shape
carat
color
clarity

In need of quick advice. Resizing a trellis safe?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

Hopefully I can get some quick input. My new ring is one size too large. Its going to have to be sized down one complete size (6 to a 5). It's a five stone trellis (RB). Single claws on side bottom diamonds. 8 on the center. I spoke with a local jeweler today said he does not think it can be size down that much with oit risks. I absolutely do want any compromise to this ring and diamond safety (or actually any change at all really including the diameter of the band, prongs...). It was blessed by a Priest on Christmas Eve before I received it from my husband....that is not able to be redone.

Can this ring be resized or does it need to be recast? My gut is telling me I need to have it recast but I not a jeweler. Thank you for any advice. If the answer is simply yes then I would prefer to keep my same ring since we had to go out of her way to have it blessed (on Christmas Eve mass!) . If there are legitimate risks and then I suppose I'm going to need to request a recasting. I just need some honest advice from anybody who would actually have some expertise input on the topic. TY :(

20151219_164657-1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about having it sized down half a size and having beads or a liner put it in to take care of the other half size?

I can't imagine sizing down from a 6 to a 5.5 would be a problem... TBH I don't really understand why sizing a full size is an issue - three jewellers told me it would be no problem to size my own trellis in this style up or down by one size recently and its shank is also cast - but I defer to your jeweller's judgment on your specific piece.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's winter, when fingers are at their smallest. I'd put in sizing beads for now, and wait to see how much you swell in the summer before committing to resizing.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1452109959|3971744 said:
It's winter, when fingers are at their smallest. I'd put in sizing beads for now, and wait to see how much you swell in the summer before committing to resizing.

Really good point!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sizing that down one size should not pose any problems at all. The ring will bend more easily under the center stone and so it will be loosened and the sides diamonds may be loosened a bit as well, but one size is not all that much and it should be very easy to re-tighten all of the stones without issue.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
MollyM,
Thank you for letting me know there was a double post. I asked andmin. for the second one to be removed. I went back to add a photograph of the ring in case people needed the visual. Somehow it double posted. Appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you all for your opinion and I was assured it would be no problem to size it down. I wear a 5 in the winter, summer, when heavier & thinner. I lost 20 pounds a couple years ago and still wore of 5 when heavier. Don't ask me why because I'm definitely not petite. I have small wrists too. I think I'm posed to be thinner than I am? Lol :) :( I love food & jewelry.

I actually can find a little humor because I started a thread last week asking the ladies how loose they wear the rings. I couldn't understand why this ring was a little loose on me and was considering downsizing it from the size 5....lol....bc it was a 6 (someone oopsed)! The only reason it wasn't falling off my finger was because of the two balls (currently has to sizing balls already on it). I thought about putting on larger balls, but for the amount of money I spent on this ring, it really should fit me properly. I attached a picture so you guys can definitely see the ring was big on me.

Solid 5 :) They were really cool about it and are taking care of things lickety split. Oops :)

20160104_161828-1.jpg

20160104_161829-1.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY, I'm glad that ID Jewelry (I'm guessing the "they" refers to them) has put your mind at ease & that you will have your wondeful ring, in a size 5, very soon!!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
So funny I was trying to be discreet! Lol! I have nothing but wonderful things to say about IDJ and was trying to remain a little anonymous with my question. I suppose it silly to think one could fly under the radar with a "random" question when we all are such jewelry lovers! :) I just wanted to get a few opinions....there's nothing wrong with throwing a couple questions out :).

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - it definitely looks like sizing to a 5 was the right move! I find that people who have fingers like yours - where the knuckle is the biggest part of the finger, don't seem to fluctuate, as opposed to people with fingers like mine, which are shaped like patrick the starfish from spongebob, where it gets fleshier towards the base, and "muffin tops" can abound when rings get stacked or fingers swell.

https://www.google.com/search?q=patrick+the+starfish&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixwM3KjpbKAhUDqB4KHTsvD8cQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=631

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
TY PintoBean (loved the attachment, lol). I personally do see a slight difference between summer / winter. Not a lot.

I can't help but to chuckle about this. All I kept thinking was "I need to have this sized down to a size 4.75" (going down a quarter size). I've never been that small before! Lol! I was afraid such a small size (4.75) wouldn't be able to get over my knuckle. Sheww! Glad this was figured out. It was really causing a slight bit of distress. I was "losing some sleep" over whether I should size it or not. How could a size 5 be loose? Inner circumference @ 16.4. Lol! :) :) She is on her way now to the Big Apple. :)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
I was just updated that the ring is a size 5.5 (not 6). This makes a change of a 1/2 size. I'm less concerned. :) :) GREAT!

Thank you all for your help.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
AMEN! Off my finger for only 37 hours! MD to NYC and back to MD! :) Yay! Love IDJ!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is wonderful turn around time!

Any more pics now that it fits correctly? :dance: :dance:

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Why, yes I do MissGotRocks! :) (your ring is so beautiful)! Have not had the opportunity to wear yet for an extended amount of time because I was down in DC this evening and felt I shouldn't wear it on the Metro. Seems to fit so much better and I can't even tell it was downsized as far as aesthetics. :) I do not even feel it on my finger, where before with all the movement, that's all I could concentrate on.

Inner diameter, according to my husband's digital caliper, is 15.76 mm. No balls. Bottom width of shank hair under 4mm. IDJ sent me a pic (attached) on their mandrel. It absolutely won't be tight in the summer & hopefully on the coldest of days, it won't spin.

Thank you for everybody who tossed to me some input on this topic!!

20160108_230059.jpg

20160108_0.jpg

screenshot_2016-01-07-17-42-12.png

20160108_3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results