shape
carat
color
clarity

In need of help!

thomps000

Rough_Rock
So I've been trying to research for the past few months and the time has finally come to purchase a diamond and setting for my girlfriend. I have decided that $5,000 is my limit (Grad student so not a ton of extra income) and I'd like to get the biggest stone possible without sacrificing cut. I don't mind dropping into an I/J or an Eyeclean SI2 if I can get a little bigger of a diamond, but I am really having trouble figuring out which diamond to get.

My girlfriend loves tacori and she likes the real simple setting that Tacori sells for about $1400. It is the 2584RD65 if you are curious, and while I know it may seem silly to spend so much on the setting, it would really be a nice surprise for her.

I'd love to get into the .8 and bigger range if possible, but it doesn't seem possible within my budget. Here is one diamond that I thought looked decent and but I am guessing it is not eye clean after looking at the AGS cert.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2666576.htm

If anyone has suggestions on better diamonds, I am completely open to them. If we do not go with the Tacori setting, she does like Knife Edges and I know JA has a very reasonably priced one. So that is also another option for a setting. I just need some help and after reading the boards for so long I know that you guys will not steer me in the wrong direction.

Thanks so much!

Patrick

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
The AGS doesn't really tell you if it will be eye clean. I can see some of the inclusions in the picture, but remember, the picture is magnified in the photo- that doesn't mean it is or isn't going to be eye-clean to your specifications. I think the diamond looks like a nice choice to get you to that size in your price range. It might be worth ordering to see it for yourself since WF has an excellent return policy, of course you can live chat or call them to see what their opinion is as well. But they do seem to note if a stone is eye clean when it is, so that this page doesn't specifically say that means maybe it isn't eye clean. Not sure.

Here are some slightly smaller ones in your range as well, trying to stay around $3600 so you can get the Tacori you want:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391350.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391365.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2428270.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2671401.htm

If you decide to go with the knife edge that frees up some $$ and you can go a little bigger-
This scores well on HCA, and is VS clarity so would be eye clean at the size you are looking at, though there are no images or idealscopes, they are a reputable vendor:
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/diamond_detail.php?id=385255&ref=pricescope

personally I say get the biggest diamond you can- you can always reset into the tacori later, or save up and maybe surprise her as a wedding gift or something.

thomps000

Rough_Rock
I did look at GOG and they were very nice, however, I live in NY so I'd have to pay the 9% (or whatever it is down there) sales tax in addition. It seems nearly impossible to get a stone in the .80-.90 range in a Ideal cut. Is AGS0 really needed? Or if I go to JA would a Ideal cut suffice?

Thanks so far for everyones help...it gives me a couple more options!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
thomps000|1310863873|2970600 said:
I did look at GOG and they were very nice, however, I live in NY so I'd have to pay the 9% (or whatever it is down there) sales tax in addition. It seems nearly impossible to get a stone in the .80-.90 range in a Ideal cut. Is AGS0 really needed? Or if I go to JA would a Ideal cut suffice?

Thanks so far for everyones help...it gives me a couple more options!

I would not rely on JA's 'ideal' cut label. look for AGS0 or GIA Ex that score under 2 on the HCA (pricescope.com/tools/hca) and request idealscope image

thomps000

Rough_Rock
I ended up talking to GOG and was actually recommended this diamond.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7288/

Since it has the Med Florescence I was told it faces up quite white and it is eye clean. It seems to score well on the HCA, but should I be concerned about purchasing such an inexpensive diamond? It seems almost too good to be true, but I find it hard to only spend $2500 on the diamond and $1500-1700 on the setting.

I guess I just don't want to feel like I haven't gotten her a great diamond, and the thing that's holding me back is the low price. (I know that seems strange)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask them if it is eye-clean or if that inclusion can be hidden under a prong? The reason it is priced so low
is that its an SI2 with a pretty big inclusion.

thomps000

Rough_Rock
They did say that it was Eye clean. Is the inclusion really that big? I thought it looked relatively clean for an SI2...goes to show my knowledge of diamonds!

E B

Ideal_Rock
The good news is that it isn't on the table, and as tyty mentioned, may be able to be covered with a prong. And if they say it's eye-clean, it's a good sign (and a good find!).

As far as splitting the money for diamond and setting, remember: the ring is a package deal. In this case, you know your girlfriend loves a specific setting by a specific designer, and if you're able to swing that AND a nice diamond, it'll make the ring that much more special- IMO.

The folks at GOG are good people with good eyes, but if you're worried, reserve the diamond (so no one steals it out from under you) and sleep on it. If you find you're still bothered by the inclusion, I know that on occasion, they've provided short videos so you can 'see' for yourself. Might be worth asking about?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go see the stone and see if it is eye clean for your standards. Easy peasy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say reserve it and go see it. Looks like a great find to me if it is eyeclean! I would definitely get her the setting she wants. As mentioned, it is a package deal!

thomps000

Rough_Rock
So I've asked them to hold the one, but an acquaintance of mine works for a jewelry store and offered me this stone:

.90 SI2 (Eyeclean) in a VG GIA Cut
Depth: 60.8%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 31.5°
Crown Height: 13.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.4°
Pavilion Depth: 44.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 75%
Culet: None

It scores a little lower (higher technically) on the HCA scale. I think it came up as a 2.5. Any thoughts? He could do it at a little under 4,000 he said.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the girdle size?

Will probably not have as good fire performance as a more balance cut due to the shallower crown.

thomps000

Rough_Rock
The girdle is thin to slightly thick, faceted according to him. Is this diamond even worth considering? It seems for a .9 H SI2 it's pretty decently priced, but I am not too sure.

Pat

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buy the GOG stone and the bring that to the store to compare side by side to see which you prefer? If the store stone then return the GOG store for a refund?

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
The Tacori setting prices I got from GOG where jaw dropping. They can also make you custom rings and they will send you images to help you decide. It might be close to Tacori at a lower price. Speak to the folks at GOG they are very nice and will happily work with you.

thomps000

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I've ruled it down to two diamonds, both from Whiteflash.

The first is the one that I'm leaning more towards. It's a .84 I SI1 (Eyeclean) and is their Expert Selection. It is about $3800 after PS and wire discounts.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2666576.htm

The second is the one Sheerah recommended as an alternative. It's a .72 H VS2 ACA and is about $3200 after PS and wire discounts.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2656297.htm

I'm leaning more towards the .84, because of the size and I know all about "diamond shrinkage" over time. But I just want any recommendations if I should lean towards one diamond of the other. Is the .84 worth the extra $600? Am I going to notice a difference?

Thanks again,

Patrick

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both look good to me.

Ask WF to do a blind test of the 2 with their Sales Rep to see which they prefer?

thomps000

Rough_Rock
I will ask Sheerah to do that. Will I notice the difference in size between a .72 and .84? I know there will be a slight difference, but I wasn't sure if it would be that noticeable.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Should be noticeable difference, especially side by side.

thomps000

Rough_Rock
So I am going to pull the trigger on the .84. I went into our local Tacori and found the setting even less expensive because they didn't update the sticker when Tacori had the price increase so I saved another $120!

The dealer is saying that they can set the Tacori setting there and have a guarantee on it for 1 year. Is this the way to do it or should I send it to Tacori to have it set?

Thanks again,

Patrick

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have gone with the .84 I also to grab some extra size.

Whats is the guaranty if Tacori sets it?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
send it to Tacori to have it set.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
thomps000|1311023740|2971676 said:
So I am going to pull the trigger on the .84. I went into our local Tacori and found the setting even less expensive because they didn't update the sticker when Tacori had the price increase so I saved another $120!

The dealer is saying that they can set the Tacori setting there and have a guarantee on it for 1 year. Is this the way to do it or should I send it to Tacori to have it set?

Thanks again,

Patrick

Have Tacori set it. No brainer.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1311043692|2971893 said:
thomps000|1311023740|2971676 said:

Thanks again,

Patrick

Have Tacori set it. No brainer.

100% ditto this. If I were going to invest in a designer setting like that I would have them set it. That way if there are any warranty issues later they can't turn around and blame the bench person who set it.

thomps000

Rough_Rock
I agree. I'll ask them to have Tacori to set it (also so I can have a fresh ring) and the warranty is a nice peace of mind.

Thank you all and I'll get pictures in a month or so when I get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results