carat
color
clarity

INFLATION-DIAMONDS, CARPETING, AND FOOD

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
Yesterday I went online to recheck colors that I am interested in for carpeting my home. I had visited the store three weeks ago and looked at one other store where I found a carpet color I liked more than the first store and purchased it. That piece of carpet will be installed Tuesday, and I made arrangements to go back to the first store to buy the rest from them. The price has been raised by almost 20% in three weeks. It comes out to be a substantial increase.

Round diamonds up to .50 have decreased in price. So, maybe now is the time to buy 1 carat studs for those looking.

Eggs-2.00 a dozen, butter 3.75, chopped meant 4.99 lb. My food bill has doubled in 1 year. How is this possible?

I feel for those with lower incomes with kids. Just my comments on inflation.

Annette

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am lucky in that I am still working and am getting a good income without having to worry about how to make ends meet; and feel for those who are struggling.

The one that is most noticeable for me is the price increase in fuel.

DK :confused2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All,
Yesterday I went online to recheck colors that I am interested in for carpeting my home. I had visited the store three weeks ago and looked at one other store where I found a carpet color I liked more than the first store and purchased it. That piece of carpet will be installed Tuesday, and I made arrangements to go back to the first store to buy the rest from them. The price has been raised by almost 20% in three weeks. It comes out to be a substantial increase.

Round diamonds up to .50 have decreased in price. So, maybe now is the time to buy 1 carat studs for those looking.

Eggs-2.00 a dozen, butter 3.75, chopped meant 4.99 lb. My food bill has doubled in 1 year. How is this possible?

I feel for those with lower incomes with kids. Just my comments on inflation.

Annette

doing my fortnightly grocery shop today
im buyung vennison mince this week becasue its cheaper than beef mince
i dont know how families are managing right now ($12 for 500g compaired to $13)
everything has gone up in the grocery shop
the small frozen chickens i buy for the cats (and humans) used to be $6 or $5 on special now they are $6.50
the fresh chicken breast i used to buy was 2 in a pack for $6.66 now its well over $8
it all adds up
between that and shortages of what we usually buy resulting in having to buy a more exspensive option
even tiny tins of tuna are up from $1.20 to $1.50

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I've noticed as well. Fortunately gas prices have decreased...not quite enough, but we are at $3.94/gal here instead of $5-something earlier this summer. I was barely scraping by for a couple years and I would be freaking out now trying to feed a family if I had not inherited money and gone back to my old job. These are trying times; I hope we can all be a little kinder to each other out in "the wild," while we weather this wave of economic struggle.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late to edit my post but I thought of something else: quality has decreased dramatically in so many things I used to consider staples. Personal example? Maidenform bras. They had a style I bought from Kohl's for the past 5-7 years that was really nice and durable. I just ordered 6 more last week. When I received them I noticed the material was different and they just didn't seem to be the same quality. Went to try on one (I've changed size) and one of the straps just completely broke free of the stitching. I didn't even bother trying on the rest. I am returning all of them. Found a better quality alternative at (of all places) Aerie, which is marketed towards a much younger demographic than me.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting. Prices across goods have also been increasing in Sydney. Large coffee used to range $4-4.50 is now generally $5.00

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is what is going to kill people in the cold parts of the US.
Current Cost of Gas
August 2022 = 124 cents per therm
July 2022 = 124 cents per therm
August 2021 = 53 cents per therm

Electric just went up 30% because the peak and night is powered by natural gas.

Natural gas could double or even triple that before winters over.
Thank you German Government for being idiots plus our own government idiots for killing all investment in natural gas supplies.

edit: those prices are correct for N IL, prices vary around the country.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They say the current inflation rate is 8.5% but a lot of things I buy are up way more than 8.5%...

I cant believe what I'm spending on food these days...on the other hand, I feel fortunate that I am
able to still afford to buy food that I'm used to buying while I know other people no longer can. :(

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Milk at Walgreens was 5.65/ gallon

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what is going to kill people in the cold parts of the US.
Current Cost of Gas
August 2022 = 124 cents per therm
July 2022 = 124 cents per therm
August 2021 = 53 cents per therm

Electric just went up 30% because the peak and night is powered by natural gas.

Natural gas could double or even triple that before winters over.
Thank you German Government for being idiots plus our own government idiots for killing all investment in natural gas supplies.

edit: those prices are correct for N IL, prices vary around the country.

Not just gas but price for electric too. It has doubled in my state.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Expecting a 40% increase for electricity this autumn/ winter in France. Same for natural gas. This is going to hurt and I'm grateful we're not struggling financially , but it's very noticeable along with increased fuel for my car and pantry staples at about plus 20%.

It's VERY noticeable

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve noticed the cost of food has increased a lot since we arrived here in October. Fuel was very expensive in the UK, so the increases here were still way less than we were paying there.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

To me one of the interesting facts about this inflation is that it is worldwide. It seems that countries have all had policies to bring this inflation about. We seem to live crisis to crisis in the world now.

I agree with Karl that for me the worst case is in Natural Gas. I remember when I didn't have much money and natural gas prices went up so I feared I wouldn't have enough money to pay the bill. It was a scary time for me. It is why I always think of the people who are just getting by. There is a program to help low income people pay their gas bill. I know--many years ago I used it. Catholic Charities also will help you. Bless Catholic Charities. They helped me.

Life changes. I am grateful for what I have today, which affords me the ability to pay my bills.

Annette

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My grocery bill has almost doubled. The bag of oranges I paid $3.99 for was $8.99 today. Crazy. @smitcompton I can't recall every paying $2 for a dozen eggs. Closer to 4 bucks here for large size . Don't get me started on dairy. :rolleyes: :(sad

cheers--Sharon

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
can't recall every paying $2 for a dozen eggs. Closer to 4 bucks here for large size . Don't get me started on dairy. :rolleyes: :(sad

Same, eggs here are about $5 a dozen on average. A few brands are a bit less, many are more. Meat is definitely higher and fresh vegetables. My electric bill was much higher than normal last month, but I attribute a lot of that to the unusually hot weather so the A/C had to work a lot harder.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

My grocery bill has almost doubled. The bag of oranges I paid $3.99 for was $8.99 today. Crazy. @smitcompton I can't recall every paying $2 for a dozen eggs. Closer to 4 bucks here for large size . Don't get me started on dairy. :rolleyes: :(sad

cheers--Sharon

ive been buying a tray of 20 number 6 eggs (thats a bit small but not too small) for about $5.50 for a few years
all of a sudden they are $8
yes dont get me started on dairy either
did my fotnightly shop on the internet this morning
$470 and i hardly brought any meat
the price of cat food is through the roof and i just buy the middle of the road supermarket wet food

got a letter from the gas bottle people for the hot water
a 90kg bottle just went up to $135 up from $124 up from $117 5 years ago when we first got it
lucky its just for the hot water and im a bit frugal with the hot water except on the coldest winter days

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the price of the pandemic plus the Russians invading Ukraine. Inflation is over 10% here in the U.K. with energy bills about to go through the roof over winter. Lots of people will not be able to pay and businesses will suffer for sure. I believe inflation is above 20% in some Eastern European countries. It is not good :((

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I am amazed at the price of eggs that some of you are paying. I have always thought of eggs as a cheap staple for healthy eating. Most of the items you all listed are basic items. If we buy discretionary goods, we tolerate price increases better, I think,

I am throwing in a Ford truck at $75.000.00. I don't drive, but you could have knocked me over when I heard that.

Annette

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
I am amazed at the price of eggs that some of you are paying. I have always thought of eggs as a cheap staple for healthy eating. Most of the items you all listed are basic items. If we buy discretionary goods, we tolerate price increases better, I think,

I am throwing in a Ford truck at $75.000.00. I don't drive, but you could have knocked me over when I heard that.

Annette

Yes, I was toying with the idea of trading my Subaru in for a 4 door truck to help with my business. That is until I saw the prices! We bought our first house in 1998 for less than a new truck today. I simply can't bring myself to do it. Nope.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
for most of my working life we have had very low single didget inlfation here but i do rememebr the 80s watching the news and inflation was higher
its just a shock
international affairs outside of our control aside, raising the miminum wage to well over $21 an hour has not helped, in fact its penalizing the people it was ment to help

we had to put up our prices at work a bakery) not just because butter and flour and cooking oil has increased but also because of the minimum wage

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in Australia most of us are big meat eaters. I bought some lamb chops the other week. Lamb used to be a cheap meat. $33 a kilo. So $16 for 5 little chops.
what’s expensive here now, if you smoke, is cigarettes.
$55 for 1 packet of 25 cigarettes!
So if you smoke say a carton a week, that’s like $29,000 a year.
What I find most astonishing is that some people actually still smoke.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here in Australia most of us are big meat eaters. I bought some lamb chops the other week. Lamb used to be a cheap meat. $33 a kilo. So $16 for 5 little chops.

the last three times ive brought lamb ve overcooked it so im too scared till i get a better oven
for just the two of use we used to eat lamb shanks as roast dinners but they got too trendy and the price is now through the roof
we grew up on roast lamb and lamb chops (still my favourite)

i brought vension steak and mice this week because its cheaper than beef
we used to only eat venison if Gary had been out hunting but the farmed stuff tastes just as good and is still very lean

and yes, thank goodness we dont smoke !

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, my sister-in-law was just complaining that her cigarettes are now $6 a pack and that she can't afford it anymore (thank goodness, I say). $55 is crazy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results