shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of a Montana sapphire - question about extinction

Aphrone

Rough_Rock
Hello experts - I am a looong-time lurker and a first-time poster. I have finally saved up my pennies to buy a stone for a pre-existing setting, and I'm leaning toward a Montana sapphire. The stone needs to be a 7 mm round (plus or minus .1-.2 mm) and I like silvery/denim blues and green-blues. My budget is $1300 tops, and I'd love to spend less.

I'm thinking I will max out the credit card and buy 2-3 stones from one vendor so that I can see the top candidates in person. As I narrow down the short list, I'm wondering if this stone has some extinction, or if my novice eyes are fooling me.

Of course, if anyone has any other stone suggestions, I am all ears! I am looking at a few other Montana sapphires at Gemfix too.

Here is the setting, by the way - it's currently occupied by an aquamarine. I actually like the color of the aquamarine but the cutting (Portuguese?) creates a kind of vortex effect with a "hole" at the bottom and, the more I time I spend on Pricescope, the more it bugs me.

sapphire_montana_378_-__975_0.jpg

ring__top_view_-_no_macro.jpg

ring_profile__on.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: In search of a Montana sapphire - question about extinct

I do not consider that extinction since it is in small "spots" throughout the stone, not a huge black spot / area. What you are seeing is scintillation contrast. I think it looks dark or obvious because the stone is light coloured, so the contrast stands out more strongly.

What you are seeing with the aquamarine is a characteristic of the material itself. Aquamarine is a stone with low refractive index and will show windowing with very little tilt angle. The lapidary tried to minimize it by adding lots of facets to add more sparkle and life.

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

Thank you! It sounds like I could keep this particular sapphire on the list and maybe see how it looks in person. It's good to know that the look of the aquamarine is due to the nature of the stone; I feel a sneaking fondness for it but that vortex effect is exactly what I'm looking to avoid in its replacement.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Love that setting. A Montana (or anything else!) would look beautiful in it. The one you posted, I agree with Chrono, doesn't show extinction, but it does on my monitor have some green; some people like that, others not so much. (I do.)

Gemfix has a few others, and you might take a look at Gemart http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html. Don't know if any of his are the size you need.

Finding just the right sapphire is sometimes quite a search. I'd hope Montanas might be easier than others, being in less demand, but that old law always comes up -- that they disappear just when you want one. I'd write Andrew at Gemfix & ask if he has some that are not on his site, too.

Hope you'll post photos of the ring when it has its new stone! It'll be a knockout.

--- Laurie

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the kind words about the setting! It is in fact my first engagement ring, purchased by my now-husband (pre-Pricescope) as an antique with an "excellent" diamond. An appraisal six weeks before our wedding revealed it to be a (nice) antique reproduction with a diamond that would make a Pricescoper's eyeballs bleed - "good" cut, O color, I3 with crown-breaking feathers! In a mad scramble and with the help of a much better local jeweler, we were able to sell the diamond and buy a whole new engagement ring, but we kept this setting and the jeweler popped that aquamarine in for free.

Having learned my lesson, I've spent the past two years lurking, learning, and window-shopping, and I'm hoping (with the wisdom of Pricescope) to get a really nice stone that will erase the memory of that woofer of a diamond. I just wrote to Gemfix and will take a look at Gemart too.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock

Welcome and good luck with your search!

Gemfix has been the most abundant source of Montana's that I've seen - they always seem to have a bunch of pretty ones. I think your idea of buying several to compare is VERY good. I had the opportunity to visit Andrew this summer while in San Diego and maybe my expectations were too high, because I was underwhelmed by his stones in person. Most of the sapphires I saw seemed to have a gray quality to them that I did not like. BUT I also found the lights in his shop very difficult so if you order them and see them all on your hand together, that will def be the best way.

Good luck! Oh, I also occasionally see pretty Montanas on etsy. You may want to have a look.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

By the way, Aphrone, your kitty is beautiful! What gorgeous markings.

Neat story about the ring, though tough on you at the time. We live & learn, don't we? You ended up with a very pretty setting, though, that will be so nice once you find The Sapphire.

--- Laurie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I am not a fan of the style of cut on your aqua.......
I much prefer the Montana sapphire you are considering!
nice find! :appl:

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

Thanks to all - I just ordered three sapphires from Gemfix and will post photos when they arrive!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It will be interesting to see how similar to, or how much they vary from, the photos and hand shots provided by GF. Looking forward to it, and hoping that "the one" is among them. :))

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I, too, hope The One is amongst the three, and am interested in how the pictures compare to what you see IRL, having never bought from Gemfix. It is a beautiful setting, no need to be distracted by a stone you're not happy with.

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

There are now three stones headed my way, theoretically arriving Friday! I actually decided against including the one I posted initially, after the nice Gemfix people described it as "very dark." I will certainly do a photo shoot as soon as the sapphires arrive and post them for everyone's inspection/opinions. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Always good to heed a vendor's advice about a particular stone. One more day until Friday!

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

So I just picked up the stones this morning, and they're all (to my eyes) lovely in person. I went directly from the post office to the jeweler, who thought they were all fine but favored Stone C, the smallest one, on purely mechanical grounds, arguing that it would be easier to set with the pavé prongs. So now I need your opinion. And it turns out that, yes, it is really hard to take good pictures! Mine are really bad despite repeated efforts.

Stone A: 7.1mm, heated, high crown (the jeweler thought that would make it especially hard to fit into the setting)

Stone B: 7mm, heated

Stone C and group photos in the next post!

stone_a_sapphire_montana_346__1325_7.jpg

stone_a_cropped.jpg

stone_b_sapphire_montana_352_7mm__1520.jpg

stone_b_cropped.jpg

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

Ok, here's stone C, group photos, and my thoughts:

Stone C - 6.7mm, unheated

Group photos: (A, B, C, from base of my finger towards the knuckle)

Stone A is the biggest and the least expensive, and I really like the color. I love the high crown, which I couldn't capture in the photo, but the jeweler seemed to think that (and the size) would pose a setting problem.

Stone B is slightly greener, because of the yellow spot - it's a very cool effect.

Stone C is the smallest, and unheated (although that wasn't a priority for me). It's a very pretty blue, slightly bluer than Stone A, I think.

So what does everyone else think? I have more pictures, none fabulous, but can post them if anyone needs more evidence!

stone_c_sapphire_montana_386__1440_6.jpg

stone_c_cropped.jpg

stones_a__b___amp__c.jpg

stone_a__b__c_on_hand__flour_natural_light.jpg

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock

I like stone C for the colour but that is personal preference, do you think you have "the one" in this bunch or maybe need to look at others? Maybe he has other silvery blue stones you can look at that will work better in the setting you have?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I love the high crown in the last pic. So gorgeous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like C because of the colour and cut. The fact that your jeweller feels most comfortable setting this stone is another factor that would sway me towards C. The inclusions in A is distacting to me and appears to affect the sparkle / appreciation of the faceting in your hand shot. I am also not a fan of mixed colouration without a clear symmetrical pattern, therefore B does not appeal to me.

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

I think we are hearing consensus around Stone C! Tempted as I am by the extra size of Stone A (I am a 7.5 ring size), I think it is the nicest looking of the three, and I certainly don't want to mess with the setting any more than necessary. I will take it to my jeweler today, and I will report back ASAP with the final ring.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I will say that the other two stones are both really handsome, despite the impression left by my wretched photos. Stone A is a beautiful storm-cloud color, and I think Stone B with the yellow spot would look really interesting in a cool modern YG setting. Just in case anyone's in the market....

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Late to the thread, but adding a vote for C :)

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

Took Stone C to the jeweler, and I should have the ring in 2-3 weeks. Thanks again to everyone - I will post the final ring the minute I get it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I too like C best of the three. That said, though, they are quite different from Gemfix's photos; in their photos, the stones look more intensely colored with greater saturation. It could be that your photos are taken in lower light, and if you took one in with intense light focused right on the stone (I.e., a studio-like setup), then the stones might look closer to theirs.

Can't wait to see the finished ring.

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

Here is the finished ring - much earlier than expected! The sapphire looks a bit darker in the setting than it did unset, I think, but I love it - it reads most of the time as a storm-cloud or denim blue. It's super-sparkly and well-cut, to my amateur eyes.

I was very happy with my experience with Gemfix, by the way.

Thanks to everyone for your help and enthusiasm - I'm so glad this project is complete after many months of lurking and looking. I couldn't have done it without Pricescope's collective wisdom.

Pictures - with the iPhone, I'm afraid, but they give you a sense of the color at least:

ring_filtered_sunlight.jpg

ring_inside.jpg

ring_inside_profile.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A perfect fit! :appl: It looks great too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh I love love love it.

Aphrone

Rough_Rock

Thank you! I can't keep my eyes off of it. I'm also amused that, with the engraving and the denim-colored stone, the ring looks vaguely Western-wear now (I live in Texas). Maybe it's finally time to invest in cowboy boots to go with my Western sapphire.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Love it! that came out great!

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium

So pretty!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You did really, really well. Lovely ring - I too love the stormy look to it.

sunnybunny

Rough_Rock

So pretty. I love the color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results