shape
carat
color
clarity

Independent Jewelers or Chain Stores

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
As I''ve posted before, my BF and I have been looking at rings. I found a setting I adored at Jared but posted and was told the diamond price was almost $2000 higher than I should be paying. Anyway, today I went to a local jewleler and found THE MOST amazing setting. It was intricite, handcrafted, beautiful and seemed of MUCH higher quality than the setting at Jared. The price was also $300 less.

There is also an amazing matching wedding band. With Jared, we were concerned because they couldn''t give us a clear idea what the custom made wedding band would look like.

The jeweler told me he could get in some dimaonds and we could come in and look at them and see if we liked any. If not, he''d bring in more.

My questions: Is an independent jeweler a better way to go than a chain (like Jared)? Buying online is not an option as BF and I both want to see the ring in person. Also, with Jared we liked the full coverage plan. This jeweler offers no such guarentee but says he''ll "stand behind his work". BF has nationwide for renters insurence and we were planning on insuring the ring with them or someone else anyway. Should the lack of a warrenty be a deal breaker or will we be getting basically the same things with Nationwide (or whoever we go with) as with Jared''s plan?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Assuming that the jeweler has a good reputation, I always prefer to do business with a local vendor over a chain store.

And you do realize that the "warranty" you get with Jared is virtually useless right? If you don't get it inspected on time, every six months, it's voided.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
If I was to get it inspected every 6 months regularly, would Jared''s warrenty still be "worthless"?

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 8:00:42 PM
Author: Treasure43
If I was to get it inspected every 6 months regularly, would Jared''s warrenty still be ''worthless''?
i was wondering the same thing myself, as my friends are looking at a setting from jareds, hopefully neatfreak will explain why it is "worthless"

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Here''s my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong. I think the issue is that most of those warranties expire pretty fast, because people inevitably miss a 6-month inspection and then the warranty is voided. But let''s assume you wouldn''t let that happen. Regardless, you should have your ring insured by an insurance company, and that insurance covers the major stuff covered by the Jared warranty, like damage or loss. So now the Jared warranty is basically covering things like sizing, cleaning, rhodium plating, etc. To me, that isn''t worth the cost of the warranty nor the obligation to return every 6 months.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
So basically, getting insurance will cover things that a store warrenty would. And since we''re getting insurance anyway, we shouldn''t feel pressured to buy someplace with an in-store warranty?

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 8:53:03 PM
So basically, getting insurance will cover things that a store warrenty would. And since we''re getting insurance anyway, we shouldn''t feel pressured to buy someplace with an in-store warranty?
makes sense, how long would it take to get your moneys out of the warrenty if your having it sized/plated etc?

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
As for sizings, I''m hoping not too many of those will happen. And the plating is like $50-60 bucks our jeweler told us, so that''s no big deal. Our main concern was damage, breakage, theft or misplacement of the ring/setting and we wanted to make sure insurance covers those same things.

Jared actually reccomended we purchase additional insurance in case it was stolen or lost so I guess damage is our main concern.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 6:26:45 AM
Our main concern was damage, breakage, theft or misplacement of the ring/setting and we wanted to make sure insurance covers those same things.

Jared actually reccomended we purchase additional insurance in case it was stolen or lost so I guess damage is our main concern.

Your insurance should also cover damage. Also, I haven't had anything rhodium plated, but I have seen it discussed on this forum, and I think it usually runs closer to $30.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 8:49:54 AM
Author: RBsearch

Date: 3/18/2009 6:26:45 AM
Our main concern was damage, breakage, theft or misplacement of the ring/setting and we wanted to make sure insurance covers those same things.

Your insurance should also cover damage. Also, I haven''t had anything rhodium plated, but I have seen it discussed on this forum, and I think it usually runs closer to $30.
I''d definitely go with the independent jeweler, especially if the setting is what you truly love. My diamond is from an independent, and compared to the Jared diamonds I''ve seen, well, there''s no comparison. Cost was also better, as independent places are usually family owned and more personal - Jared folks have a quota/commission etc.

As for the warranty... ditto what others have said. Jared''s warranty covers things that would be double covered by someone like Jewelers Mutual. All you''d be losing is the sizing/rhodium, and depending on where you go, that usually only runs $30 - $40. I had my white gold rings replated twice, for $30 each.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
For most people the warranty is worthless because:

#1: they inevitably will miss an inspection, voiding it. You can't even be a day late.

#2: The additional cost in no way is worth the few little things you WILL use it for (like sizing and plating), it would be more worthwhile to just pay for it out of pocket when you do need it.

#3: Insurance covers much more than the Jared warranty does. I don't think they explained it to you well. Here is what it covers (verbatim from their website):

We will replace, free of charge*, any diamond, emerald, ruby or sapphire covered by this Guarantee if it chips, breaks, or is lost from its original setting during normal wear. In order for your Diamond and Gemstone Guarantee to remain in effect, you must have your diamond and/or gemstone inspected and have the inspection documented every 6 months by an authorized representative. In addition, all necessary repairs must be completed by our representatives.

So it WON'T cover theft, it WON'T cover loss of the entire ring, and it WON'T cover accidental damage (remember, the warranty says normal wear. If they determine it wasn't normal wear-no warranty). All it IS covering is if the prongs loosen on their own and the stone is lost or if your stone chips and they believe it was normal wear. But your insurance policy from somewhere else WILL cover the rest of this.

#4: Almost all jewelers will inspect and clean it for free even if you didn't purchase from them, so this is worthless.

I stand by my "worthless" comment.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ditto neatfreak! Go with the local jeweler and insure your ring through Chubb or Jeweler''s Mutual. You liked their work better anyway!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thritto. You will end up needing to buy insurance anyway to cover the things not covered by Jared''s policy, and the odds of Jared every paying up are small. They will claim it wasn''t normal wear so that they don''t have to pay.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 10:05:38 AM
Author: neatfreak
For most people the warranty is worthless because:

#1: they inevitably will miss an inspection, voiding it. You can''t even be a day late.

#2: The additional cost in no way is worth the few little things you WILL use it for (like sizing and plating), it would be more worthwhile to just pay for it out of pocket when you do need it.

#3: Insurance covers much more than the Jared warranty does. I don''t think they explained it to you well. Here is what it covers (verbatim from their website):

We will replace, free of charge*, any diamond, emerald, ruby or sapphire covered by this Guarantee if it chips, breaks, or is lost from its original setting during normal wear. In order for your Diamond and Gemstone Guarantee to remain in effect, you must have your diamond and/or gemstone inspected and have the inspection documented every 6 months by an authorized representative. In addition, all necessary repairs must be completed by our representatives.

So it WON''T cover theft, it WON''T cover loss of the entire ring, and it WON''T cover accidental damage (remember, the warranty says normal wear. If they determine it wasn''t normal wear-no warranty). All it IS covering is if the prongs loosen on their own and the stone is lost or if your stone chips and they believe it was normal wear. But your insurance policy from somewhere else WILL cover the rest of this.

#4: Almost all jewelers will inspect and clean it for free even if you didn''t purchase from them, so this is worthless.

I stand by my ''worthless'' comment.
#1 isn''t quite accurate. You can miss inspections. Let''s say you forget to go for a whole year, then you finally remember and get it inspected. Once you get it inspected again, the warranty is valid again for the next six months.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the replies! We''ve decided to go with an independent jeweler and have been getting quoted prices that are MUCH cheaper than Jared''s :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to see you''re going with an ind. jeweler. My guess is that you will see there is no comparison in the quality of the jewelry, too. A poorly made ring with a store warrantly isn''t worth much, in my opinion.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to see you''re going with an ind. jeweler. My guess is that you will see there is no comparison in the quality of the jewelry, too. A poorly made ring with a store warranty isn''t worth much, in my opinion.

sillygoose

Rough_Rock
Trade
Take if from me.... Jareds is also a sister store to Kay Jewelers, Ostermans, Rogers, Beldons, ect....
The warranty is basically a way for you to come in and buy another piece of jewelry from them. The sales reps also get commission off of your warranties....??

What if your stone gets a crack in it? (I seen this for years). Here is what they do if YOU forget your 6 month inspection. They will not warranty it. But, they sold you a diamond that MAY have ALREADY had an internal fraction. Again, you are completely OUT of luck.

What if it does have a crack in it, with in the first year and you took it to get inspected every six months? Here is there policy... Are you ready? They PICK your new stone. And 9 out of 10 times, the stone is a grade or two less than the original quality. I only say this because it happened more times than I would like to say.

Then WE (the pushy salesperson), feels terrible.

Just please do your homework before buying there. L

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results