shape
carat
color
clarity

Independent appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reds

Rough_Rock
Buying a fancy cut diamond with GIA cert, what is the advantage of getting an independent appraisal?Would definitely get one if the cert was EGL but have read GIA certs don''t change much. Please advise. Thanks

Brian_DC

Rough_Rock
I would stongly recommend getting an apraisal. Some insurance companies require an independant apraisal.

Personally, while I had faith that what I received was what I paid for, it is nice to know that someone else verifies that the diamond that you just put your money down for is actually the diamond you think it is. While I'm sure it doesn't happen often with PriceScope vendors, it happen, mistakes get made. Better safe than sorry, get the diamond appraised before you get it set. Also most apraisers will "verify" your diamond after you have it mounted.

Brian_DC

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Here's some of the reasons for getting an independent appraisal, even though a stone is already GIA certed.

1. To verify that the stone is indeed the same one as described by the report.

2. To obtain the appraiser's opinion as to whether the stone seems correctly graded.

3. To have the appraiser explain to you what all the characteristics are, and whether they are desirable or not (such as an "extremely thin" girdle, or "strong blue fluorescence", etc.)

4. To make sure the stone has not received any damage since that date of the GIA report.

5. To obtain the crown and pavilion information on the stone, which GIA does not report.

6. To get the appraiser's opinion as to the cut quality, optical symmetry and light return analysis of the stone, which GIA does not report.

7. To get photos of the diamond, which GIA does not supply.

8. To get a retail insurance value for the diamond, which GIA does not do.

9. To find out if the price you paid was a fair one.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Defintely the top nine good reasons!

There are not many reasons to skip the process of being careful in any big purchase, although I will admit being an impulsive buyer can be fun in the short run. In the long run, not knowing the facts will get you burned.

Not everyone is out to hurt consumers. But your purchase is important to you, and you won't make many during an entire lifetime that may mean so much. That's why there are a few of us here that will help you do the job right the first time.

reds

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. All of the info has been so helpful that I passed on a stone that I had questions about and now have found a much better stone for same price. I intend on making an appointment with old miners office(near me) as soon as I get stone. I know that it takes alot of the experts time to answer all of our questions but it is greatly appreciated by those of us who know little. Reds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results