shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of a 3+ct cushion cut! Yay!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are looking at K color, they look best in the antique faceting.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1427233065|3851950 said:
None of those three is great. the first is the best. Get an ASET but prepare to be underwhelmed.

Glad you chimed in... maybe you could suggest a stone?

ESNP

Rough_Rock

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427251968|3852094 said:
The more the merrier ;-)

So I spoke with the BF tonight and although he is concerned about buying a diamond on the internet, he says if I chose to go this route I can (after we look in Canada the first week of June). He said if I lose the money I don't get it back though :lol: :shock: So I will be updating between now and then!

Stumbled upon these too...

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C264-T9BK6W
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C255-LEDRKB

Hmmm... both of those seem to be dead on the table with a lot of "mushiness". Maybe someone else will recommend a few more. Cushions can be hard. :wall:

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Or this... Lang's isn't exactly known for their reasonable prices, but they have stunning vintage jewelers. This is 3 carats haloed so it will look massive, but it's a yellow diamond and round. Looks stunning though.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-7139

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Travelgal -

The yellow is a beaut! I originally liked halos but I think I prefer solitaire now.

Overall, how do you feel about buying on ebay? Is it safe? I would certainly consider buying an antique or pre-owned for the stone, however I am not sure how risky it is to purchase off ebay.Also, that is EGL certified..I thought it was better to stick to GIA/AGS cert? Does it really matter? Thanks for weighing in :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I live in Calgary. Need suggestion locally?

cheers--Sharon

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Canuck - Hi! We have a place we will be going but would be good to browse around, will take suggestions graciously :) Thanks!

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Myak - like this round stone. A little above budget, if they we were willing to come down a bit it could be a possibility.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427481177|3853345 said:
Canuck - Hi! We have a place we will be going but would be good to browse around, will take suggestions graciously :) Thanks!

I can't think of any place that would have a large selection of cushions to choose from. You might see but one! Getting a GIA certed stone in the colourless range and good clarity >3 carats for your budget will be a challenge

Since you are not here until June, you might find something in the next two months before arriving--and not need to shop while here at all and you can go to the Post Hotel in Lake Louise instead! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427481335|3853348 said:
Myak - like this round stone. A little above budget, if they we were willing to come down a bit it could be a possibility.

You should contact her. You never know until you ask. :naughty:

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Canuck - On my first visit to Calgary I actually ate dinner at the Post hotel and spent some time in Banff. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, people don't realize how amazing Canada is :) Now as for that weather... you can keep it :lol: Do you know anything about Troy Shoppe Jewellers in Calary?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427568357|3853796 said:
Canuck - On my first visit to Calgary I actually ate dinner at the Post hotel and spent some time in Banff. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, people don't realize how amazing Canada is :) Now as for that weather... you can keep it :lol: Do you know anything about Troy Shoppe Jewellers in Calary?

HEY, we Canadian's Love--err hate--err love our weather! :lol: Although the Foothills of the Rockies have many beauties, in my former life I lived by the ocean = in Hawaii. :cheeky:

Yanno, when I first came to Calgary I shopped there and also had custom work done and received good products and service. That said, I have not been there in sometime--not for any particular reason, I just haven't. Hence, I have no current info to offer. Sorry.

Depending on what I need and am in the market for: Calgary Jewellery, J Vair Anderson, Maison Birks, Brinkhaus, Tiffany, and The Goldsmiths are places I know and frequent. Also, I highly recommend Fleetwood Jewelry for new and Estate--they have competitive prices. WOW sounds like I buy a lot of jewellery!!! :???:

And The Post Hotel is charming and the geography, divine.. Michelin rated restaurant and therefore stunning food and ENVIABLE wine list....I just wanted to stay to eat and DRINK! (and I know we did!! :lol: )

cheers--Sharon

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

After all of your messages and speaking with the jeweler I have come to the final realization (and acceptance) that 3+ct is not in the budget. Boyfriend has said he is strict on the 20k limit - to include the band and center stone.

So.. 2.0c-2.5ct cushion cut center, round as second choice... Is this doable? Let the search begin :)
Also..wasnt too thrilled with the guy in Canada, said he would probably only have one or two to show me...
He also said he didnt believe an SI2 would be eye-clean - agree or disagree?

Thanks for your help!

ESNP

Rough_Rock

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427600299|3853960 said:

I would cross out all of these, unless you're willing to pay for them, view them, then send them back if you're not pleased... all of the vendors above only show a sample image. You cannot buy cushions based on numbers alone. You should stick with a vendor who shows photo/video/ASET/etc...

I understand you want size... would you consider a colored diamond??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427605825|3853977 said:
Also - why is this one so inexpensive?

James Allen - 2.82ct J SI1, 8.82 x 7.59x 5.10, $15110
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.82-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-428045

I'm no cushion expert, but the cut looks pretty bad. For the sizes you keep listing (8.7+ mm x smaller size), you could get a beautiful round, only it will look larger because a round will measure the same diameter (you won't have a smaller side). Also, a J in a round will appear whiter than a cushion in the same color. If you're dead set on cushion, then that's fine... I just wanted to throw it out there, because it seems like you value size overall. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buuuuttttt.....

If you've caught the cushion bug, and you just can't deny it, then I would suggest going for an old cut in a deliberately warmer color and accentuating it -- OWN THE COLOR!! If you are comfortable with a cape colored stone, then I would look into this.

...you'll get your massive rock with this one, AND have money left for an elegant pave setting!

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/3-01-ct-and-up/3-48ct-antique-cushion-cut-gia-s-t-si1#.VRgUqv6PLIU

9.31 x 8.27 mm
REALLY cool faceting
HUGE

and... $18,800.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the S/T color would look amazing in rose gold, unplated WG, or YG... depending on what you wanted to play up in the color of the stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1427642537|3854120 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.52-carat-j-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-385379

Looks like it could be eye clean and the feather looks prongable

Great SI2!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.52-carat-j-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-385379

Looks like it could be eye clean and the feather looks prongable
You would have to have a gemologist review it to make sure its eye clean. So you would start a chat with James Allen and ask. When you do that also ask for the James Allen Discount. It should save you a few %. If it does, I'd then suggest this setting. JA sells danhov, so just ask the rep about it when you talk to them as well. It should be in budget in platinum, and the sides of the basket should do a good job of covering the color of the side of the diamond.
http://www.danhov.com/default/engagement/view-all/danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-cl138

ESNP

Rough_Rock
You all are so amazing. I appreciate all of your help, insight, and efforts. This is so hard for me because I love almost every stone I see online...Yet I know I am basing it on my gut reaction to it aesthetically, not on the actual quality that you all can decipher so much better than I! Will keep these stones in the mix. I am considering round...so it can be 2.5ct but essentially bigger face-up due to the measurements? (Math was never my strong subject hehe).

MSOP - You are so funny!!!! But...you dropped the mic..and then came back for more? : :naughty: :lol:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I highly doubt the original diamond you posted is graded by a well respected company - it is likely much lower in color and clarity. It looks really yellow and has a massive table. I would say no no for me.

Are you sure you are comfortable with going down to a J/K for a cushion? It isn't white and there is a noticeable tint.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427662017|3854217 said:
You all are so amazing. I appreciate all of your help, insight, and efforts. This is so hard for me because I love almost every stone I see online...Yet I know I am basing it on my gut reaction to it aesthetically, not on the actual quality that you all can decipher so much better than I! Will keep these stones in the mix. I am considering round...so it can be 2.5ct but essentially bigger face-up due to the measurements? (Math was never my strong subject hehe).

MSOP - You are so funny!!!! But...you dropped the mic..and then came back for more? : :naughty: :lol:

I just couldn't resist!! HA!! :lol: :lol:

No math to worry with here! ;)) ...but don't focus on carat size -- look for the measurements. I'm gonna show you what I mean in a sec. BRB...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results