shape
carat
color
clarity

Inflated appraisal or is it accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
A few years ago I bought myself a circle pendant in platinum on a fixed platinum chain. I never had it insured even though its very good quality.

My 4 year old daughter recently ripped it off my neck damaging the clasp enough that I had to have it repaired. It occured to me that since I can not afford to replace it now and I woud be really upset if it was lost, I decided to have it appraised at the same time I had it repaired so I could add it to my insurance policy.

I want to emphasize that the place I had it appraised at is not the same place it was purchased. But the place of repair is a jewelry store, although it was appraised by a GIA gemologist.

First the stats- 16 round diamonds, E color VVS2-VS1 clarity, ideal cuts, 1.03ctw, circle pendant, set in platinum on a 16inch chain, 10.9g total including diamonds.

The appraised price came in at $6,200.

This seems horribly inflated to me. I paid $3,000 for it 4 years ago.

What do you all think? Is it close to accurate and should I just add it to my policy? I hate to pay another appraiser right now, money is tight at this point. I really like to wear this neclace almost daily. I bought it wth some money I interited from my grandfather so I feel its sort of a gift from him and it means a lot to me.

Bottom line- my daughter ripping it off my neck made me realize how easy it would have been to lose and I can afford the premium but I can''t afford to replace the neclace. I pay 1cent per hundred, so right now it would cost me $62 to insure. So for example it was really worth $4K it would cost me $40.

Advice please...

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum has skyrocketed lately though....

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I know about platinum increases, but I think there are 28g per ounce, so 10.9 g would be a bit more than 1/3 ounce. So even taking that into consideration I am trying to decide if this is inflated. The diamonds are high quality but they are small.

Platinum prices are crazy now. I wonder if it wil go down eventually or if this is the new "normal" price for platinum.

I remember when I was a kid and my stepfather freaked about gold hitting $200 an ounce and went out and bought gold bricks for investments. I wonder if he still has them??? hmmm...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That seems pretty high for most markets. Since the appraiser is a selling jeweler, here’s a test. Ask them how much THEY would charge to sell you one just like it, perhaps so you can have a mother/daughter matching set. If it’s significantly different from the appraised value, ask why.

note: Appraisal training is not part of the GIA gemology program.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Well I just went to tiffany''s website and see there is a circle with 21 diamonds, platinum, G color, VS, $3,600, 1.1 ctw.

And thats tiffanys. I''m sure it weighs less since I have a nice weight chain and mine has 16 diamonds not 21, but still, tiffany brand name is $3,600.

I''m leaning towards horriblly inflated on my appraisal and not worth the paper its printed on.

More opinions please...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Neil,
Thats a great idea! I can call them tommorow and tell them I am looking into buying a matching one for my sister/daughter or whatever strikes me at the moment and get a price quote from them.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes it IS a high value. I agree with Neil. I usually do
1.gif

Jeff Averbook, GG
Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser since 1986

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results