shape
carat
color
clarity

independent appraisers and verification

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Yahoopitsville?

Is that the trailer scene on the Yahoo TV commercials?

You guys are just tooooooo funny.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2006 3:47:07 PM
Author: the other Jake

Date: 12/3/2006 9:24:31 AM
Author: DBM
let''s see:

Ira: i''ve got to think about the wording. OFFERED FROM DBM sounds a bit too much for me...

DiamondFan: do you think Memos/Consignment are any better? I can tell you stories, personally witnessed, of liars and frauds WITH MEMOS. The bottom line is even with memos you need to know who you''re dealing with otherwise you get screwed and that just revisits my point: who has time or energy to build strong ties and trust relationships like that with appraisers across the whole country? you can''t really know someone until you try and who can risk ''trying'' many ''dozens of appraisers in the country'' exposing oneself to tens of thousands of dollars of risk all to make a paltry profit margin. it''s just not really realistic IMO. atleast not for me or most of the ''old school'' diamond dealers in teh district.

Neil: you make excellent points and honestly, from the vibe i get from you i''d have virtually no problem (maybe just a little hesitancy but you can understand :) ) sending you a stone..but on a grand scale, looking up and searching for an appraiser in yahoopitzville and all that, honestly i think it''s a bit much. but you''re definitely right that in concept it would greatly be helpful to both myself and the customer.

Neil: You''re right but ''insurance documentation'' is just too, how you say, not-flowing :) , you don''t think?

avlis: no prob. we can''t win ''em all :) peace
How about ''''Free Insurance appraisals for all purchases are available upon request.''

That understandable to me and I am ''Joe Blow'' consumer...

Hi Jake

If a seller writes a document which is titled " Appraisal" it must meet certain standards.

The most primary of these is that the appraiser is unbiased, disinterested, and independent.

A seller of an item is certainly not a disinterested party.

If an insurance replacement appraisal is needed, and the purchaser want to accept such a report by the seller it should CLEARLY state that it is NOT an appraisal and a suggested title I''d use if I were selling is Report of the Cost to Replace this Item in My STORE"

From a legally directed standpoint, if a seller issues an appraisal, it becomes a warranty. More specifically, a Warranty of Value. That introduces into the mix some very specific liabilities to the person issuing such a document, if he is the seller. Appraisers have liabilities in issuing such documents as well, but those of us who are qualified and credentialed address these or assume them knowingly.

Rockdoc

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
DBM:

First, I am only trying to help you. No need to get tudey with me. I am not a jeweler or in the industry, I am just a consumer. I would think these issues are part and parcel of going into business and I guess you will have to figure out a way to address them. Otherwise, it seems to me, you cannot really provide customers what they want. This has never been of issue to me, I buy from people in my community and have GIA papers, so I am not looking around for third parties that are out of state to appraise what I buy. And, as in any field, I am sure there are unscrupulous people out there, I am not surprised by much these days. I think this is something you have to work out so you are able to do what you need. I was just offering my thoughts as a comsumer about how this all works. If you make it too tough on people they might just decide to go with a known quantity in the e commerce jewelery arena and skip dealing with a little guy who has not worked the kinks out yet. Just mho...

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/3/2006 4:43:19 PM
Author: diamondfan
DBM:

First, I am only trying to help you. No need to get tudey with me. I am not a jeweler or in the industry, I am just a consumer. I would think these issues are part and parcel of going into business and I guess you will have to figure out a way to address them. Otherwise, it seems to me, you cannot really provide customers what they want. This has never been of issue to me, I buy from people in my community and have GIA papers, so I am not looking around for third parties that are out of state to appraise what I buy. And, as in any field, I am sure there are unscrupulous people out there, I am not surprised by much these days. I think this is something you have to work out so you are able to do what you need. I was just offering my thoughts as a comsumer about how this all works. If you make it too tough on people they might just decide to go with a known quantity in the e commerce jewelery arena and skip dealing with a little guy who has not worked the kinks out yet. Just mho...
I''m sorry if i came off like i was attacking you, that was not my intention. i appreciate your input and your thoughts. thx

Everyone really has given a great wealth of ideas and points to chew on. i thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results