shape
carat
color
clarity

In what world is this a "Paraiba"?

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
GIATR0065_4_ef1be76b-204b-4169-897b-eb983337cb56_2048x2048.jpg

For only, $5,800, you can enjoy this under 2 CT, windowed, gray, included, pale stone from Mozambique!

I seem to recall GIA identifies tourmalines as Paraiba through their Origin Reports solely based on chemical analyses; color values and clarity treatments do not enter into their determination.

I seem to recall GIA identifies tourmalines as Paraiba through their Origin Reports solely based on chemical analyses; color values and clarity treatments do not enter into their determination.

That seems to be the way the GIA is construing the LMHC's guidelines for paraiba. But it's definitely a lax interpretation, IMO.

"A paraiba tourmaline is a blue (electric blue, neon blue, violet blue), bluish green to greenish blue, green (or yellowish green) tourmaline, of medium-light to high saturation and tone (relative to this variety of tourmaline), mainly due to the presence of copper (Cu) and manganese (Mn) of whatever geographical origin."

This gem is some version of a greenish-blue, I suppose, but I wouldn't say it is even "medium-light" tone or saturation. It's nearly colorless. And it's certainly not what anyone would think of when they hear the term "paraiba." This guy must have something on these GIA folks. lol

Also, I'm seeing a price of $8k?!

That seems to be the way the GIA is construing the LMHC's guidelines for paraiba. But it's definitely a lax interpretation, IMO.

"A paraiba tourmaline is a blue (electric blue, neon blue, violet blue), bluish green to greenish blue, green (or yellowish green) tourmaline, of medium-light to high saturation and tone (relative to this variety of tourmaline), mainly due to the presence of copper (Cu) and manganese (Mn) of whatever geographical origin."

This gem is some version of a greenish-blue, I suppose, but I wouldn't say it is even "medium-light" tone or saturation. It's nearly colorless. And it's certainly not what anyone would think of when they hear the term "paraiba." This guy must have something on these GIA folks. lol

Also, I'm seeing a price of $8k?!

That's Canadian dollars, though...Only 5,800 USD

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics