shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited a diamond. Help with a pendant?

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,
I posted about a year ago looking for help with an engagement ring. This site was an invaluable resource during that process, and I'm hoping it can be again!
I recently inherited a .75ct transition cut diamond. I had two local jewelers look at it and both love the stone (probably F-G color, no flaws under magnification--at least vs1).

So here's the problem. I have very little money, but I don't want this to sit unused in a drawer. It is currently in a pin that is probably no longer safe to wear. My Fiance would like a pendant. Our first thought was a thin pave halo. But the local jeweler wants $3000 just for the setting! My e-ring setting was much less and has 8 pointers!
We could just get a plain setting and put it on a chain, but by the time we're done with the actually material and setting costs, plus insurance, it still won't be cheap. And it won't be exactly what we want. So are there any other options? We'd like to keep it below $800. Is that possible?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost any vendor that we recommend here can get you a setting for a lot less that 3k. It depends on how much you want to
spend. I like Brian Gavin diamonds Barbara pendant with milgrain for about 475, I think. He also has a couple halo pendants for
$950.00. You could also try ID Jewelry. A bunch of folks here have had jewelry made by them recently that they have been very
happy with. That is a place to start. A .75 stone will make a nice pendant though.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
We were originally leaning toward a halo, but now we're thinking just a plain setting to show of the stone. It's an heirloom and a nice transitional cut, so my fiance thinks we should really highlight the stone.
So that being said, are there any kinds of settings that work better than others? Ones that stay put better, don't flip over, etc?

Thanks for the ideas Luv2!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with either a milgrain bezel or a basket with filigree - gives the setting a nice antiquey look that would complement the diamond nicely. I personally wouldn't choose a halo, only because I'm with you in that I'd want the diamond to shine.

If you ask the mods to transfer you to Rocky Talky, you might have better luck getting more responses.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are still around, I have a milgrain bezel pendant coming tomorrow that I will be posting on the Show me the Bling forum, and my stone is .80. It is not exactly what I ordered (the milgrain was not done correctly), but you will be able to see any example of a setting that is ideal for an older cut stone.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
contact Brian Gavin Diamonds...they would do a great job with the pendant and I think their prices are in your range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results