shape
carat
color
clarity

In Search of Setting by "Gem East"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
After my struggle w/ dps.org, I found out that the setting I like is made by a company out of Washington called Gem East (kinda funny since they are on the west...
wacko.gif
)

Unfortunately the people at Gem East told me that they are wholesale only, so they can't really help me out. Does anyone on this board know someone who carries Gem East, or can figure out how to get them to help me??

They were very nice, and sent me a pic w/ 3 similar settings. The one I liked the most is the top left. But I would really like to see more images from other angles before I make a decision.

And BTW, I want it in Platinum, and my diamond is 1.02ct. They told me all settings shown will accomodate that size.

Let me know!!

Stu

page0001.jpg

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
Unfortunately the people at Gem East told me that they are wholesale only, so they can't really help me out. Does anyone on this board know someone who carries Gem East, or can figure out how to get them to help me??
----------------

Would they not tell you? Seems to me they would know whether they had any customers in your area. Most wholesalers will at least do that much.

Nice settings, by the way.

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
They told me one, but they are closed for 2 weeks. Since I am in Singapore, local is not helpful. Everything will be long distance.

I wrote back to ask about more dealers as soon as I woke up (its only 8:20AM Thurs morning)...but they are already closed for the day.

Stu

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
One more question. If i decide to have my ring custom designed, what are prices for platinum looking like these days?

Stu

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Have you thought about setting your stone in Singapore?
I know a great place. They have an in-house jewellery designer and he spent about 2 hours discussing the setting with me. The cost is about S$600 (approximately USD340) for a platinum setting, and the best part is: you can choose the design you like best!

wavey.gif

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
do tell, do tell...either PM me or post. I didn't feel comfortable picking someone off the street, but with a recomendation, I would feel better.

Stu
appl.gif

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Sure! It's:

Yuen Tung
Block 1093 Lower Delta Road
#07-09
Tel: 62702278

Look for a guy there called Whye Hoe - he's a GG, he's young, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. He's the son of the owner, Mr Lui. Tell him that you were recommended to him by the couple who bought their diamond over the internet!

To be honest, I was recommended this place by another GG, to whom I brought my diamond for appraisal - it's not a contact of my own. But after spending a while chatting with Whye Hoe, I felt really comfortable that he knew what he was doing, and best of all, he let me take my stone home after he measured it - he said that he could set it on the spot (he has a workshop on site) when we brought it back in 2 weeks.

But a little warning though - the shop isn't in a shopping centre or retail mall...it's actually in an industrial building, and it doesn't even look like a shop, 'cos the door is locked, and you have to ring a doorbell to be let in. When we were there, it seemed like everyone else was an old customer/friend. But their finished works looked really good, and Whye Hoe spent a lot of time talking with us about the setting, offering advice on what would work and what wouldn't etc.

Imagine - a custom made platinum setting for $600! Quite something eh?
tongue.gif

Have fun, cowboystu!
wavey.gif

Lizzie

Rough_Rock
Hi! Was the setting you did locally to your satisfaction?

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
It was pretty good...It is actually getting set today or tomorrow. RockDoc informed me that in need about $50 of finishing work, but other than that I think I am satisfied. I'll let you know for sure when I get the finished product!

Keep on Keepin' on,
Stu

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results