shape
carat
color
clarity

Independent Appraiser vs. GIA report - discrepancies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wwmnb

Rough_Rock
I have a diamond with a GIA certificate and a laser inscription, so I know the certificate matches the stone. The GIA cert. calls the stone an F color. When my appraiser looked at the stone, before he saw the cert, he called it an H. The GIA says VS1, he called it a VS2. Then once I showed him the cert he scoffed at the GIA saying they are too lenient. I thought the GIA was strict. Should I be worried that my stone is not really an "F"?

I also felt he appraised it a bit low. The GIA report states:

1.37 carat
F
VS1
60.2% depth
56% table
7.18x7.24x4.34
no culet
thin to slightly thick girdle

The appraiser felt that it was an ideal cut. We paid $8,750 for the stone plus $650 for the setting for a total of $9,400. He appraised the total ring at about $12,250. Does this sound low?

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
2 color grades difference sounds like a lot to me. I wouldn't want to pay for an "f" stone and really get an "h". If I were you, I'd take it somewhere else and get a second opinion. If another appraiser says it is an "h", you might consider speaking with the person that you bought it from to try and exchange it, or get your money back.

As far as the value stated in the appraisal, that sounds reasonable since it is signifantly higher than what you paid for it. Higher appraisals may make the consumer feel better about their purchase, but all it really results in is higher insurance costs.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
As smulkey notes, a high appraisal just means you will pay more in insurance. If that ideal stone and setting cost you $9700, that means that you can replace it in the future for around $10k unless of course diamond costs skyrocket out of control. So an appraisal of $12k sounds fine to me. Everyone wants to buy the stone that appraises for way more than you paid, but in the end all that does is give you a warm glow and a lighter walled due to high insurance costs. Our stone appraised for $500 more than we paid which is perfect. We know we can replace it for the same amount in the future if anything happens.

However, I'd definitely get the color checked out by a 2nd appraiser. F to H is large difference, esp since you probably paid more for the F color than the H, as F is in the colorless range. The clarity is not a deal breaker as VS1 to VS2 isn't a jaw-dropper, though it could be that the appraiser is just very strict and conservative.

Though GIA is very highly regarded, and I have not seen anything to indicate they are lenient on their grading AT ALL. Get the 2nd opinion before making any decisions.

Good luck!
1.gif

Greentree

Rough_Rock
If the appraiser just "eye-balled" the diamond and estimated its color grade, that would explain the difference. If he took it to a color grading station and carefully compared it to a set of color standard stones under a diamond light, then the difference is harder to explain.

I neglected to mention that if the appraiser graded your diamond's color while it was mounted in a ring, that surely explains what happened. One can't make an accurate evaluation unless the ring is unmounted.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/20/2003 1:31
6.gif
3 PM wwmnb wrote:

I have a diamond with a GIA certificate and a laser inscription, so I know the certificate matches the stone. The GIA cert. calls the stone an F color. When my appraiser looked at the stone, before he saw the cert, he called it an H. The GIA says VS1, he called it a VS2. Then once I showed him the cert he scoffed at the GIA saying they are too lenient. I thought the GIA was strict. Should I be worried that my stone is not really an "F"?

I also felt he appraised it a bit low. The GIA report states:

1.37 carat
F
VS1
60.2% depth
56% table
7.18x7.24x4.34
no culet
thin to slightly thick girdle

The appraiser felt that it was an ideal cut. We paid $8,750 for the stone plus $650 for the setting for a total of $9,400. He appraised the total ring at about $12,250. Does this sound low?

----------------

First off the equipment and how the appraiser arrives at his gemological and valuation conclusions are vital to know. THE MORE equipment the appraiser has, the more information he ( and you ) have in making an informed purchasing decision. Of course, the cost of having a bevy of diagnostic equipment makes the appraisal fee higher, but then you're looking to protect the investment you're making. Did the appraiser have GIA/AGS grading master comparison diamonds? Did he grade the stone loose or mounted? Does he have a colorimeter. Does he have a brilliance scope/ firescope / or Sarin Diamension software set up?

Is it IDEAL?
Just looking at the table and total depth doesn't make a diamond "ideal cut". Yet, a large number of gemologists use just those two proportions to make the "ideal" call.
There are a lot more parameters. Further, just because the numbers are "correct" doesn't make a guarantee that the stone is a great performer as far as light return is concerned. All 58 facets need to be analyzed - GIA even says this in its latest cut study article. Did the appraiser provide all the angles of the stone?

Why do you feel that he is LOW when he appraised it for almost 40% more than you paid? Is this valuation for a store as compared to the internet? Does the stone haved the H&A images?

Did the appraiser talk to you about what type of insurance you're purchasing? If not, how can he put any value on it, if the appraisal is for insurance and he doesn't know what type of policy you're going to buy, and how that company pays or bases the method of claim settlement?

Just some questions to ponder.....

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
99.3 times out of a hundred the GIA grading is going to be the correct one. The appraiser is probably being overly conservative in his grading.

wwmnb

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks everyone for your input.

He did have a set of stones to compare it to, and he did use a diamond light, but the diamond was set in the ring. The appraiser was pretty old school and had no electronic equipment. Also, when I showed him the GIA report, he got out his testing stones again and looked at it next to his F stone. He felt mine had a slight bit more color than his F, but not only was mine set, it was much larger than his sample. Doesn't that make a difference too? I asked him to give me crown and pavillion angles, but I think he forgot. And when I asked, he started talking about how the young folks today are too concerned with numbers and so on. I think I will take the ring to a more modern lab for one more appraisal - just for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results