shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of a 1.35-1.6Carat Diamond

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pass. too deep, angles aren't complimentary. The HCA Tool is a great way to weed out poor performers, anything under 2 is a pass. 0.8 is not better than 1.9, you just want to stay under 2. and if you look through some of the older posts, both Gypsy and DiamondSeeker have posted a guide of sorts to help find well cut stones.

If you're looking for a super ideal stone, Whiteflash is a great place to look, they tell you if a stone is eye clean, they provide all necessary images, etc etc. A Cut Above is there super ideal line, no need to run these through the HCA

Both very nice F colored stones, VS2, eye clean
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3701016.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3706900.htm

joepark89

Rough_Rock
Got it. I will definitely look through those and wow... Those are both gorgeous.

joepark89

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your help.

joepark89

Rough_Rock
One other question... Sorry, I've done some research here and it seems there are equal pros and cons for either White Gold or Platinum... Any insight on what I would want to get for the setting? My significant other will be a nurse if that affects anything. Thank you.

joepark89

Rough_Rock
That size is wonderful... Truthfully, I'm still learning about Color and I've read mixed thoughts on the color difference between G-J and D-F

Any thoughts?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would your intended wear the ring to work? That could influence the type of setting she'd want. For example, a bezel setting with a low set diamond could facilitate easy on/off of gloves.

White gold looks (especially when polished and with rhodium) whiter to me than platinum, which leans more towards gray to me, especially when it develops a patina. Platinum also is heavier than wg when you compare the same setting in different metals. A pro of platinum is that it doesn't contain nickel, so those with nickel allergies that want a white-ish metal will opt for plat.

Does your intended have a pinterest page with dream rings? Can you inquire with her mom, siblings, friends, etc. on what she likes/dislikes in an engagement ring?

joepark89

Rough_Rock
We actually went to look at some this weekend and finally found out she's a size 4.5. She's going to be a nurse, so she wants a lower setting that doesn't sit as high, but loves the 4-prong Pave style so bezel is not an option.

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Pre-set-bridal-ring-sets/1.00-ct.-tw.-Pave-Set-Matching-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Wedding-Band-Set-14K-White-Gold-11310.aspx

I'm guessing this one is higher than the previous one.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Pre-set-bridal-ring-sets/1.00-ct.-tw.-Pave-Set-Diamond-Cathedral-Engagement-Ring-Matching-Wedding-Band-Set-14K-White-Gold-11327.aspx

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Eh...nurse here. That's a large-sized diamond to wear to work. I have a 1.08ct that used to be in a 6-prong Tiffany-style setting that I could NOT wear to work because the prongs would occasionally catch on my gloves and rip them open. It was a safety hazard. The larger the diamond, it can only be set so low on a band. I only wore a plain band to work until we got my original e-ring reset into a vintage-style setting that the diamond would sit inside, instead of the typical high-up prong setting. Now, I typically wear my 5-stone anniversary band, which sits low on my hand, and I specifically requested the prongs be dull to the touch.

Also, why so high on color/clarity? VS2 should still be eye clean, and there are eye clean SI1 and even SI2, as well. Personally, I have an H colored diamond that I can only see a *hint* of tint in if I put it right next to a DEF (and I have 20/20 in my L eye and 20/15 in my R!).

Oh, and also in regards to the nurse thing, I would get platinum. My rings are white gold, and I got them before becoming a nurse. I don't KNOW this, but it is my PERCEPTION that the rhodium plating wears off more quickly on the rings I wear to work 1) because they get used more and 2) because I have to constantly rub my hands with hand sanitizer gel.

joepark89

Rough_Rock
That's some great insight.

Do you think a Pave style band would be ok as long as there are no edges?

Thank you for your assistance.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Umm...I know people who wear pave e-rings and bands to work. However, depending on what kind of nursing she's going to be doing, it honestly may be a better idea to not have pave or just not wear rings to work. Or opt for something like a plain or a QALO band to work instead. Nursing can be surprisingly physical. It is not uncommon to smack or catch a ring on something metal, like a stretcher. One of my friends has a pave band and e-ring wedding set and lost one of the pave stones out of it at work. She quit wearing her nice rings to work after that.
I know, when she gets the ring, she's going to want to wear it ALL THE TIME. But, there's a good chance she will later realize that''s not practical or that she will want to protect her prized ring more.
When I do wear a ring to work, I only wear ONE because I have to wash and sanitize my hands so much that it's hard to keep the space between 2 or more rings dry, causing further skin breakdown on my fingers that can already be chapped from all the hand sanitizer gel. Add to that taking off rings at work to apply lotion to those chapped hands...no thanks!
Note: I work with adult patients, so there is a lot of moving people in the bed, assisting with transfer, pulling, tugging, etc that put my rings at risk of getting caught on something. Most of my patients are quite sick, so there's also a high risk of contact with bodily fluids...definitely would not want gloves ripping! A lot of the potential risks to rings is going to depend on the patient population she ends up working with. For example, I see a lot of people in psych or labor & deliver/postpartum who wear their bling, but if you go to the ER or ICU or progressive/intermediate care, you see a lot more RNs who leave their bling at home.

joepark89

Rough_Rock
Got it. This is EXTREMELY helpful.

Sounds like getting her what she wants, and then perhaps buying just a plain band later will be the best idea because I know she'll want to show off that bling when not working.

Thank you very much.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
joepark89|1474995422|4081299 said:

Sounds like getting her what she wants, and then perhaps buying just a plain band later will be the best idea because I know she'll want to show off that bling when not working.

Thank you very much.

That's definitely what I would recommend. I just don't want to you to be upset if she doesn't wear it to work or at some point stops wearing it to work! My DH was a little upset when I quit wearing my e-ring to work, and I had to have a talk w/ him about the choice being one of safety (for myself AND the ring), NOT because I didn't love it or didn't want to show it off! I actually brought home a glove and showed him how my ring rips them!

Also, as far as the white gold vs. platinum: I looked it up online and apparently gel hand sanitizer does speed up the breakdown of rhodium plating on white gold. I find the plating on my plain band (that I wear to work occasionally) lasts about 6mo before it's yellow enough that I want to replate it. If I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now. I would get platinum. The frequent replating is a pain in regards to time, being parted from the ring, and cost. Ugh, hindsight!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I second LadyMCh - I'm also a healthcare provider and alcohol gel is often mixed with moisturizers which gunk up diamonds big and small... but pave is ESPECIALLY difficult to clean. The moisturizers completely destroy the sparkle, too, until they're cleaned off. Since you're supposed to use hand sanitizer every time you put on or take off gloves, wearing gloves isn't a way to get around it!

So, if she wants pave, I bet she'll either know to save the ring for non-work wear or tolerate its glove-destroying properties until she figures out how much cleaning is required to keep the rings looking good... And then look for an alternate option (plain or engraved band, perhaps). :) I just hope a delicate 4-prong setting is stable/ strong enough that her diamond doesn't knock loose before she realizes it's not a great option to wear it to work!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just be advised that more hospitals have moved toward a no-jewelry policy. I completed a year of diploma RN school (That's hospital-based, for those whose states no longer have those programs.) It was an urban hospital, and the year was 2011-2012, and that hospital and its RN and radiology schools already had instituted a policy of employee is permitted ONE PLAIN SMOOTH BAND ONLY, no stones in it, and no textured metals. In other words, they allowed essentially only a plain wedding band. That is also the policy at the hospital my sister works in and she is in a different state. We live in a post-antibiotic age already. If hospitals were smart, they'd ban hand and wrist jewelry altogether in order to facilitate hand-washing and prevent transmission of disease via fomites. Help prevent tears in gloves would be another benefit. The total-ban day is coming, folks, so you should just buy the rings that you want to wear off the job and not worry about it anymore if you work in jobs that handle patients.

gregfisherman

Rough_Rock
Trade
joepark89|1474995422|4081299 said:

Thank you very much.

That sounds like the best option. Depending on what hospital she will work in, the jewelry policy will restrict her anyway. Instead of deciding on the setting based on her profession, decide with her wishes in mind! Chances are she will not be wearing it to work and when it is on her finger she should have the ring of her dreams! If her hospital allows jewelry, provide her with a smoother option without a raised stone or prongs/pave setting to prevent any gloves from ripping or unsanitary elements getting stuck in it.

joepark89

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

One more question...

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3706900.htm

How are these below diamonds compared to the one above? Sorry, I'm such a rookie and I'm so focused on the "high grades" in all the 4 c's that I don't think I can fully appreciate other diamonds with "lesser grades"

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3634977.htm?source=pricescope#

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3075972.htm?source=pricescope

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results