shape
carat
color
clarity

information overload... please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wilco200

Rough_Rock
I knew buying an engagement diamond would be difficult, but the more i read the more overwhelmed i get. Could someone please help, or lead me in the right direction.

I''m looking for a 1 ct, ideal cut, f color, vs clarity diamond.

Basically, I need a little help on the numbers - the best proportions, angles, etc that i should be looking for.

oh, and i hope to spend $7000 or under for the stone.

thanks.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
You could read on the internet for 6 months and still not have all the information you really need to make a good decision.

I would suggest you get the help of an expert - who can examine the stone for you before you buy it, so you are assured of getting as much information as possible in making your decision.

Take a look at the appraiser's list - that should help you.

Rockdoc

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You didn't say, but if you are looking Round Brilliant, there are lots available in your price range. If you want to be totally assured of getting a truly ideal cut, look at the Hearts and Arrows. Just search on the home page of PS and click the H&A box.
There were 2 pages of diamonds in the F-VS1/2 color and clarity. All within your price range.

The PS vendors are great. Check out preview and upgrade/exchange policies. Some vendors give lifetime upgrade at full purchase price. Many of the PS vendors sell sets as well, and will ship the diamond and set direct to Dave Atlas for evaluation prior to you having to pay. If you like the reports, Dave can arrange to set the diamond and ship you the finished ring.

Good Luck in your search. It should be a fun adventure!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone else on another post is looking at around the same specs as you...1c E/F VS for around/under $7k. I posted a few suggestions over there. Run a CUT QUALITY search on Pricescope to find 'excellent' graded HCA stones. That could be a nice start. Or run an Hearts and Arrows search as PQ suggested, however I have found that when I type that in...it returns stones that have high depths and/or other specs that are not necessarily seen with H&A dimensions I have seen. So with that search, I think you end up having to do MORE research. But it's a way to start.

You could work with a co such as Nice Ice or GOG who sell unbranded H&A stones for relatively good prices. GOG has something like 15 E/F VS stones around the 1c range...I know because I looked the other day for someone else! SuperbCert and WhiteFlash sell 'super ideal' stones with tweaked minor facets for superior light return. SC has gotten MANY accolades on here very recently. There are other sites such as diamondoptics.com, abazias.com, etc etc...where there are alot of stones to sift through as well. I would suggest surfing some sites, dropping some emails, and making some calls. A vendor who will work with you and your budget and is willing to give you the info you need to make an educated decision (e.g. Sarins and H&A images etc) is worth their weight in gold. You may look a bit before you find the vendor you really want to work with. Read some previous recent posts to see who posters have been happy with.

Then as PQ suggested, send your final choice to an appraiser before purchase. Many online vendors will assist with this before you purchase the stone.

I don't agree that you can research thoroughly and not have enough info for an educated decision. Someone who researchs for 6 months is WAY more informed than the average joe consumer. When is enough enough? It is way too easy to be consumed by the search and minute details while looking. I agree wholeheartedly that an appraiser before or after purchase is necessary, we got our stone appraised immediately after purchase. But don't be intimidated. Do your reading, your learning, ask your questions, and then when you narrow it down, bring in the appraiser. It's all very fun--or should be anyway. Many people on here have recently bought stones using diamond simulations and pairing that with the hard numbers and the appraiser confirmed what they already knew, they had a winner. Go with your gut. If you're looking online, the numbers and sims are all you have until the appraiser comes in.

Oh and you can always post your stone options here and people LOVE to give their opinion
2.gif

Good luck!!

barry

Shiny_Rock
There is a great deal of valuable diamond information
and tutorials on the internet, far more comprehensive,detailed, and easy to understand than you can hope to obtain from B&M and Mall jewelers.
Go through it and ask questions.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
OK, Mara, you win again. LOL
3.gif
That Mara really knows her stuff!

I went back and refined the search. Using the PS homepage, left hand side seach engine, I clicked AGS0, and selected AGS only certs. That way you have crown and pavilion angles available to use the cut advisor. I looked for F, VS1/2, 0.95 to 1.05 carat. That search yielded 20 candidates, of which 13 are at or below your price point of $7K. Another thought for you to consider is looking a tad below the 1 carat mark. The look of 1 carat without the premium hit for size. That's a trade off to consider to get an ultimate cut in your color and clarity.

Try looking at Nice Ice, Good Old Gold, and others that Mara mentioned. White Flash and Superb Cert (www.superbcert.com) both sell branded H&A's. Check those out too. Look at the pics and the reports.

Call some companies and talk with some people. As so many posts here have stated, PS vendors are really very nice folk. I've talked with several personally. The PS vendors aren't like Maul store sales people. They don't push you to make a decision. They give you info on diamonds, answer questions/concerns, and counsel on what you can give here to get there. They will fax/email certs and reports for you to go over at your own pace.

You have a good budget to work with and the knowledge to make a good buying decision. Relax and enjoy the rest of the process. Buying your e-ring diamond is supposed to be fun. So have some fun!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results