shape
carat
color
clarity

Indented Natural - GIA Report Included but no clarity characteristic diagram?

IndentedNatural

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

It's my understanding that an "indented natural" inclusion is generally on the diamond girdle, however, I just received a GIA report on a diamond that I am in LOVE with that has an "indented natural" inclusion. Now, on most GIA reports that I've seen, there seems to be diagram that shows exactly where every inclusion is located. I just received the attached GIA Report and it doesn't show WHERE the indented natural is located! :confused:

Does this mean that it is a relatively minor indented natural? Or do GIA reports generally not show a diagram with indented natural inclusions?

Any advice or opinions (about the the natural inclusion or about the diamond in general) are greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

GIA 7351380689.jpeg

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Because it’s under 1 carat, it’s not a full cert just a dossier.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I believe the report for your diamond is not the highest-tier report, which includes a diagram, but one of the lesser cost options. If the stone you’re in love with is substantial, you may wish to insist that the GIA report includes diagram as a condition of the sale. Or not, your choice.

I’m attaching one of my GIA grade reports, this one for an old cut stone, which has its Indented Natural shown on the image.
EC9AA8FE-6AD2-4C9E-8B08-88F595BE8E08.jpeg

Having said that, this is the GIA’s list of grading options that are available for natural diamonds.

Her are some screen shots showing the current pricing for two different tiers of natural diamond report:
A3E4DE7A-484C-4AEB-82F8-FD76112CBFD9.png

CAD0AACB-EA8D-4219-9EFE-F8BC26EFBF3B.png

Last edited:

IndentedNatural

Rough_Rock
I believe the report for your diamond is not the highest-tier report, which includes a diagram, but one of the lesser cost options. If the stone you’re in love with is substantial, you may wish to insist that the GIA report includes diagram as a condition of the sale. Or not, your choice.

I’m attaching one of my GIA grade reports, this one for an old cut stone, which has its Indented Natural shown on the image.

Hey PreRaphaelite, thank you so much for the quick and detailed reply!

I received the report from James Allen. Here is a link to the 360 zoomed view of the diamond. I can't personally see any sign of the indented natural.

IndentedNatural

Rough_Rock
Because it’s under 1 carat, it’s not a full cert just a dossier.

Ahhh, I had been receiving GIA Reports on several other diamonds and it always included the diagram. I was looking at diamonds exactly 1 carat and up previously, though. That would explain why this one didn't include the diagram. Thanks a lot for your reply!

What are your thoughts on diamonds with indented natural inclusions?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh, I had been receiving GIA Reports on several other diamonds and it always included the diagram. I was looking at diamonds exactly 1 carat and up previously, though. That would explain why this one didn't include the diagram. Thanks a lot for your reply!

What are your thoughts on diamonds with indented natural inclusions?

It’s a VS2, so by definition, it should be eye clean. I looked at the 360 diamond image and few times over and was not able to spot the it. I think it’s safe to say it would not be noticeable in person ☺️ Another member picked up a slightly smaller princess cut from JA that was an I1, and it was surprisingly nice- I think you had to find juuuusssttt the right angle to spot the inclusion without a loupe- I wish I remembered what type it was.

IndentedNatural

Rough_Rock
It’s a VS2, so by definition, it should be eye clean. I looked at the 360 diamond image and few times over and was not able to spot the it. I think it’s safe to say it would not be noticeable in person ☺ Another member picked up a slightly smaller princess cut from JA that was an I1, and it was surprisingly nice- I think you had to find juuuusssttt the right angle to spot the inclusion without a loupe- I wish I remembered what type it was.

Reading this was really reassuring!!

Welp guys, you've convinced me that this is the diamond for me! (err rather, for my fiance)

Wish me luck, and thanks again for everyone's input!! You all are a great community. =)2=)2=)2

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Glad to help!

Just to clarify, full grading reports are indeed available on stones less than a carat. This means the seller deliberately chose a report without the clarity diagram. It does not mean that a full report wasn’t available for a less than one carat stone.

For a princess cut diamond, I imagine the Natural would show up near the girdle. However the greatest area of concern would be the four points. If I were considering this stone I would contact the seller and make sure the Indented natural does not fall there.

Good luck and enjoy your new bling!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results