shape
carat
color
clarity

Inexpensive Semi-Mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if any of you lovely people could help please? I''ve got several gemstones that need setting (some calibrated, some not). Can you recommend somewhere to buy on the web please?

Many thanks

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
What do you have in mind? A particular type of setting?

I have a bunch of links because I have been looking for an inexpensive setting myself, so once you have an idea what you want I can help.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I knew!
emsmile.gif
I''ve got a small natural pink diamond pear (uncalibrated) 5.5 x 3.5mm so I''m thinking it needs a halo (possibly a double halo) but I can''t find one the right size. Then I have an oval calibrated Emerald 8 x 6 - think I may have found a mount on Ebay but then I''ve got a number of others gemstones too! I''d prefer something with diamond accents and don''t mind if it''s 14 or 18k white or yellow!

I sound like I''m not fussy don''t I? Couldn''t be further from the truth!
emcrook.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Monkey, please post your list! I''m looking for settings and ideas, too, and could really use some places that won''t break the bank.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Lol! I''m exactly the same way - my tastes seem to change from day to day. So I''ll just give you a couple.

ERM
Primestyle < - Careful with this one - don''t order loose diamonds, they have issues. But their settings are cheap and pretty nice.
dimendscaasi

That should get you started :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Woo-hoo! Places to look for future projects!
9.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 11:21:09 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 7/26/2008 11:15:03 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

Lol! I''m exactly the same way - my tastes seem to change from day to day. So I''ll just give you a couple.

ERM

Primestyle < - Careful with this one - don''t order loose diamonds, they have issues. But their settings are cheap and pretty nice.

dimendscaasi

That should get you started :)

What about their eternity bands? Do you know?

I haven''t heard anything about those, but most of their diamonds are maul quality - S1 and lower. So i wouldn''t unless they are really teeny diamonds or the setting is really closed so you can''t see the side view (where most of the inclusions will be more visible).

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Some more!

Natalia''s
Jamming Jems <--very simple if you want understated, and I know they are good because I ordered from them for my mom''s Mother''s Day ring
Topakomercantile
Sam''s Club <-- Better than you would expect!

Keep in mind - I only looked for cheap stuff, I don''t know anything about most of these sites. So order at your own risk! Lol I''d recommend looking them up on BBB.

Another suggestion - look for rings with gemstones that you like the setting of, and just pop your own stone in there at a jewelers once you recieve it. I plan to do this with my asscher, because I found the coolest setting EVER on overstock.com. See?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2008 11:37:33 PM
Some more!

Natalia's
Jamming Jems Topakomercantile
Sam's Club
Keep in mind - I only looked for cheap stuff, I don't know anything about most of these sites. So order at your own risk! Lol I'd recommend looking them up on BBB.

Another suggestion - look for rings with gemstones that you like the setting of, and just pop your own stone in there at a jewelers once you recieve it. I plan to do this with my asscher, because I found the coolest setting EVER on overstock.com. See?
That's exactly what I do!!!!
26.gif
Great minds think alike!!!

Thanks so much for all the links. I'll sit down with a cup of coffee, clutching my c/card this afternoon!

Thanks also to everybody who has suggested places to look.

leggs

Shiny_Rock
overstock.com!!! where have I been.loved that site
-also another site with good cheap mountings is alphaimports.com

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/26/2008 11:37:33 PM
Some more!

Natalia''s
Jamming Jems <--very simple if you want understated, and I know they are good because I ordered from them for my mom''s Mother''s Day ring
Topakomercantile
Sam''s Club <-- Better than you would expect!

Keep in mind - I only looked for cheap stuff, I don''t know anything about most of these sites. So order at your own risk! Lol I''d recommend looking them up on BBB.

What are the size tolerances for doing this? I have often thought about doing this, but I''m afraid that my stone won''t fit.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 7:37:58 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

What are the size tolerances for doing this? I have often thought about doing this, but I''m afraid that my stone won''t fit.
Be sure to get accurate measurements of your stone, and compared it to the measurements of the stone already in place. Carats may lie, but MMs usually don''t. The only thing you need to watch out for is depth.

If you would rather be able to use any setting without having to measure, pick out a ring with a peg head, which is easily replaceable.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 9:38:06 AM
Be sure to get accurate measurements of your stone, and compared it to the measurements of the stone already in place. Carats may lie, but MMs usually don''t. The only thing you need to watch out for is depth.

Carats don''t lie but a carat is a measure of weight and not volume. Since each gemstone''s specific gravity is different, a carat of any specific gemstone will not necessarily be the same size as a carat of any other gemstone. And gemstones are cut with considerations in mind other than just weight and light return. But yes, definitely look to the mm size rather than the carat weight for determining if it will fit a setting or not.

This is an interesting calculator to use. It''s not entirely accurate, but it''s not horribly far off.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results