shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of a half carat emerald cut...clueless about step cuts!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling @Matthews1127, @OoohShiny and other step cut aficionados!

I'm on the hunt for a half carat (or thereabouts) loose emerald cut diamond. My budget is under $1000AUD to avoid duty etc, so I'm happy with down to about J colour and eyeclean, but that's where it ends! I am clueless about step cuts as I have never owned one, but have seen a few of them IRL and would love to own one as a contrast to all of my RBCs, probably in a delicate solitaire necklace or bezel RHR. I have considered asschers too, but figure for my budge they'd be microscopic!

My preference is to stick with Blue Nile as I have a voucher, and shipping/returns to and from Australia is easy, but it's not absolutely essential. My basic understanding is that numbers don't matter as much with emerald cuts as RBs, which is all I know.

To start the ball rolling, any thoughts on this one?

Thank you in advance!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've considered radiant cuts too, there look to be a couple of pretty ones on BN but around the .30ct mark, so too small.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked on BN and just put in your price range and approx .45 and above and the VERY FIRST diamond I pulled as the one I liked most was coincidentally the one you linked.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh cool, that's very reassuring @distracts!! :mrgreen: I don't really know what to look for to maximise performance, but I know what I like, and I do like that one. Thank you for taking the time to look!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh cool, that's very reassuring @distracts!! :mrgreen: I don't really know what to look for to maximise performance, but I know what I like, and I do like that one. Thank you for taking the time to look!

Oh I have no clue what to actually look for either - I just pick a few that look promising and then watch the video spin around and eliminate any where the facets are dead or turn off and on together rather than alternately. I also try to eliminate ones that look really bad off-angle. I've been low-key browsing for an emerald cut for a pendant so I've been checking the videos every now and then for a few months. Not sure how the videos translate in person - step cuts are the ones I've seen by far the least of irl.

Unfortunately in your size/price range I couldn't do what I really like to do which is try to look for ones with lower depths and smaller tables - those tend to have more I like, but there just weren't enough to do that.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couple that caught my eye!

I think this one has the narrow ends working harder than the original suggestion, and it might have some 'hall of mirrors' effect going on?

Definitely want EC and not Asscher? lol

If you want high colour, this is E - and the SI1 inclusion looks white so might not be that obvious?

Need to go out soon so will have to look at other options later!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'm on the hunt for a half carat (or thereabouts) loose emerald cut diamond. My budget is under $1000AUD to avoid duty etc...

I'm sorry to say that you pay GST on any imported item. It used to be that goods valued under 1000 AUD didn't incur GST but that changed a couple of years ago. There will also be an entrance tax of 83 AUD regardless of the value of the item. The good news is that you don't get charged the extra 5% import tax on loose diamonds. If your vendor has the right forms though, I think a whole ring may escape that 5%. I bought via James Allen last year and I am sure I only got charged 10% GST + the entrance tax.

So in other words, if you see a stone over 1K, go for it ;-) I feel you'll find many options under 1K, especially in the lower colours. My only tip with step cuts would be to value clarity over carat, and as high a colour as you can get. Also, have a think about your ideal ratio for emeralds - long and skinny, or on the chunky side.

Good luck!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some from JA that caught my eye:

This one seems.. different... like it's fiery off-axis but maybe a touch low-contrast head-on??

Potential Hall of Mirrors but weird polish lines in some facets??

I quite like this one myself - seems good from all angles!

Last edited:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @monipod, that's really good to know. I didn't actually realise that about the GST change, I must not be buying enough jewellery! :mrgreen::mrgreen: Thank you for taking the time to post,much appreciated!

@OoohShiny you are a CHAMP! Thank you so much for taking the time to look for me, I can't tell you how grateful I am! In fact I have the .47 E that you posted on hold with Blue Nile...as soon as I saw the image my heart went all fluttery :kiss2: That's the first stone to do that, and I've never owned such a high colour before either (all of my ACAs are I and J) so I'm super excited about that. The inclusion doesn't worry me either, being white. Thanks SO much again!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @monipod, that's really good to know. I didn't actually realise that about the GST change, I must not be buying enough jewellery! :mrgreen::mrgreen: Thank you for taking the time to post,much appreciated!

@OoohShiny you are a CHAMP! Thank you so much for taking the time to look for me, I can't tell you how grateful I am! In fact I have the .47 E that you posted on hold with Blue Nile...as soon as I saw the image my heart went all fluttery :kiss2: That's the first stone to do that, and I've never owned such a high colour before either (all of my ACAs are I and J) so I'm super excited about that. The inclusion doesn't worry me either, being white. Thanks SO much again!

Oh, cool! If you go ahead with it I hope it looks as good in real life! :)

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry to say that you pay GST on any imported item. It used to be that goods valued under 1000 AUD didn't incur GST but that changed a couple of years ago. There will also be an entrance tax of 83 AUD regardless of the value of the item. The good news is that you don't get charged the extra 5% import tax on loose diamonds. If your vendor has the right forms though, I think a whole ring may escape that 5%. I bought via James Allen last year and I am sure I only got charged 10% GST + the entrance tax.

So in other words, if you see a stone over 1K, go for it ;-) I feel you'll find many options under 1K, especially in the lower colours. My only tip with step cuts would be to value clarity over carat, and as high a colour as you can get. Also, have a think about your ideal ratio for emeralds - long and skinny, or on the chunky side.

Good luck!

Yes the Australian import laws changed. You will pay gst on any value import. USA originating items are exempt 5% duty under AUSFTA but the correct paperwork needs to be filed.

So there’s gst, postage, customs brokerage... on any diamond you buy.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Lovesparklesparle! I did pay GST but avoided the customs fee, so that must still stand as an over $1000 thing. And Blue Nile postage is free, so yay for that! :mrgreen: Still waiting (im)patiently for it to arrive.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
That’s great news. Whiteflash, BN and other established businesses who deal internationally often are all over that. There is a free trade agreement which excludes USA originating goods from attracting 5% duty. Different with private sales. Please post when it arrives!!

Last edited:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick update...BN kindly shipped the diamond straight to DanielM from Etsy for me, and he sent me this CAD of the ring which is currently in production. It will be a 14k white gold head on a rose gold band. It's so teeny and perfect, I can't wait to see the finished piece.

icm_fullxfull.242284989_6ezmklvwnzswksokkgc0.jpg

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a quick update...BN kindly shipped the diamond straight to DanielM from Etsy for me, and he sent me this CAD of the ring which is currently in production. It will be a 14k white gold head on a rose gold band. It's so teeny and perfect, I can't wait to see the finished piece.

icm_fullxfull.242284989_6ezmklvwnzswksokkgc0.jpg

I love it! It might be petite but it’s so elegant.
I can’t wait to see hand shots :kiss2:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful. I love how it looks modern yet classic at the same time.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick update: it's finished and I love it! Now I have to wait another month until my birthday to get it, boo.

Or...do I? :devil:

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.2201331700_febq.jpg
    il_fullxfull.2201331700_febq.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 23

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Very pretty :D I think there's nothing wrong with an early birthday present!

wifelife

Rough_Rock
Oh my, I absolutely love this. I see a step cut in my future!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results