shape
carat
color
clarity

Included Mahenge - Would it cause durability issue?

happybear

Shiny_Rock
I'm currently waiting for this spinel from AJS http://www.ajsgem.com/certificate/SPI5405RK

I contacted Ron about the stone to ask about its appearance and he said at 6" viewing distance, the inclusion is not obvious due to its glow and color. I'm not expecting a perfect stone considering I paid only a fraction of what an eye clean Mahenge could fetch at the moment.

What I forgot to ask is will there be any durability issue due to the inclusion? :errrr:

I am still waiting for the parcel to arrive so I have yet to see it with my own eyes and can't post more photos. While I eagerly wait for the postman, I hope some of the experts here can chime in.

Thanks in advance! :wavey:

mahenge.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to say without a side view or seeing it in person but it's probably best or rather, safest, as a pendant stone. There are several good sized inclusions in at least 3 sections of the stone, with the one at the bottom left being one that would make me a little nervous in a ring because it is close to the edge where a prong is.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, thanks for chiming in. I'll post more photos once this arrives. I was drawn to the color (& affordability) that I forgot the issue of durability. If it turns out to be a problem but I still love the color, I may keep it just to look at it.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
boy..that color is tops!!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Not being able to see the stone in person makes it impossible to give you a definitive answer but as a general rule the faceting process imparts a lot of stresses on the stone from every direction. If the inclusions do not cause the stone to fly apart during faceting the inclusions most likely will not be a problem.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
amethystguy|1315438842|3012119 said:
boy..that color is tops!!

Thanks, amethystguy! I'm honored to hear that from you. :)) I kept going back to look at it and afer a week of lusting, I just had to have it.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
colormyworld|1315444798|3012204 said:
Not being able to see the stone in person makes it impossible to give you a definitive answer but as a general rule the faceting process imparts a lot of stresses on the stone from every direction. If the inclusions do not cause the stone to fly apart during faceting the inclusions most likely will not be a problem.

colormyworld, thanks for your input. I should have the stone some time next week, so I will post more photos then.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
No ultrasonics and no steam cleaning for definite.

Otherwise you really need the stone in hand to be sure - are the fractures surface reaching for example? As CMW says, if it's survived the faceting process then it's probably fine!

Nice colour!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1315484137|3012580 said:

Otherwise you really need the stone in hand to be sure - are the fractures surface reaching for example? As CMW says, if it's survived the faceting process then it's probably fine!

Nice colour!

Just a proviso to this - if additional pressure is put on the part that's included when folding over a prong during the setting process, it could cause some damage. Best thing is to let a benchman have a look and give you his/her opinion.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
The same could be said for any faceted stone. Inclusion or no inclusion.

happybear

Shiny_Rock

Thanks, Pandora!
Can I soak it in hot water or should I stick to warm water at the most? I usually soak my diamond ring in hot water with a drop of detergent before using a soft brush to clean.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think hand hot is fine - or at least that is as hot as I go with any of mine.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with LD on this - an inexperienced benchperson may further stress this stone during the setting process whereas a "clean" stone probably will not be affected. Also, depending on the size (depth) of the inclusions, it will take less tension or stress to chip that corner off, especially if it breaks the surface. Definitely not a stone for steam or US cleaning. :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
happybear|1315523079|3013050 said:

Thanks, Pandora!
Can I soak it in hot water or should I stick to warm water at the most? I usually soak my diamond ring in hot water with a drop of detergent before using a soft brush to clean.

Apart from diamonds, I wouldn't soak anything. It will get just as clean if you use a baby's toothbrush, warm/tepid water and some washing up liquid. Rinse under a slow running tap briefly then dry with a lint free cloth.

Some gems really don't do well with too much exposure to water (Tanzanite springs to mind).

happybear

Shiny_Rock
LD, thanks for that pointer. I didn't know only diamond is suitable for soaking! I thought hardy stones like sapphire and spinel can be treated in a similar manner.

I received the spinel today and I must say, the color is lovely!!
However, the inclusion is pretty serious. So I may just keep this stone as it is to appreciate its color and won't risk setting it.
Now, here are the pictures. Please let me know what you think!

I illuminated the stone using a pentorch so that the inclusion is more visible. I'll post those photos in my next post as I can't seem to post any more in this.

mahenge on finger.JPG

Mahenge side view.JPG

mahenge bottom view.JPG

mahenge pavilion view.JPG

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Here are the photos with incandescent torch light shining on it.

mahenge side illuminated.JPG

mahenge top view illuminated.JPG

mahenge bottom view illuminated.JPG

mahenge pavilion illuminated.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really difficult to see which inclusion you're referring to but if it's the one that appears to run from one arrow to the other on the photo below then I'd want that checked out thoroughly because it could be a crack - although it may not be. It's so difficult to see without much closer up photos.

Mahenge inclusion.jpg

happybear

Shiny_Rock
It's difficult to get a close-up photo with my DSLR. I find it easier using my point & shoot camera banded with my loupe. I need to get batteries for my p&s first though. So will try to do that later and post more close-up photos thereafter.

Thanks, LD for pointing out that it may be a crack. :errrr:
I'm now torn between returning & use the money for something else or just keep the stone unset forever....

MieleMelograno

Rough_Rock
Hi Happybear,
I have the experience of setting, evaluating stones that we've imported rough, and then after we've had them faceted. Your stone looks like the "feather" inclusions do breech the surface on the pavilion and possibly in the table of the crown both far enough from the edge where it would be set. That should not pose a problem in setting. However, if you impact the stone on that side it will increase the risk of further damage. If you have it set, consider a bezel or put it in a pendant rather than a ring. It has a beautiful color!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happybear,
I am sorry that the inclusions are more suspect that you originally thought. Do you have a good loupe? Can you see if it breaks the surface? The length and location of the inclusions make me leery of having it set and would rather save myself the agonizing decision instead by sending it back.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
I have taken some close-up photos but unfortunately left my cable & card reader at my sister's place, so I'm unable to upload the photos into my pc to share.
But I've decided to return the stone. The color is gorgeous, but it will be such a waste if I can't set it anyway I want. Furthermore, I loupe it again yesterday and noticed there is an indentation at the pavilion. I'm not sure if it is a chip or a natural, but this has sealed my decision to just return the stone.
Chrono, LD, MieleM, Pandora, cmw & amethystguy: thank you for chiming in!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, I'm so sorry this stone did not meet your expectations. ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results