shape
carat
color
clarity

In the news - £30k payout for diamond that fell out of ring

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been watching this case with interest. It seems the customer's insurer swerved making a payout and the jeweller ended up paying for the lost diamond.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it would never of occurred to me to sue the Jeweler.

Reactions: Kya

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh. The judge ruled that the white gold was not satisfactory quality??? Um, they chose the setting! Maybe an appraiser said there were structural flaws in the setting. That is the only conceivable explanation I can think of for the judge to rule the jeweler as liable. Another good case for bezels and 6 prongs or insurance!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That prong had literally snapped off - the picture was shown in the article I read. That must have been a problem in the metal. Bend yes, but it snapped clean.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
In general, does insurance seem to give a hard time about payout?

I never had my stuff insured but recently a cat burglar stole my great aunt’s precious ring from her apartment window sill (she had taken it off to wash the dishes ) and she was left with nothing.

So now I pay a lot to have my jewelry insured, and for some reason this article got me concerned that if something like this happens to me they will find a way not to pay out and insurance will be pointless? Wondering if I should cancel my insurance policies...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would bezel-set every thing if I could, after losing the centre Imperial Jade in a double diamond halo ring that my mum loaned to me during one drunken work over 25 years ago!

Searched everywhere, including the contents of the vacuum cleaner in the middle of the night when I woke up and realised what had happened!

The jade was a long marquise cabochon held in place by 4 prongs. One of the prongs was bent, probably got caught in some fabric.

I seldom wear my mum's cabochon Ruby ring as the centre stone is set in 4 prongs, and worry about losing it.

DK :))

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I would bezel-set every thing if I could, after losing the centre Imperial Jade in a double diamond halo ring that my mum loaned to me during one drunken work over 25 years ago!

Searched everywhere, including the contents of the vacuum cleaner in the middle of the night when I woke up and realised what had happened!

The jade was a long marquise cabochon held in place by 4 prongs. One of the prongs was bent, probably got caught in some fabric.

I seldom wear my mum's cabochon Ruby ring as the centre stone is set in 4 prongs, and worry about losing it.

Add some prongs if possible.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add some prongs if possible.

Not have prongs or claws in rings or bracelets, full stop!

Only in low impact pieces such as earrings and pendants.

KR,

D

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In general, does insurance seem to give a hard time about payout?

I never had my stuff insured but recently a cat burglar stole my great aunt’s precious ring from her apartment window sill (she had taken it off to wash the dishes ) and she was left with nothing.

So now I pay a lot to have my jewelry insured, and for some reason this article got me concerned that if something like this happens to me they will find a way not to pay out and insurance will be pointless? Wondering if I should cancel my insurance policies...

I know what you mean - it doesn't exactly inspire confidence! But I suspect that the sticking point for the insurer was that the prongs shouldn't fail on a newly made ring which is only 6 weeks old. You would think that in this instance the insurer would pay out, and then counter claim against the jeweller if they thought the jeweller was at fault.

I'm in the UK and it seems that over here, you get what you pay for in terms of insurance, ie the cheaper policies may contain more loopholes and may be less comprehensive than the more expensive ones.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168

such pity to loose the imperial jade cabochon. you must have been frantic. i know i would be. what's worse than losing a piece of jewelry is losing a borrowed piece of jewelry.

although, some believe that the protective qualities of jade, could have been at play. better you be safe and sound ...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168

such pity to loose the imperial jade cabochon. you must have been frantic. i know i would be. what's worse than losing a piece of jewelry is losing a borrowed piece of jewelry.

although, some believe that the protective qualities of jade, could have been at play. better you be safe and sound ...

That's what my mum said at the time, the jade took a hit of bad luck for me (we are HK Chinese).

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
That's what my mum said at the time, the jade took a hit of bad luck for me (we are HK Chinese).

mr. big facet facets was born in hk. he left to go to boarding school in canada when he was 15=)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mr. big facet facets was born in hk. he left to go to boarding school in canada when he was 15=)2

I was 14 when I was sent to UK for a better education. My mum probably regretted it a bit when I refused to go and live with them in Canada when my folks immigrated there in 1987 ahead of 1997's handover back to China.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results