shape
carat
color
clarity

In which “sweet” was not an epithet: Edwardian rose gold opal studs, or, how to disguise Earring Ennui as minimalism.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
14D0CCB3-EDEA-4D94-83CE-F147AC00EB70.jpeg
My earlobes are a disappointment. Far from the robust and bonny regions they were in my youth, they now meekly demur from duty, leaving me with troops of beautiful earrings forlornly waiting for their moment in the sun. They will have to wait further.
I got a new recruit.

FFE5E185-C154-438F-B664-353D2A460849.jpeg

These nearly-microscopic opals, with teeny prongs and adorably plump crown bases, are just big and colorful enough to disguise my apathy. Instead of looking like a crazy woman who is so distracted and rattled that she forgot her earrings (which I am) these look deliberately minimalist, and the shrugged forgetfulness and frizzy hair that is my Covid lifestyle now looks like a fashion decision.

2355681F-AF38-437E-8BB7-D7D2D40D828E.jpeg

Of course, the color goes with everything. Grey, teal, chambray, ivory, ballet pink, sage, periwinkle, apricot, olive drab, black, navy (omg with navy they are amazing), and aqua. I don’t really wear lavender but if I did... yep, they work.
0247A09D-125B-4CA6-94E8-62808ACB7843.jpeg

I might shorten them slightly as they were meant for normal lobes instead of draft-dodgers like mine, but in the meantime they are a wonderful relief. In the dictionary under the word “effortless” there should be a snapshot of these. In fact, within 10 seconds of putting them on, I’ve forgotten I’m wearing them.
57DCBE64-6A96-4E48-B17F-9007EBE1FF4F.jpeg

And you can call them “sweet” all you want!
D23AC430-961B-4A4E-A4B7-FA91DA5787F5.jpeg

12k rose gold, 3.5mm cabs, and here’s an ear shot for scale. Tiny! But that color!
2804E6F9-C5EF-4AC1-91A9-81461100E097.jpeg

Edited to add a quick and cheeky family portrait.
*some cousins not shown
ACF8BFD5-40FA-4044-B644-39CD19352583.jpeg

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@PreRaphaelite I always enjoy reading your witty, well-written posts! (Is there such a thing as a jewelry columnist? You’d be great ;-)

They look perfect on you IMHO. Like “Goldilocks” earrings—not too small, not too big, not too much, not too little, just right.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite I always enjoy reading your witty, well-written posts! (Is there such a thing as a jewelry columnist? You’d be great ;-)

They look perfect on you IMHO. Like “Goldilocks” earrings—not too small, not too big, not too much, not too little, just right.

Thanks so much, that’s very kind of you to say! I have no idea if there is such a thing but I wish I could be one. Remember the J. Peterman catalog? Like that, but for jewellery sales. Yep.

In the meantime I’m wondering how 2020’s nonstop endurance testing (and its resulting bone-deep fatigue) has affected others in the sense of bling. Does the classicism of the 20th century feel like something we rely upon for style, or is it something we have jettisoned? Do antique styles feel like a touchstone of comfort now, or stodgy and stale? I know how *I* feel about it, but the sales landscape can’t remain unaffected by COVID psychology. How will styles change?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, that’s very kind of you to say! I have no idea if there is such a thing but I wish I could be one. Remember the J. Peterman catalog? Like that, but for jewellery sales. Yep.

In the meantime I’m wondering how 2020’s nonstop endurance testing (and its resulting bone-deep fatigue) has affected others in the sense of bling. Does the classicism of the 20th century feel like something we rely upon for style, or is it something we have jettisoned? Do antique styles feel like a touchstone of comfort now, or stodgy and stale? I know how *I* feel about it, but the sales landscape can’t remain unaffected by COVID psychology. How will styles change?
I used to enjoy reading the J. Peterman catalog, too!
The little opals are precious, and timeless!
I think classic styles are going to see a resurgence.
I, personally, have recently been embracing stud earrings. This is because of the frequency with which I have to don a mask and remove it.
For my job, I need to visit 4-6 retail locations per day. The mask goes on and off all day.
Dangles and hoops are not compatible with the mask.
So studs are my new focus.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I used to enjoy reading the J. Peterman catalog, too!
The little opals are precious, and timeless!
I think classic styles are going to see a resurgence.
I, personally, have recently been embracing stud earrings. This is because of the frequency with which I have to don a mask and remove it.
For my job, I need to visit 4-6 retail locations per day. The mask goes on and off all day.
Dangles and hoops are not compatible with the mask.
So studs are my new focus.

This! That’s what I mean! Exactly. Further, do you feel a sense of relief when you think of minimalist bling, or does it not capture your imagination as much? Would you choose a good cut, in a small size, or a PHENOMENAL a cut when going streamlined?

The Covidear, a tiny perfect star of laser beam light in an ideal cut.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This! That’s what I mean! Exactly. Further, do you feel a sense of relief when you think of minimalist bling, or does it not capture your imagination as much? Would you choose a good cut, in a small size, or a PHENOMENAL a cut when going streamlined?

The Covidear, a tiny perfect star of laser beam light in an ideal cut.

Well, now that we are discussing it, I do prefer some minimalist pieces. Less is more.

Give me one bold cuff bracelet. I dislike chain and link style bracelets--too fussy.

One necklace, in any style. A solitaire diamond, or a long strand of lapis beads. I love both looks. But no neck mess of tiny chains!

Rings? Now that's a different story. I like lots on both hands, like a fortune teller.

collier

Shiny_Rock
This are stunning earrings! I love the color pop and the lovely setting! You have such a great eye for earrings. I think you should do a whole spread on your earrings, both current collection and de-acquisitioned pieces. I was so sorely tempted by the pearl and diamond crescent ones and was too late on the pink studs. Maybe I should just get you to pick out things for me and narrate them. :lol:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This are stunning earrings! I love the color pop and the lovely setting! You have such a great eye for earrings. I think you should do a whole spread on your earrings, both current collection and de-acquisitioned pieces. I was so sorely tempted by the pearl and diamond crescent ones and was too late on the pink studs. Maybe I should just get you to pick out things for me and narrate them. :lol:

Like a female Morgan Freeman?
lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those earings are serously pretty

sweet is permanently banned from my vocabulary

Im also a bit scared wearing smaller studs because many years ago when i first got my ears pierced they got terribly infected and it was impossible to get the earing out till after the antibiotics had kicked in

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Very glow-y and feminine! They also look like they'd be really practical with mask-wearing.

(Psk, psk, ain't noth'n wrong with your earlobes!)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty and delicate, I love all the pastel colors!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These earrings are magical on you @PreRaphaelite and your lobes are luscious IMO. Wear your ethereal earrings in good health and joy.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the earrings! Love your witty prose! I, too, have gone minimalist with earrings. I have a pair of diamond studs (.8 tcw) and a pair of pearl studs (7mm). That's all I wear and it works for me. I might purchase a few pairs of small colored stone studs, but that's as far as I'll go.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Bahahahahahaaaaaa :lol:
I'm reading all of your posts as narrated by Morgan Freeman, from now on.
Like a female Morgan Freeman?
lol
P.S. I love those opals, too.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I should start writing with his voice in my head - couldn’t hurt! Lol

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I will kindly tell you to, "shut up!"
as I'm 27 & your ears are much more beautiful than mine! As a fellow freckle sister I am jealous that yours have migrated to your dainty adorable ears! They fit your beautiful unkempt selkie hair perfectly & I hope you never change!

Your taste for well made antique jewelry is so refreshing & your style is so luxurious without being ostentatious. Without embarrassment of repeating myself, please never change ♥️

Those opals are the perfect size for a bit of unabashed color! They look like little candies that one might pick from those paper strips!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Oooh candy! Yes please!

Thanks so much for your kind words. Makes me blush!

I’m just loving the opals. Possibly considering replacing the pearl halo around Marjorie with opal beads, or even - gasp - another chatoyant semiprecious (what would you say to labradorite?) half-drill’d. Or, less shimmery but also soulful would be moss aquamarine. I would love my little collection to be more coordinated.

What do you think? Maybe I should start a collection of this color, and layer it up. How about pastel spinels? Please advise!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
These are just beautiful on you @PreRaphaelite you are the real beauty inside and out and these gorgeous studs are you all day long! I love the brightness and pastel flashes.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PreRaphaelite, you are my PS hero. The opal earrings are lovely and positively glowing. And your ever evolving collection is a joy to watch. Thanks for the many photos to brighten our day.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
@PreRaphaelite I am reading and re-reading this thread to ragged shreds it’s just so sparkly and brilliant!
As are those wee yet mighty studs.
They are just everything!!
❤️

jjdear

Rough_Rock
These are so pretty! I love opals so much and they look lovely on you

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for your supportive replies and for encouraging me to pursue jewels that might otherwise be uncool. Pricescope has been such a safe haven for my taste! You PS friends make me feel really at home. Thank you!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewels that might otherwise be uncool.

I am fully embracing uncool jewels.
Cameos, pearl studs, long chains, spoon rings and antique ladies pocket watches. Some stones have fallen off the popular radar, and that makes me love them more. Lapis, bloodstone, and agate are also among my current favs.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am fully embracing uncool jewels.
Cameos, pearl studs, long chains, spoon rings and antique ladies pocket watches. Some stones have fallen off the popular radar, and that makes me love them more. Lapis, bloodstone, and agate are also among my current favs.
Likewise, I have recently become obsessed with cats eye chrysoberyl. So many eras!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results