shape
carat
color
clarity

independent appraisers question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluescharm

Rough_Rock
Hi!

If i buy a GIA certified diamond online, and then take it to a local jeweler to verify that it is the diamond in the certification, is this terrible? I've read all the stuff about independent appraisers, but I just want to know if the stone I'm looking at is the stone in the picture. Can't a jeweler do this for me? I guess I see the value in finding an independent one, but for my purposes is this so critical?

Rook

Shiny_Rock
This is just my oppinion, and I have stated it before and have seen other well respected people in the industry say it. Just because a jeweler is not independant, does not mean they are dishonest. Just make sure to keep the independance of them in mind when you get there oppinion. Especially if they say, no that is junk, but I have this.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Blu....

Obviously, you'd have to put up the money in order to do this.

While many sellers wouldn't hassle you about a refund, why should you even consider the slightest risk if you didn't have to?

Sure you can take it to a local jeweler. If he has the lab equipment, education, experience and credential to perform the level of work you want.

If he doesn't then his conclusions MAY not be as accurate as you like or need.

If you only want to verify its the same diamond, as the report, see ifthe seller has gemprint, and then go to a local gemprint place to get it verified.
Ask the seller to have the stone laser inscribed, done by the GIA, at which time they verify its the same stone, then have it gemprinted.

The inscription will be more expensive than some, because GIA matches the stone to the report and issues a letter of confirmation.

Perhaps this is what you're seeking, and that may be a better way to proceed, so you have the peace of mind you want.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results