shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited Brooch. L G Nitz. Uhren & Goldwaren. Any ideas?

Webwallflower

Rough_Rock
Good Morning,

My apologies ahead of time if I miss-post anywhere or in any way. I am no pro on jewelry, and looking for the thoughts of people who are.

I recently inherited a brooch from my grandmother, and have no idea from where she got it. See the photos below.

It came in this old box and it does look like the box has been built to fit it. The brooch appears to be ivory or bone, maybe? With a gold trim around it. It's about 2.5" tall and 1.5" wide.

The lid of the box has the following on it:
L. G. Nitz
Uhren & Goldwaren
LINDEN
72 Limmersirasse 72

I can find no information online on any of the names listed on the lid. Do you guys have any ideas of when or where this might be from, or ways I could try to learn more about it?

Thanks!
img_1681.jpg

img_1679_0.jpg
img_1680.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Inherited Brooch. L G Nitz. Uhren & Goldwaren. Any ide

This is a cameo carved from shell. Shell cameos are traditionally carved in Italy, as this one probably was.
Any markings on the sides or back? Can you post a photo of the clasp? This would tell us more.
The sides look a little bent. I dont think the sides are supposed to be splayed out like that. Has it been mashed or stepped on, I wonder?
The address on the box is in Germany (I just Googled it). An Italian cameo could certainly have been sold in a German jewelry shop.
This is a stunning cameo. What a treasure!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Inherited Brooch. L G Nitz. Uhren & Goldwaren. Any ide

stracci2000|1451606451|3969109 said:
This is a cameo carved from shell. Shell cameos are traditionally carved in Italy, as this one probably was.
Any markings on the sides or back? Can you post a photo of the clasp? This would tell us more.
The sides look a little bent. I dont think the sides are supposed to be splayed out like that. Has it been mashed or stepped on, I wonder?
The address on the box is in Germany (I just Googled it). An Italian cameo could certainly have been sold in a German jewelry shop.
This is a stunning cameo. What a treasure!

Yup.

The very Roman profile and the grape leaves suggest that it might be a representation of Bacchus, the Roman god of wine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results