shape
carat
color
clarity

inclusion (chip?) on this princess cut

vedder50

Rough_Rock
One of the jewellers I've gone to advised to be quite wary of inclusions on a princess cut near the corners. This stone is a GIA graded VS2, and I've looked at it in person. Even with the loupe I couldn't pick up the inclusion on the corner (I'm not very experienced though). This is the first report on a stone I've considered that has listed a 'chip', and I'm not even sure which inclusion it's calling a chip based on the plot.

Bottom line, would you have any reservations on this stone based on the location / nature of the plotted inclusions?

untitled_23.png

Thanks,

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A chip that reaches the corner of a princess cut?

No way!
I'd pass.

vedder50

Rough_Rock
I wasn't sure if the clarity grade impacted how important it is? For example, I assume if this was a SI2, one might have more concern that the 'chip' was more significant. Or is the general consensus that regardless of clarity grade, an inclusion of this nature is to be avoided?

Really like the optics of this stone, but just want to understand if this is a no-no.

I appreciate any feedback to help with my decision.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
vedder50|1402901506|3694010 said:
I wasn't sure if the clarity grade impacted how important it is? For example, I assume if this was a SI2, one might have more concern that the 'chip' was more significant.

Vedder50,

Short answer - yes... and no. You are correct that the 'chip' will be reflected in the grading of the diamond, and by-and-large I would not be concerned about durability of a GIA VS2 stone. The processes of mining, bruting, and polishing the stone are very intense and any part of the diamond that has made it through all of that will likely make it through any day-to-day experiences it will have with the wearer.

Having said that any diamond in any clarity grade can chip or break if hit in just the right (wrong) way - if you move forward with the purchase get insurance asap (as I would advise with any diamond purchase) and the peace of mind that comes with it...you know... just in case.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
vedder50|1402893082|3693970 said:
Bottom line, would you have any reservations on this stone based on the location / nature of the plotted inclusions?

untitled_23.png

Thanks,

Yes, you should have reservations. Such a feature could pose a higher risk for damage in the future.

This type of damage on a princess is probably the result of impact at the point that flaked off a very small sliver of material running along the bezel facet junction.

If there is a rough area at the point, it will be risky setting it without doing further damage. And once set, there is added risk that an impact on the prong will transfer through and extend the damage.

I would consider asking the vendor to have the diamond repaired even if you have to share in that cost. (The weight loss could be surprisingly minimal). That way you will have peace of mind.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't like anything going on near the corners of a princess cut.
The are very vulnerable to damage.
The greatest chance of damage is when setting but there is a chance of damage if a prong gets hit.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1402937831|3694265 said:
The greatest chance of damage is when setting but there is a chance of damage if a prong gets hit.
Karl,
On a related note but somewhat of a thread jack - what is your opinion of putting chamfered corners on princess cuts?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1402943218|3694332 said:
Karl_K|1402937831|3694265 said:
Karl,
On a related note but somewhat of a thread jack - what is your opinion of putting chamfered corners on princess cuts?
I am all for it.
For those that don't know chamfering is putting small flats on the corner of a princess cut to make the corners stronger because they do not come to a sharp point.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results