shape
carat
color
clarity

Inclusions at 30X vs what I can see

rgm

Rough_Rock
So, I'm looking for something that appears to be about as common as a unicorn, even though nothing here seems crazy to me.

-Cushion Brilliant (not ‘shaved ice’).
-E-H (dropping my sights here to try to find a stone.)
-VVS1-SI1 (a clean SI1 should be good enough at this point.)
-Measurements: above 5.95X5.95
-L/W: 1-1.07ish
-Polish/Symm: VG+, VG+
-Cert: Either GIA or AGS
-Price: Under $8,500 (before setting)

Now, I did find this guy which fits the above:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diampics/2131279766pic.JPG

but when you look at the picture that black spot in the middle screams at me. I know 'you can't tell until you see it in person, but based on the experience of folks here, would that inclusion be visible? VS2 would lead me to say no, but that big screaming black spot leads me to say yes.

ps: To those that responded to my Asscher thread, the GF & I had a talk and based on what I've learned, I explained things to her and she relayed she just wanted something square and looked like the Legacy and thought that Asscher was the only one. So, since I'm not a huge fan of Asschers in my price range, we're moving to cushion.

rgm

Rough_Rock
slg47|1311099674|2972374 said:

That second-to-last one is an option, but the rest are a touch smaller than I'm looking for. It appears that 1.15-1.30 isn't a very popular size in these guys.

I'll write JA up, though. I forget the online folks have customer service sometimes.

Also, was there a way you got those so quick? takes me forever to filter out the Cushion Modifieds when I do a search?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rgm|1311101874|2972399 said:
slg47|1311099674|2972374 said:

That second-to-last one is an option, but the rest are a touch smaller than I'm looking for. It appears that 1.15-1.30 isn't a very popular size in these guys.

I'll write JA up, though. I forget the online folks have customer service sometimes.

Also, was there a way you got those so quick? takes me forever to filter out the Cushion Modifieds when I do a search?

some of those were modifieds but I think all were bigger than 5.95 x 5.95 mm even if the carat size was a little smaller than what you wanted. I think the one you posted was also a modified.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I just received my ring from ERD and am still on a cushion high. Here's one that I was admiring throughout the process and seems to fit your criteria: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondCushionDetails.aspx?Item=65

To answer your original question, it's hard to tell whether the inclusion will be visible. My diamond, a VS2, has a huge cloud blob under the outer edge of the table when magnified, but is eye clean in real life. The inclusion in the picture you posted could be a barely visible pinprick or it could be bigger.

rgm

Rough_Rock
Debated on if I should post a new topic for this, or not, but since I already have two threads, I'll try to keep it down so I'm not clogging the forum.

Apparently, I'll get to see this stone. I have been emailing with a local jeweler and he agreed to bring some stones in that met my requirements. He sent me the specs and prices this morning, and I just now went to cross check the prices for reasonableness. Turns out the three stones he's having me look at are 3 that are listed on JA found in a pricescope search, including the one noted above. I'm sure they're the same since they have the same measurements, & 4c's & same GIA Cert :).

2 Questions:
1. Is it realistic that the local person would have access to the stones listed on James Allen and those will be what I'm actually seeing?
2. How much of a mark-up shoudl the local jeweler be allowed compared to the JA price? The price he quoted me is between 18% and 27% more for each of the three stones. I'm willing to shell out a small premium for the service, access to retail financing, and ability to see them live, but should I bring the JA prices in with me and expect to get within a certain range of that? If so, what should that range be?

Thanks, yet again, for your help.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
You should definitely expect to pay a premium but it doesn't hurt to have competitive bids!

rgm

Rough_Rock
centralsquare|1311626151|2976533 said:
You should definitely expect to pay a premium but it doesn't hurt to have competitive bids!

So, if I don't buy them will they go back to J.A.? I'm having trouble swallowing a $1-2k markup on the exact same stone I can still query on pricescope, or is that reasonable? When he said he'd bring in something that fit my specs at no cost to me this isn't what I thought.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be very bad to allow him to pay shipping to bring in stones for you and then you go and buy the same stone from James Allen. I'd show him the online prices and ask what the best he can do is. I think you could expect to pay an additional 10% at least.

But to answer your question, my understanding is that James Allen is owned by a big diamond supplier, so many jewelers may have access to those stones.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rgm|1311626543|2976539 said:
centralsquare|1311626151|2976533 said:

So, if I don't buy them will they go back to J.A.? I'm having trouble swallowing a $1-2k markup on the exact same stone I can still query on pricescope, or is that reasonable? When he said he'd bring in something that fit my specs at no cost to me this isn't what I thought.

I think JA has some stones on their website that they do not have in-house, so other vendors would have access to those stones as well.

rgm

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1311643102|2976754 said:
I think it would be very bad to allow him to pay shipping to bring in stones for you and then you go and buy the same stone from James Allen. I'd show him the online prices and ask what the best he can do is. I think you could expect to pay an additional 10% at least.

But to answer your question, my understanding is that James Allen is owned by a big diamond supplier, so many jewelers may have access to those stones.

Thanks. I'll definitley be negotiating on price.

Doesn't JA have free shipping and a nice free return policy should they need to be sent back? If so, what has the local store done other than the same Pricescope search I have? Also, it appears in this whole switch I lose all the nice benefits of JA, as the local store doesn't have the upgrade policy, 60 day return, etc.

Knowing just how much I'm saving at JA now compared to local store, I've got to wonder how they stay in business. I'll try to negotiate, but I feel like I'm goign in with a chip on my shoulder.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not frustrated at you, I'm just frustrated that my diamond just increased 25% in cost due to my mistake of trying to buy local.

rgm

Rough_Rock
Cushion Shopping saga continues :)

OK, well had my appointment to look at the stones. Turns out I like the Cushion Modified with the 4 points better than the true brillinat. Unfortunatley, the guy at the store didn't have me in his calendar when I arrived (despite email stating we should meet at that time) and I had to wait about 30 minutes. I also got along explination justifying the $2000 markup on $6000 JA prices, essenatially talking about JA's buying power, etc, and he said he might be able to come down some, but not much. They also said that their terms are pretty standard and unmovable (returns, upgrades, etc). So, I'm almost certainly sticking with the online route where I save 20% and get tons of bonus features like price guarantees and buy-back, etc. I've also decided I'll just have to miss out on those original diamonds since people tend to agree here that it's shady for me to jump on them through the cheaper venue after seeing them at the store.

Anyway, all that gets me back to the search. Below are links to the two I'm looking at right now that I can find that fit my specs in the OP. Any thoughts? Niether blows me away as extra sparkly and nice based on the photos, but I'm suspecting its just the lighting (the ones I saw yesterday looked way better in person than online).

Thanks for your continued help.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1355041.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1322469.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results