shape
carat
color
clarity

Inclusions In a Colored Stone

trinabeana85

Rough_Rock
Newbie here.

I am in the market for a light pink stone, and am looking at a spinel due to their hardness and affordability. After reading the sticky on buying gemstones I am still a little confused about inclusions. It seems as though some inclusions can increase the desirability or a stone, while others can ruin it? For example, the attached photo of a pink spinel has distinct orangey inclusion. Will this be terribly noticeable once it's in a ring setting (even though the seller calls out a vc1 clarity)? Should I avoid stones with this sort of inclusion all together? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

pink_spinel_description.jpg pink_spinel.jpg

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is windowed and the inclusion is in the table, or in this case in the window. So the inclusion will most lilely be readily visible. This color in Spinel is extremely common, I'd keep looking.

Also, VS1 is a poor description of clarity for this stone. VS1 (in diamonds) is eye clean, the inclusion should only be visible at 10x.

Edit to add: Included stones are fine, if the stone has exceptional color cut etc...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you posted is too windowed to be considered IMHO regardless of the inclusion. Each stone you consider should be viewed individually with all it's unique characteristics. Color and beauty trump everything in the colored stone world except durability. For example, a surface breaking feather or fracture may be too risky if your gem is a risk to break easily. I have one spinel (native cut) with iron "stain" inclusions that do not bother me because they blend with the colors of the spinel and are not obvious to the eye even though obvious under the loupe. To me this spinel is beautiful. Others may rule it out due to it's native cut and slight inclusions.

Let us know the size you are seeking and your budget so we can help you with your search.

4_95.jpg

trinabeana85

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I thought I had the window thing down, but I guess I need to keep studying a bit. I am looking for a light pink cushion or round spinel somewhere between 6mm and 8mm and I'd like to be under $500. Is that a realistic price?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
trinabeana85|1456805440|3997708 said:
Thanks for the replies! I thought I had the window thing down, but I guess I need to keep studying a bit. I am looking for a light pink cushion or round spinel somewhere between 6mm and 8mm and I'd like to be under $500. Is that a realistic price?

I think it is realistic but it may take a bit of a search. Pink spinels are common. Light pink spinels (without much grey) in cushion and round shapes may bit more challenging to find. Do you mind some lilac or purple tones? For example this one from Gemfix is a bright pink spinel from the photos but has lilac as a secondary color. http://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-310-modified-cushion-brilliant-cut-1-55cts

pink_spinel_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results