shape
carat
color
clarity

Inclusion near/on the girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
Just a quick question, if there is a feather along the girdle of a VS1 GIA graded diamond, is this okay or something I should probably avoid.

Ayers

Rough_Rock
VS1 should mean that you shouldnt be able to see it with the naked eye. Additionally if that''s the only inclusion, I think most jewelers can hide that behind the prongs.

As far as whether it weakens the diamond being at the girdle or some other red flag, I have no idea, but I wouldn''t expect it to.

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ayers, I am not worried about seeing it, but I am worried about the durability issue, does anyone know if this would affect the stone that way.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
If it''s graded VS1, then it''s probably not a durability issue. That being said, I''d want to know how much of a margin there is between the feather and the edge. Can you ask the vendor?

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
Thanks coatimundi, so I guess it could possibly been an issue then depending on how close it is, I will definitely find out. Thanks again.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Coati gives good advice. In an AGS or GIA VS1 I doubt it will be any sort of issue. Large/significant feathers can cause a diamond to drop to I1 clarity or lower if they threaten durability. Examination by a knowledgable expert can provide a definite answer.

The notion that a feather is a ticking time bomb sometimes goes around (possibly perpetuated by those trying to convert buyers to higher clarities
2.gif
). Just remember that when the diamond was sawed, bruted and polished it underwent enormous pressure. Diamonds are subject to enough friction that they turn white-hot on the polishing wheel. Normal wear will not even come close to what they have already been through.

With that said, every diamond has natural cleavage planes. A knock the wrong way, especially at the girdle, can cause any diamond to chip or incur damage, whether there's a feather there or not. This is why having a good insurance policy is important for even the most flawless diamond.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I would put a VS1 feather in the 99.7% range of probability of not being a problem. Give or take.

The 0.03% possibility of being a problem is easily remedied by a good diamond setter and insurance.

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys, this makes me feel much better!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/1/2009 4:19:53 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
I would put a VS1 feather in the 99.7% range of probability of not being a problem. Give or take.
I don''t know Rich...my notes say 99.682.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results