If you can sit and wait I’d list for $1200 or best offer and see what offers you get. I’d consider accepting any offer over $800.
2. The earrings, turquoise and seed pearls. What carat gold and carat weight. Price as melt value plus 20%. I’d sell these on Loupe Troop.
3. The sapphire diamond ring. Again, what carat gold? The ring isnt an appealing style (no offense intended) the sapphires dark and diamonds tiny. I’d be thinking around $300 on Loupe Troop or $350 on eBay if 14kt add another $50 if 18kt.
4. The jade ? Emerald, sapphire, diamond ring. More appealing. What carat gold? If natural jade, $500 on Loupe Troop $600 on eBay.

dilly07

Rough_Rock
@Bron357 Thank you for the reply. I don’t have any receipts, boxes, etc for the jewelry. They’re all stamped 14k.

I actually have someone local interested in the sapphire diamond ring but neither of us know what a fair price is so I’ve been holding onto it until I get more information!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results